What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Brother, I'm not here to convince you what to do or not to do. If you wanna add some pesto sauce or engine oil or goat cream cheese to your soap, be my guest. I'm all for it.

That said, your believing that it is "good for you" and being factually, scientifically right about A/S making the lather better are two different things.

So, while you may actually believe it's great to add alcohol based a/s to lather, it is as a matter of fact counter-productive.

Over & out 😎
Not suggesting that it was "good for me" or that it "scientifically" makes the lather better. I was curious about how it would work and how the scent would change. Sometime I'll try it again with a damp brush, my usual routine.

From my last shave... this morning I loaded a halved Feather blade in my recenty acquired Leaf Twig. The combination resulted in a great BBS shave! Hadn't used a Feather for a while though and forgot how sharp these blades are. Ended up with a nasty nick when hitting a birthmark (known trouble spot).

On my cheek passes, even with a 48-hour beard, 1 pass is really enough. Stretching the skin and the Gillette Slide technique plane me off perfectly. I don't need to try an ATG pass, or I risk collecting a nick (as I did this a.m. on the left cheek).

I’m on vacation so I brought cremo with me. What a pleasant surprise! Light 2 pass shave no irritation. Much better than the last time I used it. When I’m in a hurry I’ll grab cremo.

Maybe I don't need to do the skin-stretching thing to shave my cheeks when the beard is only a 24-hour one. This morning I felt I came close to irritation on the left cheek that way. I should save the stretching for 48-hour beards.

M

mtcn77

Maybe I don't need to do the skin-stretching thing to shave my cheeks when the beard is only a 24-hour one. This morning I felt I came close to irritation on the left cheek that way. I should save the stretching for 48-hour beards.
Yes yes, you need to replenish your skin if you are going to shave close. It takes 3 days to replace the upper layer.

I usually run 2 days between shaves. Perhaps I'll try a 3-day this weekend.

I'm a 2 or 3 day shaver myself. I definitely notice a difference in skin response on the 3rd day. I really enjoy shaving so much that waiting that 3rd day can be like when I was a kid on Xmas eave having to wait just one more day. But much like Xmas morning, that 3rd day is worth the wait for me.

This is what I learned a couple days ago. That osma either sucks, or has a major learning curve. I'm going to put in the time and find out which one it is, I'm not judging a soap by its first or second shave...

M

mtcn77

I'm a 2 or 3 day shaver myself. I definitely notice a difference in skin response on the 3rd day. I really enjoy shaving so much that waiting that 3rd day can be like when I was a kid on Xmas eave having to wait just one more day. But much like Xmas morning, that 3rd day is worth the wait for me.
I feel a diminishing return with mild razors. I don't tend to shave very close with them, it takes more effort especially in the first few passes, but skin reconstitution becomes sooner, almost the same day. So, what we lose in difficulty at the start of the shave is remedied at the next shave. It is pretty bad shaving a patchy skin, I feel especially prone to hair ingrowth during this period.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Decided to add what I call the “Dizzy Gillespie Technique” to my shave routine. WTG, ATG, then clean up passes that include shaving puffed out cheeks. Dizzy would be proud.

B20F850F-CEDB-418E-83A4-ECCC9328DA14.jpeg

Top Bottom