What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Today I experimented with the settings on the '62 Slim. Instead of 5-3-1, I reversed that as I used to do when I first got the razor. And it was a mistake.

Setting 1 is not enough to handle my 48-hour throat bristles on the first pass, and my lower lip didn't like it either. Setting 3 (pass 2) was okay all around, but then 5 felt too aggressive on my throat, and I stopped the razor down to 2 for the final pass and cleanup. I'm clean and near BBS. However, I'm uncomfortably aware that I have shaved: less than irritation, and the feeling is fading after lotion and powder, but it is not the super comfortable shave I aim for.

The lesson is, be aware of what your beard needs.

I learned that technique trumps razor design. I shaved last night with a razor I hadn't used in a while because I had found it challenging to get close shaves without irritation so I laid it aside for some time in favor of the flavor of the month.

Well, I picked it up last night and got a great shave from it, far better than any I had gotten from it previously. I attribute this to having developed better technique than I previously had when I last used it.

I learned that technique trumps razor design. I shaved last night with a razor I hadn't used in a while because I had found it challenging to get close shaves without irritation so I laid it aside for some time in favor of the flavor of the month.

Well, I picked it up last night and got a great shave from it, far better than any I had gotten from it previously. I attribute this to having developed better technique than I previously had when I last used it.
I agree 100%, I learned that from a member on this forum.

I learn that I still have not figured out how to shave my chin.
I stop DE shaving for about a year and started again 1 week ago.
I can sympathize, but instead of the chin I find I struggle to get underneath the jawline on my right side for whatever reason, can pull off some DFS but that area always is incredibly tough to get BBS without excessive irritation of razor burn. Funnily enough I do much better on the left side in the same spot. I only shave with my right hand so I sometimes wonder if that is perhaps part of the issue?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My hand seemed to be shaking using my SR this morning, had to put the blade down. I don’t use it much but haven’t experienced this before. I don’t wield a SR with confidence, but this was something different. Hands seem steady now, I’ll try again in the morn and hope for a different result.

My hand seemed to be shaking using my SR this morning, had to put the blade down. I don’t use it much but haven’t experienced this before. I don’t wield a SR with confidence, but this was something different. Hands seem steady now, I’ll try again in the morn and hope for a different result.
Hope all goes well, good luck!

I'm not sure if this video is allowed. If not... Dear Moderator, please delete and accept my apologies. :blush:
I learn that I still have not figured out how to shave my chin.
I stop DE shaving for about a year and started again 1 week ago.
I've always found geofatboy's "How To Shave Your Trouble Spots!" video very helpful:

And thanks for reminding me! Revision is good. I'll watch it again now. :cornut:

Best of luck!! Hope that all is well!! :clap: :clap:

That a mix of Barbasol with a shaving cream, in this case Trumper's Almond, scuttle-whips up into a nice thick lather and produces an awesome shave. I've used Barbasol and TOBS Peppermint before with good results, too.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I learned that I’m getting better at determining my preference for DE blades. Once I’ve narrowed my preferences I would prefer to limit the variety I now have in rotation. I feel determined to “use up“ inferior blades...but to what end?The expense was minimal and necessary in the discovery process. I think I’m ready to punt some blades that didn’t make the cut.

Learned two things today:
1. When you are on the 2nd day of shaving on 2 consecutive days never experiment with blade, razor, brush or shaving soap. Always rely on the most trusted ones!
2. Also on such days try to use an aggressive and mild combination of razor and blade for a hassle free 2 pass shave

"Always check razor head tightness, before applying to face!"
R41 on top of an Icon stainless OSS. I noticed a slight 'roughness' a couple of strokes and too easily made fillet of my top layer of skin... 'This isn't how I remember R41s!' I checked how tight my razor head is... "oh, Dear Gawd!"
Evil, evil tool!

Top Bottom