What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that a cartridge is acceptable if you use it with DE technique and no pressure.

Had to use one because the TSA hates DE blades

What ?!

I hate TSA ....... wonder if they have ever actually found a weapon.

Anyway ... I’ve been on the hunt for an acceptable cartridge to use when traveling with carry-on only ..... what did you use? Best I’ve come up with so far is Gillette Guard (from India)

What ?!

Anyway ... I’ve been on the hunt for an acceptable cartridge to use when traveling with carry-on only ..... what did you use? Best I’ve come up with so far is Gillette Guard (from India)

Not allow DE blades, but allow up to 4" blade scissors, blade, not total length. I guess they don't realize they're allowing 2 4" blade knifes onboard by the removal of a screw.

Not allow DE blades, but allow up to 4" blade scissors, blade, not total length. I guess they don't realize they're allowing 2 4" blade knifes onboard by the removal of a screw.
I have carried DE blades onto planes multiple times in my carry on. I did this as recently as last July. I never heard of them being restricted and no one stopped me!

What ?!

I like the Quattro. For twin blades, the Schick ST2 is decent because it goes under the nose easily

I just get tempted to use pressure because cartridge handles are lightweight

That I need to whip up the Tabac shave soap from the stick a lot more. Even set at 3 and then 2, my Slim w/ a Personna blade felt a little rough this morning on my throat, and I wonder if it was because my lather was weak.

I have carried DE blades onto planes multiple times in my carry on. I did this as recently as last July. I never heard of them being restricted and no one stopped me!
From TSA's web site:

Razor-Type Blades

• Carry On Bags: No
  • Checked Bags: Yes
Box cutters, razor blades not in a cartridge are prohibited in carry-on.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Scissors

• Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
  • Checked Bags: Yes
If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.
What Can I Bring?

I suppose that this could be awkward on internal flights - but then, when you get to where you're going you could always buy a tuck of what's available locally.

This may not meet your exacting standards, but sometimes "this will have to do" is fine.

If you're flying overseas then get what you can get there.

Every blade I like is made elsewhere.

When you arrive you may well be able to buy good blades more cheaply than you can at home.

Last edited:
I learned that if I have only 24 hrs of facial hair growth and I’m shaving with the Gillette Slim Adjustable; to go no higher than level 6 when using it with a Rapira super stainless blade.

I leaned that while my facial hair may require an agressive razor to mow everything down to BBS, my sensitive skin is rarely up for that game.

Best shave, from my razors, I get would be: razorock German slant, followed by razorock baby smooth... However, those would probably fall in the other direction regarding post shave feel due to sensitivity. My ball end Gillette would top out as the best feeling (and we all know that's a super subdued shaver...).

Might play with the idea of switching mid-blade... First (sharpest) three shaves with the Gillette, then put it into one of the more agressive types for 4-7.

Experiment time. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A good razor to start a Greenhorn DE newbie out is the Razorock SLOC, won't break the bank and should not bite a person learning his or (her legs.....) technique. I just like this razor mild to mid range for aggression and high for efficiency and carefree to use!

I learned that for me - I do not smell the scent of the soap all that much when I start to lather it in my bowl and that when I apply the lather to my face, it seems to be toned down a lot vs. smelling it from the container.

A quick dip of the bristle tips into some water on the 3rd pass can help rejuvenate the lather.
That's fine if you have warm/cold water.
If you start off with very hot water (and you have doused your face with it several times before you load the brush) then the soap adheres to the skin better because it has softened/melted, and so even after a light rinse there is residual slickness on the skin that eases the passage of the blade.
It also adheres to the brush tips better whilst transferring to the face.
I'm looking for a "slippery surface" rather than lather.
The whiskers melt in the heat. :001_smile

I learned that I shave better if I don't shower before shaving! Looks like my skin prefered just a tuch of warm wather before shawe.

That's fine if you have warm/cold water.
If you start off with very hot water (and you have doused your face with it several times before you load the brush) then the soap adheres to the skin better because it has softened/melted, and so even after a light rinse there is residual slickness on the skin that eases the passage of the blade.
It also adheres to the brush tips better whilst transferring to the face.
I'm looking for a "slippery surface" rather than lather.
The whiskers melt in the heat. :001_smile

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try hotter water, or the melting whiskers trick.

Though it's not from my last shave, I've learned that though I love the idea of No-Shave November, I hate No-Shave November. I won't be doing this again...

I learned that if I have only 24 hrs of facial hair growth and I’m shaving with the Gillette Slim Adjustable; to go no higher than level 6 when using it with a Rapira super stainless blade.
In my case, no higher than a 3 with a Personna Red. Even with good lather from my Tabac stick, my throat is still aware that it was shaved. Not irritated, just aware.

Traveling means using the same set-up day after day and really getting to know how to get the best out of these products! :a14::a14:

My last shave was on Tuesday; see post 9880. I'm skipping today, even though I'm working until noon, because I want a good close shave tomorrow before Linda and I go out to Thanksgiving buffet at a local upscale restaurant. At 10:15 am, mind you; it was the only slot they had. Thanksgiving brunch, I suppose. A happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Top Bottom