What's new

What cartridge razor would you use if you couldn't use a safety razor?

I have started experimenting with the older cartridge razors. So far I love the Atra and Sensor Excel. I doubt I will ever use my hydro 5 again. It seems that anything past 2 blades is apt to making ingrown hairs on me.

Which do you prefer? I'm thinking of just getting a Mach 3 because the blades are a lot easier to come by compared to the Sensor.
I used to get closer shaves and less irritation with Fusion and used it last 3-4 years before starting DE shaving last month.

Sensor or Sensor Excel. I think it's the best cartridge razor ever made being close, comfortable, & smooth. However, I still prefer Double edge which leaves my skin looking better.

When in a hurry I always go back to track ii for the past 12 years. To match the price, shave quality of the trac I haven't found any cart up to now. (IMHO)

I used to use, and would use, the Sensor to edge my sideburns and get under the nose and a Quattro everywhere else. The Sensor always cuts me next to the corners of my mouth, but even the edger on a Quattro won't edge those side burns, as surprising as that is. I tried Mach 3 and Fusion. Not as good as Quattro for me.

I've changed my mind. Just ordered a Sensor razor which comes with 2 Excel cartridges and 1 Sensor3 cartridge for £6.33 delivered.

I used to use, and would use, the Sensor to edge my sideburns and get under the nose and a Quattro everywhere else. The Sensor always cuts me next to the corners of my mouth, but even the edger on a Quattro won't edge those side burns, as surprising as that is. I tried Mach 3 and Fusion. Not as good as Quattro for me.
Nineteen years ago, I was an occasional user of multi-bladed pivoting razors, and primarily a DE razor person, using a standard length Super Adjustable, with a couple of Slims as backup. I never did get a good bottom line under my sideburns from any razors other than those with a single blade, be it a DE / SE / Injector. Financially, when I became seriously underemployed, I ended up with two badly paid jobs that still didn't add up to my former income, and was rushing my shaves. My DE shaves moved to weekends when I had more time, and Sensors had me in thrall for almost two decades.

Neither a Sensor3, Mach3, nor Fusion could match the two-bladed Sensor. Schick multi-blade razors were less problematic than Fusions, but I never found any real competitor / clone of what the Sensor is. I did find a substitute for my DE for the bottom line on my sideburns -- the trimmer accessory on a Norelco cordless shaver works fairly well. I never had any trouble AT ALL anywhere getting nicks with my Sensor.

Atra since Sensor/Sensor Excel carts are much higher. I also have a (unused) cased TracII but I may just keep it NOS.

if i didnt have the use of a de razor for the face i would use the gillette guard that i use for my head. It is a single blade and gives a great shave and dosent clog up like most cartridge razors do.

I actually hate cartridge razoes, but if I had to choose one because I couldn't shave with my double edge I would use a Gillette Mach3.
It doesn't have as many blades as a Fusion and therefore doesn't irritate my face as much. The Mach3 still has two too many blades for my sensitive skin, but it gives a better shave for me than 4 or 5-blade razors.

Last edited:
I still use my beloved Mühle Sophist Black Resin Fusion for when ever I have 4+ days of beard growth.
The shave I get from this is second to none. No ingrown hairs, no irritation for 1 pass WTG and touch up pass ATG.

Only a shave with my Mühle R41 comes close in quality of shave to my Fusion when I have long stubbles.

On the other hand the Fusion gives me less of a mild shave and more ingrown hair if I shave with it when I have 1-4 days of beard growth. So for 1-4 days growth, I've found nothing beats my DE razors.

CVS has the introductory Sensor3 razor, new, with just two cartridges, for 9.99 (original cost 20 years ago, about $3.95, maybe just $2.95), but it can be used just fine with the "plain" two-blade sensor cartridges, or the Personna cartridges sold under the Burma Shave label, for one third the cost of the Gillette cartridges. My nearby CVS also had replaced the VDH soap with a puck of Williams that appears to still be a Tallow soap, no matter that it's new.

Gillette Atra with Walmart Wilkie Blades. I found an Atra handle at a flea market for $5 and stopped and spent $3 on blades at Walmart and had a great shave. If I don't have a great amount of time, I'll use some Barbasol in a can and the Atra and splash on some Barbasol afterwards. It's a good quick shave and the blades are cheap enough to use 3 or 4 times then toss.

Top Bottom