What's new

What cartridge razor would you use if you couldn't use a safety razor?

When I want a quick shave I use a Schick Hydro 3. If I am taking my time I use a Trac II style, usually my Old Spice handle with a Wilkinson cartridge from Wally World.

I'm not sure why some people are finding it hard to find the Gillette Sensor excel handles and blades? Here in Canada, I have no trouble finding brand new Sensor excel blades and handles. They fully stock them at Walmart and Zellers for about $6.50. Everytime they sell out, they always get more right away. There are full pegs of new Sensor excel razors, you get the handle plus three carts (two twin blade ones and a 3 bladed bonus cart). They also stock the 5, 8 and 10 cart refills. The 8 cartridge refills are the 3 bladed ones.

I would probably go to a twenty-cent Bic before using any of the carts.

I'll argue that an injector is a cartridge razor, so I'll stick with that.

I'd grow a beard :kyle1:

It would be one of these three; I am not going to use anything with more than one blade in it on a daily basis.

Actually the only thing this thread inspires me to is to think about getting me more DE-blades to join my 25 years worth stock.....:lol:

No more cartridges here. The mark up on them must be astronomical.
Not very B&B but those BIC Sensitives that came out in 1975 are now my weapon of choice.

S

Sydney Guy

I'm not sure why some people are finding it hard to find the Gillette Sensor excel handles and blades? Here in Canada, I have no trouble finding brand new Sensor excel blades and handles. They fully stock them at Walmart and Zellers for about $6.50. Everytime they sell out, they always get more right away. There are full pegs of new Sensor excel razors, you get the handle plus three carts (two twin blade ones and a 3 bladed bonus cart). They also stock the 5, 8 and 10 cart refills. The 8 cartridge refills are the 3 bladed ones.

I don't buy Sensor carts, but there's no shortage of Sensor cartridges on sale here in Australia. Since I don't see any generic Sensor cartridges on sale I assume that the patents on this "invention" are still valid in this country. If I were running Gillette, I would be trying to make users switch to one of my newer razors where the patents still have many years to run from the old ones that have patents soon to expire, by stopping production of handles and making cartridges difficult to find. Maybe offer a free Fusion in exchange for your old Sensor handle?

My guess is that Gillette patented the Sensor in the US first, and in Canada & Australia somewhat later. Since the patent protection lasts 17(?) years from the date that the patent is granted in that country, it's quite common for something to be in patent here while out-of-patent overseas.

I haven't tried any of them but I've heard only the best about the excel. Maybe I'll give it a try one day.

After today's shave, I say I would go with the Gillette Blue II without even having tried the excel. Damn, I would have never expected such a great shave from a cheap disposable razor.

Atra. I switched from the Atra to the Mach 3 some time in the '90s when the Atra blades became scarce, and was never satisfied with it. Until seeing this thread, it never occurred to me to look for Atra blades again, or their generic equivalents. Maybe I'll pick some up for the heck of it since I still have the handle...

I used a Schick quattro for as long as i can remember before discovering DE. I still use the Schick when im in a rush. Not knowing any better cart, i guess i'd keep on with that

I would use my trusty 1983 Atra. That was the most modern I ever went until recently when someone gave me a Sensor. Nice razor but the cartridges are too expensive. Is there a generic blade for the Sensor yet?

trac 2.

i remember using an Atra way back when, the mid 1980's, maybe?, back then i wasn't really paying attention to my shaves or shaving gear.
what a shame.
i can't remember using a trac 2 either, i'm making up for lost time nowadays! i really enjoy the shaves i'm getting these days with my cheap handle and drug store/dollar store twin blade carts.

fwiw, i treated myself to a metal trac 2 handle for xmas and some TOBS eaton college shave cream, hopefully they'll both arrive before christmas!

I would use my trusty 1983 Atra. That was the most modern I ever went until recently when someone gave me a Sensor. Nice razor but the cartridges are too expensive. Is there a generic blade for the Sensor yet?

Rite-Aid drugstores sell Acti-Flexx twin-bladed cartridges.

I used an Atra and the Wilkinson Sword copy of the Atra...if I had to go back to one of them I would be OK...but thankfully I won't have to go back to them...DE most days and straight on the weekends

For me, it would be definitively a Gillette Contour Plus. First because I have one :tongue_sm, and alors because cartridges are still availables and at low prices.

And it's a fine good razor, still today... :thumbup:

Top Bottom