What's new

What are your favorite soaps in hot seasons?

Well, this year I'm trying to pare down the soaps and creams. I'd like to finish off some of my older soft soaps and creams during the warm weather.

Omega Eucalyptus (older black tub)
Proraso White
Razorock The Dead Sea
Speick cream

Others:
Haslinger Coconut
Haslinger Sage
Wilkinson Sword stick

I'd like to mention if you use the PAA Ice Cube v2 pre-shave, then every soap can become mentholated! This creates some unusual combos.

I have never paid much attention to the "seasonality" of fragrances, neither with my shaving soaps/creams, nor with EDTs/EDPs I sport.

So, I only have favorite shaving soaps, no matter what the time of the year is. If I must pick smth. "light", as presumably that's what a "summer scent" should be, then Cella Extra Extra Bio and A&E The Undersea would be among my choices.

Historically Proraso Green has been my go-to for a hot summer morning but I've got a couple of Goodfellas soaps that I think will do well: Orange Empire and Pino Alpestre (a very fresh pine scent).

Queen Charlotte Soaps. There’s a blast from the past.
I've still got quite a few Queen Charlotte soap tubs in my stash. When I first got into wet shaving about 10 years ago I loaded up with way too much stuff (lots of Taylor of Old Bond Street too) and I just haven't made my way through it all yet. I think I only ever got the little sampler of Vostok though. I thought I had a full-sized tub, but it appears not...

Gentleman's Nod Sir Winston, a Blenheim Bouquet homage with citrus, lavender and black pepper. I live in Florida and this was a a perfect choice for today.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't understand the "seasonal" scent ideology. I just use whatever I like the smell of whenever I feel like it. Perhaps I'm very unsophisticated in this area, but I see no reason to do otherwise. I also don't understand how a certain scent is more of a spring/summer thing vs a fall/winter thing.

I will admit though, there are a very few scents I associate with seasons/holidays. Things like spiced pumpkin or gingerbread will invoke Halloween or Christmas vibes, so if I had them, I may not use them as often or in, say, the summer.

As for mentholated soaps, I use them anytime throughout the year also; I like the menthol feeling. I can also add menthol, real or synthetic, as desired if the soap is lacking.

I hope this didn't come off as rude, as it is not meant to be. It's just something I can't relate to at the moment. For me, part of the fun of shaving is using something I like the scent of in that moment.

Was just yesterday putting aside tubs to take to my beach place, so I guess these are my summer soaps:
A&E SoCal Hipster
A&E St Barts
DR Harris Arlington
Ethos Colonia
Ethos Greenfresh
Grooming Department Angel
Grooming Department L'Avventura (smells like cut grass)
Grooming Department Valencia
Tallow + Steel Indian Bay

My four soap cream/rotation isn't set yet but I have in mind.

Uncle Jon's Cucumber Melon
Muhle's Sea Buckthorn soap
Lather bros. Summer 305.
I will add a cream. I always like something I can lather fast in a pinch.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't understand the "seasonal" scent ideology. I just use whatever I like the smell of whenever I feel like it. Perhaps I'm very unsophisticated in this area, but I see no reason to do otherwise

Add another to the minority.

For me currently my two favorites are MdC Original (my only MdC at least for now) and DR Harris Arlington. I have enjoyed the DR Harris for some time but am a newcomer to MdC.

I’m thoroughly impressed with MdC. For me it is a clean close shaving soap. Some have criticized it for being drying. I consider my skin to be somewhat average and have not found it drying at all whereas Proraso Green I found very drying. Preshave I wash my face with Cera Ve facial cleanser which may or may not be the solution to others experiencing drying. I also finish with Dickenson’s WH and the typically a Fine or Floid splash. This combination leaves my 63 year old face feeling great all day. For me the MdC is special as to cleanses, scent and performance.

Taconic Shave Eucalyptus Mint
Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme
DR Harris Arlington

or a nice menthol shaving cream: Dettol cool, Godrej, Vi-John all have way more menthol than Proraso.

Cold water shave and a nice cold aftershave splash that's been stored in the fridge feels great on a hot humid day. I like synthetic brushes year round but they are great for cold water shaving since they don't need to soak.

My summer selection:
Stirling Margaritas in the arctic
Stirling Lemon chill glacial
The goodfellas smile abysso
The goodfellas smile sea citrus
Martin de Candre Agrumes

Add another to the minority.

For me currently my two favorites are MdC Original (my only MdC at least for now) and DR Harris Arlington. I have enjoyed the DR Harris for some time but am a newcomer to MdC.

I’m thoroughly impressed with MdC. For me it is a clean close shaving soap. Some have criticized it for being drying. I consider my skin to be somewhat average and have not found it drying at all whereas Proraso Green I found very drying. Preshave I wash my face with Cera Ve facial cleanser which may or may not be the solution to others experiencing drying. I also finish with Dickenson’s WH and the typically a Fine or Floid splash. This combination leaves my 63 year old face feeling great all day. For me the MdC is special as to cleanses, scent and performance.

What do you think of the MdC Original scent? I remember it used to be really polarizing, especially back before they had an unscented option (or other scents) and it was the only option for MdC. I kinda like the scent...it reminds me a bit of asphalt on a hot day, but in a good way. Sadly, it's got rosemary in it, so I can't use it...it makes my skin burn like Hell's fires.

Top Bottom