What's new

Simplifying my soap choices - Bracketology

I am not a collector of shaving soaps. With the passing of MWF (tallow) I am in the market for *the one true soap*. So I have purchased an array of Stirling soap samples in my quest for a replacement. My current shaving routine consists of one razor, one brush, one unscented soap (MWF), and 3 sparingly-used colognes (to scent the lather). I have a backup soap (Aramis), a backup razor and blades, and two backup brushes in case of a meteor strike or nuclear war.

When the soap samples arrive I want to get through them as quickly and efficiently as possible in order to get my mornings back on their current, simple track. See graph below:

Snake_elephant.jpg

I figure that the best I can do is to compare two soaps at a time so I thought I'd seek your assistance in this effort.

1) How do you compare 2 shaving soaps to each other? (As in what is your process).
2) Given 8 soaps how would you organize the Darwinian competition for survival? NCAA bracket? Double-elimination tournament? Bubble sort?
3) What is the best way to dispose of the ones I decide not to keep? Offer them here (for free including shipping) individually or as a group? Send them to a charity that runs an adopt-a-puck program?

Thanks

Reactions: Roy
I don't think you're getting through Stirling samples quickly. The 1 oz slices last a good while. If you want to take the minimalist approach to wet shaving keep using MWF soap. No reason at all you couldn't get an excellent shave even with the veggie formula if you know how to wet shave properly. I know changing formulas gets everyone's panties in a bunch but tallow in shave soap isn't the end all be all. I'm sure MWF tallow could be reasonably obtained, anyway.

If I were choosing from an array of Stirling samples I suppose I would just pick the soap that my nose liked best...all of mine (6?...7?) shave pretty great.

brucered

System Generated
1. If I use a soap and it's a top 3 of all time, it's a keeper. If not, I don't buy it again.

2. No clue. Shouldn't be needed if they are all from the same maker. Even if they were from multiple soap makers, it shouldn't be that difficult to decide which you like best. I don't understand shave brackets and soap ratings. Brackets are for sporting tournaments, not shaving.

3. If they suck, throw them out. Used soaps gross me out, so I would never accept or use one from someone else. You can offer up a forum giveaway, group them to save on shipping. You are not eligible to sell.

It's just shaving. Don't over think it.

Last edited:
I don't think you're getting through Stirling samples quickly. The 1 oz slices last a good while. If you want to take the minimalist approach to wet shaving keep using MWF soap. No reason at all you couldn't get an excellent shave even with the veggie formula if you know how to wet shave properly. I know changing formulas gets everyone's panties in a bunch but tallow in shave soap isn't the end all be all. I'm sure MWF tallow could be reasonably obtained, anyway.
I'm trying to get back to "normal" in the most efficient way and the shortest time. Sort of like what-is-the-smallest-number-of-shaves-that-will-return-an-accurate-choice thinking instead of discover-the-final-answer-in-2031-if-I'm-still-alive thinking. If they sold 3-shave samples I'd have bought them.

The last product I really liked that went away from tallow was McDonald's fries. That didn't turn out well. So my instinct is to open up to other products that are scentless or nearly so and use tallow. If any of them work, I'm done. If none do I'll circle back to MWF (palm oil).

As far as I can tell, my panties (or their equivalent) remain unbunched.

As far as obtaining MWF (tallow) - I just bought some on eBay and was shipped MWF (palm oil) so not as easy as one might think.

3. If they suck, throw them out. Used soaps gross me out, so I would never accept or use one from someone else. You can offer up a forum giveaway, group them to save on shipping. You are not eligible to sell.

It's just shaving. Don't over think it.
Dealing with "they suck" is usually pretty simple. The used soap thing is interesting - I think of shaving soap as, you know, soap. Perhaps that opinion is an outlier and others think of it more like a toothbrush. The giveaway thing is a useful idea - if I find an early winner at least the unopened ones will be acceptable to everyone. As to "You are not eligible to sell." - what part of "Offer them here (for free including shipping)" suggests commerce to you?

I'm trying to get back to "normal" in the most efficient way and the shortest time. Sort of like what-is-the-smallest-number-of-shaves-that-will-return-an-accurate-choice thinking instead of discover-the-final-answer-in-2031-if-I'm-still-alive thinking. If they sold 3-shave samples I'd have bought them.

Maybe I'm confused, but my understanding is that you ordered a number of Stirling samples to find your "one true soap", a suitable replacement for MWF, which was your preferred tallow soap.

Did you also order soap from any other maker? If not, and you are only choosing from the Stirling samples, your choice should be easy.

Stirling makes two soap bases that I am aware of: one with mutton tallow (anything with sheep in the name) and the rest are beef tallow...three if you consider their beeswax formula, which also contains beef tallow.

All to say:

I don't know what you ordered, but all of the Stirling beef tallow soaps should shave the same, as will the mutton soaps. If you don't discover a preference between the two, it comes down to the scent you like.

If you did happen to order the beeswax, and love it, your search is over.

I don't know what you ordered, but all of the Stirling beef tallow soaps should shave the same, as will the mutton soaps. If you don't discover a preference between the two, it comes down to the scent you like.

If you did happen to order the beeswax, and love it, your search is over.
I ordered all three, beef tallow, sheep tallow, and beeswax, plus a few scented ones. Your post makes me optimistic about the chances of finding one I like.

brucered

System Generated
Dealing with "they suck" is usually pretty simple. The used soap thing is interesting - I think of shaving soap as, you know, soap. Perhaps that opinion is an outlier and others think of it more like a toothbrush. The giveaway thing is a useful idea - if I find an early winner at least the unopened ones will be acceptable to everyone. As to "You are not eligible to sell." - what part of "Offer them here (for free including shipping)" suggests commerce to you?
It was just a heads up, nothing more, nothing less.

As for the used soaps, many will gladly use them. I see it the same as a shower bar at the hotel. They don't leave the used one there for the next guest.

Hopefully you find a soap you like from your samples.

I ordered all three, beef tallow, sheep tallow, and beeswax, plus a few scented ones. Your post makes me optimistic about the chances of finding one I like.

Fantastic...you covered all three. 🙂👍

Personally, I've used the beef and mutton and both shaved fine for me with no noticeable difference, though I haven't tried the beeswax.

One last thing I will add for perspective is that other than a couple of the old "classics" (Arko and non-tallow Williams) I find that I can shave with just about any shaving soap or cream...vegan or otherwise.

As for the used soaps, many will gladly use them. I see it the same as a shower bar at the hotel. They don't leave the used one there for the next guest.

When you put it like that...ewwww!

I have gotten a few used tubs gifted to me by members here, and I've used those. Unlike used hotel soap, I'm now hoping none were rubbed directly on any body parts...😳😳😳

...and hopefully those hairs were just badger...😄😄😄

brucered

System Generated
When you put it like that...ewwww!

I have gotten a few used tubs gifted to me by members here, and I've used those. Unlike used hotel soap, I'm now hoping none were rubbed directly on any body parts...😳😳😳

...and hopefully those hairs were just badger...😄😄😄
That's true. But on the flip side, none have been potentially exposed to brush lathered over blood from a knick or cut for the second pass. There is a reason eBay doesn't allow used cosmetics. I don't buy the "it's soap and cleans itself" argument.

They are still allowed to be given away and sold on B&B. With all the health risks floating around these days, I do feel it's only a matter of time before that changes. Ask someone in the medical field and see that they say or the look they give you when you tell them you want to trade or buy a used shave soap online, from a complete stranger.

I couldn't tell you how many soaps and creams I've seen in the BST over the years with "hairs" visible in the listing photos. No thanks.

It's a giant can of worms and maybe better for a separate thread.

Top Bottom