What's new

What Are You Reading?

Frank Herbert's Dune Messiah. If you stopped at Dune, I'd recommend you pressing on. I intend on reading the whole series this Summer.

Many years ago, I quit midway through "God Emperor of Dune," after loving the first book and liking the next two. From what I understand, the quality declined even more after that. If you get through them, let us know what you think.

I'm blasting through "The Man in the High Castle," Philip K. Dick, and loving it. This may lead to a binge.

I am reading Peter Pan (the original version) to the 5yo munchkin. I started reading classics to her last July/August. We read to her every night unless she gets to bed late because she is goofing around.

I started a tradition where I would go to the book store and pick a classic novel in a nice leather bound hardback. I would read a chapter or so a night and when it was done we would watch a movie pertaining to it if we can. I put her age and dates that it was read to her inside the front cover. When she gets grown I hope that she will charish the memories. Maybe even do the same to her kids and show the marks to them.

So far we have read...
Treasure Island (paperback due to moving from Florida to California)
The Adventures of Tom Sawer
Charolets web
Peter Pan (Current)

And I get to reread the classics and some I havnt read before.

This book is wasted on high school students. Somehow I managed to avoid it in school, read it for the first time as an adult. Glad I did.

Be prepared for it to be weirder than you expect and for different reasons than you expect. Read it for the first time last year and woo boy.

I need to keep the Google machine nearby to figure out the meaning of nautical terms and parts of whales and ships.

Stalled out on my re-read of Dune Messiah. I just finished reading Emma Bull's War for the Oaks. A nice fun read, reminded me of Charles DeLint's Jack of Kinrowan.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Now, I'm reading "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" by Laura Hilenbrand! :thumbsup:

"#1 New York Times Bestseller • Soon a Major Motion Picture - Directed by Angelina Jolie • Hailed as the top nonfiction book of the year by Time magazine • Winner of the Los Angeles TimesBook Prize for biography and the Indies Choice Adult Nonfiction Book of the Year award.

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.

The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he’d been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown".

proxy.php

Read More: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8664353-unbroken

proxy.php
“To live fully, one has to read widely”. CBJ

proxy.php
"A film is never really good unless the camera is an eye in the head of a poet". Orson Welles

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord of the Flies. I read it again, after several years, when I took my class of 10-11 year olds on an overnight field trip to the Oregon coast last week. Watching a group of children interact at the same time that your mind is wrapped in the world of this book is a very interesting experience. Mind you, I didn't read more than a couple chapters of it on the bus rides to the different places we were going. But I did finish it the weekend after while the experience was still very fresh in my mind. I highly recommend you reread/read this book this summer. You won't regret it one bit.

$book10.jpg

Right now I am reading The Republic (Plato). I just finished book 1 the other day and so far it is pretty good. I finished Gettysburg (Stephen Sears) as a precursor to a trip the wife and I made to the battlefield a couple of weeks ago.

I also tend to pick a summer study topic that I pick up at the end of the spring semester. I think it counts, doing a lot of reading. This summer is the self-concept, sense of self, and the development of the individual identity.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Just started "A Game of Thrones." You can only go for so long hearing about how good something is before you have to try it yourself. It sounds like it's right up my alley.

Top Bottom