What's new

What TV Series from Your Childhood do you remember?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I note that we have a thread about Favorite Books from Your Childhood and a thread about What TV Series are you Watching
I thought it might be fun to see what TV shows from your childhood, youth or early adulthood you recall fondly.

I am fond of many of the old sitcoms such as I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart, Gomer Pyle USMC etc.
I also recall the excitement of sitting down in front of the tube on a Saturday morning to watch the Road Runner outsmart the Coyote, Top Cat, Yogi Bear and others.

Which shows do you remember fondly?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In elementary school I used to walk home for lunch and I'd watch a Leave it to Beaver rerun. I thought it was cool that I was watching/enjoying a show that my dad watched when he was a kid.
I liked that show as well. I recently tried to procure a copy of the series on DVD and had major issues with the disks and had to return them.
I'll look for it from another supplier.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As a child I loved reruns of the 1965 black and white TV series " The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe", starring Robert Hoffmann. I still adore the theme music. I also fondly recall sitting on my Father's knee and watching a natural history program called "The World About Us".

I was raised on a steady diet of Adam-12, Emergency 51, CHiPs. I was raised in NJ and had never been farther west than Pennsylvania. On my first trip to California as an adult I was walking around Anaheim and I had the strangest feeling that I had somehow been there before. Then I remembered those formative TV shows.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
All the westerns of the late 1950's/early 1960's: Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Maverick, Bonanza, etc.
But my personal favorite was the WWII drama, Combat, starring Vic Morrow.
Combat was great. I also loved The Rat Patrol, though it was panned at the time because it was essentially based on a UK Group, and the show had 4 Americans and one Brit in it!
Maverick was a great show, and there was some real drama between James Garner and the Studio. I can't say I blamed him for walking.
In that genre, I'll add Have Gun Will Travel!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As a child I loved reruns of the 1965 black and white TV series " The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe", starring Robert Hoffmann. I still adore the theme music. I also fondly recall sitting on my Father's knee and watching a natural history program called "The World About Us".
Was The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe a British made series?

The Adventures of Superman. I was crushed when I learned George Reeves had committed suicide (which some say was murder).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was raised on a steady diet of Adam-12, Emergency 51, CHiPs. I was raised in NJ and had never been farther west than Pennsylvania. On my first trip to California as an adult I was walking around Anaheim and I had the strangest feeling that I had somehow been there before. Then I remembered those formative TV shows.
I love Adam 12, though I wasn't as fond of the kind of campy CHips.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Adventures of Superman. I was crushed when I learned George Reeves had committed suicide (which some say was murder).
He unfortunately thought that his fans were all kids. He had no idea that so many adults sat down and watched his show. There are a lot of anecdotal stories about him such as the kid bringing a gun to a live appearance and him talking the kid into giving the gun up for fear a bullet would ricochet off him and hurt someone.
I recall reading once that he witnessed people laughing and saying "Superman!" during a screening of "From Here to Eternity" in which he had a smaller part.

Combat was great. I also loved The Rat Patrol, though it was panned at the time because it was essentially based on a UK Group, and the show had 4 Americans and one Brit in it!
Maverick was a great show, and there was some real drama between James Garner and the Studio. I can't say I blamed him for walking.
In that genre, I'll add Have Gun Will Travel!
That was one that slipped my mind. I meant to include that one too. If memory recalls, at some point it was also called Paladin? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I recall Flipper, Skippy (The Bush Kangaroo) very vaguely Fireball XL5 and quite vividly Stingray.

I absolutely recall the theme tunes and words wherein of all these series, with exception of Fireball XL5.

There are a ton more, but that should do for now. Oh and Catweasel was excellent.
Love Flipper, as well as "Gentle Ben" about a Bear. I watched a U.S. Show that was set in Australia, but I can't recall the name of it for the life of me.

Top Bottom