What's new

What are some good Rose shaving soaps?

I recently got a tub of TOBS Rose cream. I like the performance of it but I found the scent to be very faint. Almost unidentifiable to my nose.

I like TOBS Mr Taylors too, so we must have very different preferences. The Rose seems somewhat softer (than Mr Taylors), so I have to be careful not to waste it by charging the brush with too much product.

My findings as well but then again I enjoy the lighter scent, this gives the aftershaves a chance to do their thing on stage. ;)

I recently got a tub of TOBS Rose cream. I like the performance of it but I found the scent to be very faint. Almost unidentifiable to my nose.

I like TOBS Mr Taylors too, so we must have very different preferences. The Rose seems somewhat softer (than Mr Taylors), so I have to be careful not to waste it by charging the brush with too much product.
I loved the scent of TOBS Mr Taylors, but for some reason the lather I got out of it just seemed lacking. I still have a pretty good size sample left that I will certainly keep trying with.

Oddly, I have found that I get better (for me) lathers out of the cheap creams like Arko cream, Derby cream, etc. when it comes strictly to creams. I do have a preference for soaps that I can't deny. :001_smile It could also be that I just never found the sweet spot for my TOBS samples yet.

I am a rose scent fanatic so I've tried most of the products mentioned in this thread and some other as well. The hard soap I find to be best is the above mentioned Dusy Kabinett. It's actually one of the very best shaving soaps I've ever used. It is indeed the very same soap as the legendary Klar Kabinett. They've changed one of the oils in it, but that doesn't change anything.

I´ll never ever again buy Trumpers Rose shaving soap. It is actually the worst shaving soap I've ever tried. Some years afterwards it still makes me angry.

If you would venture into shaving creams the Cyril Salter Rose cream mentioned above is the best rose shaving cream I've ever tried. I'd also like to warn you for Harris Rose shaving cream, I got it as soon as it hit the market. It's not bad but the strong colouring gave one of my silvertip brushes an interesting and rather female colour. They hopefully have fixed that problem in later batches.

I'd also like to recommend Aramis Calligraphy Rose Perfume and Montale Black Aoud perfume. The later is not for the faint hearted. It's a very potent and very masculine scent. Rose on testosterone.

In any case I wish you the best of luck in your quest.
Thanks for this, it was very informative. I will definitely watch out for the discoloration if I ever get around to trying the DR Harris Rose cream. (I wish they would make a rose soap!)

My favorites are L&L Grooming Rose Santal, Mike's Rose and Cedarwood, Soap Smooth Rose Cocoa, and LpL Rose de Pushkar. If you are looking for a pure rose with nothing else going on, I would recommend Trumpers rose cream (not soap!).

I concur with Polarbeard above on the Black Aoud suggestion above. Not to get too sidetracked, but if you are after a rose fragrance, try Portrait of a Lady by Frederick Malle and Lumiere Noire by Maison Francis Kurkdjean.
Another user vouching for Mike's, sounds I like I need to try his stuff sooner rather than later. :001_smile

Thanks for the fragrance suggestions as well!

I picked up Cracklin Rosie from The Holy Black before it sold out, and it is a very delightful Rose scent.

Wild West Shaving Co. is putting rose in some of his scents now too, starting with James & Artemus (Rose, Bourbon, Leather)

Eufros / Jabonman Rosa Bourbon is quite nice. I can also recommend LpL's Rose Pushkar.

Those are the only rose scents I have personally tried.

I love rose soaps. And creams. After trying almost all those mentioned, I've settled on three soaps and once cream.
1. Soap Commander Love. And excellent true rose, good performance
2. Le Pere Lucien Rose de Pushkar. Different, a musky rose scent, rather "oriental." Very good performer
3. Martin de Cendre Rose. For me, the best by far. The scent hits that authentic sweet spot, and it is my best-performing soap
4. I've tried and dismissed most of the rose creams. The one that made the cut is the Salter Rose.

My broken arm and rebuilt elbow are healing up nicely, but very slowly. I've been using D. R. Harris Arlington stick and a Mach 3, but today, I finally was able to whip up a bowl of MdC rose; I will try my Fatboy next shave! Bliss; it's been a long summer/fall.
Sorry to hear about your arm/elbow troubles. Glad you are finally able to get back to DE shaving and lather making.

Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre is fantastic. It's not a straight rose scent however. It's a citrusy, spicy, rose scent that I love.

Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre is fantastic. It's not a straight rose scent however. It's a citrusy, spicy, rose scent that I love.
I think that is the only one of their main line that I haven't tried yet. I do have to be careful with some fragrance ingredients found in "spicy" scents (haven't been able to narrow it down) because I get burning irritation. I'll pick up a sample of this sometime for sure.

Another vote for Mike's Natural Soaps Rose & Cedarwood!

Mystic Water Yellow Rose is a good one too.

Definitely grab the Soap Commander Love shaving soap when that's released next month. I would suggest that you pick up their matching balm at the same time. It's good stuff! Scent and performance!

@BlueTomorrow , PM your address to me and I will mail you a chunk(it's fairly hard stuff) of Dusy Kabinett to try before you make the investment of ordering it.

Top Bottom