What's new

Shaving Soap finally give a good lather

Greetings,

I have been using D.R. Harris shaving soap for years but always with trouble getting a good lather. It just always seemed too hard.
My morning ritual would be to soak the brush and bloom the soap. Some 30 minutes minimum.
Later for a good bit. Minimal later.
I live in Arizona and the water is quite hard.

Now a recent trip to London with a stop at the D.R. Harris store on Bond Street.
Bought a new soap replacement. Windsor.
Bloom as usual.
Lather? My goodness, it lathered like a cream!

The soap I have been buying the US is nothing compared to the soap from London.
Granted my soaps were bought online.

I am just posting this to give my elation of the success as I kept thinking I was lathering incorrectly.
I also suspect I may get some responses such as "of course the London soap is better!"

Cheers

Sal

I will answer as to why I continued with D.R. Harris soap for years even though it did not lather well.
Combination of stubbornness and insecurity.
I thought I was doing something wrong and kept working on it and reading about solutions.

I thought I kept doing something wrong.
The amount of soap I could brush on was barely enough for a daily shave but if I went two to three days (weekend break) then I would use shaving cream instead.

Now please understand my stubbornness did not bring me to fly directly to London for a £11.25 soap refill....:001_smile

I thought the story would be nice to share with someone. My wife just rolls her eyes.

Eben Stone

Staff member
This thread reminds me of a documentary I watched about making cheese in Denmark. A guy was making cheese in barrels. He said the center of the barrel is where the best cheese is, and the outer area is... and had some weird word for it that didn't translate well to English. The interviewer asked him what they did with the lower quality cheese. The guy laughed and literally said that's what they export to the Americans.

Top Bottom