What's new

West Coast Canadian Pass-around Box

Nice review. Thanks. Glad you liked the Cyril Salter cream. My favourite. Look forward to getting your take on other stuff in the box.

Hi guys. First I want to apologize for my lack of progress over the past week. Unfortunately we have had serious family health problems and I've been between Montreal and Toronto twice this week. Anyhow, I will meet Luc for lunch today and pass the box off. I really enjoyed trying some of the various soaps out.

So I will keep the Cyro Salter Soap and Mystic Waters soap. In addition, I will keep the straight razor that was included in the box. I hope to be able to get Luke to teach me how to sharpen it. Using a straight razor is on my summer bucket list.

I have added several things to the box including a small tub of JM Fraser soap, a new tub of Monsavon soap which I picked up in France last summer, a new tube of CIlubman Shave Gel as well. I have also put in several types of blades which were not included in the original box. Including some Treets, Sharks , and Rapira.

Finally I am including a unique shave brush in the box. The handle was turned by a fellow Canadian and I received it when we did a handle swap last year. It has a very large knot. I got a 28 mm super badger knot from the Golden Nib. The knot is not yet set with epoxy. The person who takes this can either set it or send it back to me and I will take care of it. The knot is just too big for my liking and I would like to share it with a fellow board member.

Again please except my apologies for not posting this week I'm sure you all understand that family matters often get in the way of our hobbies. I have taken some notes and pictures of the various shaves that I enjoyed over the past week and will post in the near future. In the meantime, I am happy to hand the box off to Luc today and let it continue its journey across our great country.

Last edited:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432025389.947454.jpg this is the brush I will include.

Oh I also kept the sample of Ogallala Rum aftershave. Man, that stuff is like the strongest aftershave I have ever used. It's it has a kick that is on steroids. I was wondering who put it in and if it is available to us Canadians?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
We are all set to do the exchange today over a few sushi! I have my stones with me!

Luc

Staff member
And exchanged is completed. I will get some pictures of the box soonish and post them here. It was nice seeing Ross today. Stay tuned!

Luc

Staff member
First update. Please excuse the pictures as I couldn't find the memory card for the camera so I had to use the iPod to take a few pictures.

I will get a picture of the full box soonish but not right now. I got to find that memory card first. I suspect that someone left it in her laptop...

So, first things first, no kidding it's the soap box. There are a lot of soaps in there and samples. I picked out what I want to try and I will have a full week of new stuff.

Shave #1 was with the Proraso Cream, Merkur Open comb and a mysterious bottle labeled "???? Turkish Aftershave". A quick search indicates that Pepin put it in here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...d-Box?p=7271655&highlight=turkish#post7271655 If you are still reading, where did you get this one? It's similar to Booster Mosswood I find but lemony...

I am not a stranger to the Proraso products. I never tried the new formulation in a cream for. I do have the new soap. The cream seems to be easier to work with a bit. It did a great job and lathered well.

I often read that Merkur has a very mild open comb, it's true. I still got a BBS shave but it was very mild, I might need a few tries to adjust myself to the angle.

Finally, the Duro Turkish Aftershave was very nice. The scent is close to something I know and left a good feeling on the skin.
$photo 2.JPG

Thank you for the review.

The Duro aftershave was given to me by a friend who had traveled there last summer.
Just wish it lasted longer, but it is a great warm weather AS

Comet--I put the Cyril Salter cream and the Ogallala after shave in the box. Glad you like them. Both are available from Fendrihan.

Luc

Staff member
I might be moving away from the Merkur Open Comb. It feels too much like I'm shaving with nothing. Some would say it's good, I say I can't tell if I'm actually shaving something or not. That leads to patches on a few spots (i.e. razor is not giving enough feedback). I was curious about the Yuma so I will possibly try that tomorrow.

The blade angle on the Merkur seems very shallow also. I do not have that issue with my 38c...

I used LaToja cream today. What a difference compared to the stick. Different fragrance, different performance. It delivered great lather. If I do buy LaToja again, it will be in a cream format as the stick is medium in Montreal (hard water).

I used the same Turkish aftershave today. I will move to something else before I finish the bottle. It's good stuff!

I might be moving away from the Merkur Open Comb. It feels too much like I'm shaving with nothing. Some would say it's good, I say I can't tell if I'm actually shaving something or not. That leads to patches on a few spots (i.e. razor is not giving enough feedback). I was curious about the Yuma so I will possibly try that tomorrow.

The blade angle on the Merkur seems very shallow also. I do not have that issue with my 38c...

I used LaToja cream today. What a difference compared to the stick. Different fragrance, different performance. It delivered great lather. If I do buy LaToja again, it will be in a cream format as the stick is medium in Montreal (hard water).

I used the same Turkish aftershave today. I will move to something else before I finish the bottle. It's good stuff!
Boy that box has morphed since it was in Alberta. Good stuff.

Just so ya know, the La Toja cream in the box is the sensitive version, perhaps a different scent than the original. Not sure as I've never used the original though.

Luc

Staff member
I believe that round 2 will be as awesome as round 1...

Luc

Staff member
I switched razor. I took the Yuma this morning, kept the blade from the Merkur for the Yuma. The finish on the razor is okay. It's not as shiny or smooth as the Merkur. The razor is also very light. I was very surprised as the shave was very smooth and it was easy to find the blade angle. For a very cheap razor, I would say that it's worth it. If you are traveling, it's a great razor. I was always on the line to buy one, I will most probably buy one now.

I tried the Giovanni shave cream (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...anadian-Pass-around-Box?p=7340550#post7340550 - Thanks Royal52). The tube did not explicitly say brushless but did mention to lather in your hand, then face, then wait, then shave (I'm giving the short version from the tube here). I tried to lather with my brush and it did not work. It clogged the brush more than anything. I then proceeded to wash it off, clean the brush and took the Real Shaving Company sensitive cream. I tried the regular version in the East Coast box and this one did not disappoint either. I always thought those were brushless (like Giovanni) but you can lather those. I often use Kiss my Face and really like it. They work well with a brush.

I finished with my own Aqua Velva ice sport. overall, very good shave.

I switched razor. I took the Yuma this morning, kept the blade from the Merkur for the Yuma. The finish on the razor is okay. It's not as shiny or smooth as the Merkur. The razor is also very light. I was very surprised as the shave was very smooth and it was easy to find the blade angle. For a very cheap razor, I would say that it's worth it. If you are traveling, it's a great razor. I was always on the line to buy one, I will most probably buy one now.

I tried the Giovanni shave cream (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...anadian-Pass-around-Box?p=7340550#post7340550 - Thanks Royal52). The tube did not explicitly say brushless but did mention to lather in your hand, then face, then wait, then shave (I'm giving the short version from the tube here). I tried to lather with my brush and it did not work. It clogged the brush more than anything. I then proceeded to wash it off, clean the brush and took the Real Shaving Company sensitive cream. I tried the regular version in the East Coast box and this one did not disappoint either. I always thought those were brushless (like Giovanni) but you can lather those. I often use Kiss my Face and really like it. They work well with a brush.

I finished with my own Aqua Velva ice sport. overall, very good shave.
Great review Luc.

Yeah, I picked up that Giovanni Cream at an outlet type store on an impulse purchase. I don't even think I tried it, but not surprised to hear that it seems to be a brush-less cream. Real Shaving Company is definitely not a brush-less cream though.

I may recommend giving the Jack's Shaving Soap a try, its made in Gatineau. I used it a few times and it worked very well but I just have too many other soaps so never really gave it a fair chance.

http://www.fendrihan.com/jacks-soap-shaving-soap-p-3830.html

Luc

Staff member
Yeah, I picked up that Giovanni Cream at an outlet type store on an impulse purchase. I don't even think I tried it, but not surprised to hear that it seems to be a brush-less cream. Real Shaving Company is definitely not a brush-less cream though.

I may recommend giving the Jack's Shaving Soap a try, its made in Gatineau. I used it a few times and it worked very well but I just have too many other soaps so never really gave it a fair chance.

http://www.fendrihan.com/jacks-soap-shaving-soap-p-3830.html

You seem to have a lot of product that I like/try... Since I have an opening, I will try the Jack's soap. Thank you for the recommendation.

Luc

Staff member
Right, I want to apologize for not keeping this thread up to date. I got busy in the last few days and decided to mail the box back to Khory93 in order to prevent a delay.

The tracking number is 0129801000763476

I do want to thank everyone who participated in this round of the box. I hope we see round 2 soon.

I did not take anything out of the box and looking at the current weight (around 6kg), I believe that we have a solid box to travel around with.

In the last few days I also tried the wilkinson sword blue bowl (Back in the days, I only had the black bowl). I always read that the Wilkinson Sword blue stick is much better than the blue bowl (Different formulation) and it's true. While the blue bowl is not rubbish, it's not great either. I would say it's average and usable.

I also tried the Dettol shave cream. It worked well and it was lemony. I was expecting some menthol out of it and there was none. I believe that the one we could get in Australia had menthol but then it was probably made somewhere else and it was a variant of the one I used. Overall, very good.

Finally, I tried Jack's soap and yes, it was very good. The scent is interesting (There's a lot going on in there). I might get some in a few years when I lower my soap stash. At the moment, I am finishing my shave sticks reviews and then will continue with the soap (where I guesstimate a good 10 years easy of shaves).

The highlights of the box for me were
  • LaToja Shave Cream
  • Yuma DE Razor
  • Duro Turkish Aftershave
  • Jack's shave soap

Top Bottom