What's new

Went for a shavette....................

A nice straight razor isn't in my current budget, so I decided to give a shavette a try.
20190610_110438.jpg

20190610_110415.jpg

The learning curve wasn't too bad, after digesting some straight razor tutorials of course. I've been using it all week and enjoying the shave it gives. It's definitely made a good second razor.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a shavette. Glad to hear that you are trying it out. Also, don't discount a nice older straight razor. I have a Wade & Butcher that was less than $15,plus shipping, and is one of my favorite razors. It hones easily and gives a great shave.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shavettes are capable tools - enjoy the shaves!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a shavette. Glad to hear that you are trying it out. Also, don't discount a nice older straight razor. I have a Wade & Butcher that was less than $15,plus shipping, and is one of my favorite razors. It hones easily and gives a great shave.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good job!

It was definitely worth doing. It's inexpensive, but pretty well built. Of course, my wife had visions of me accidentally lopping my entire head off. Which clearly didn't happen or I'd be having a much harder time posting.................:001_302:

Congratulations!
I too just recently started learning how to use a shavette. Like you, a straight razor is out of the budget currently only because the cost of the stones for honing and or sharpening would certainly garner unwanted negative attention from my wife.
I've heard that a shave ready Gold Dollar straight can get the job done.

My view on Gold Dollars. You can also get the job done with sharpened seashells, but do really you wan to. Get a honed vintage razor from whipped dog or other know/respected gents here.

You can get a great shave from a shavette. A plethora of blades are available to you with this type as well.
It will teach you technique that will help you in using a straight should you decide to go that route.
Enjoy the new habit!

You can get a great shave from a shavette. A plethora of blades are available to you with this type as well.
It will teach you technique that will help you in using a straight should you decide to go that route.
Enjoy the new habit!

Having at least one straight eventually is the part of the plan. But the shavette's been a great addition and I can see it always being part of the arsenal, regardless of what else I get. The replaceable blade aspect is nice, since I can use the Derbys it came with or snap one of my DE Dorcos in half and use them.

Maybe I am biased, but Feather Artist Club must be the Rolls Royce of shavettes. The blades are of exceptional quality, are long lasting, and give outstanding value for money.

Congrats! I have a Feather DX Kamasori and love it! I just don't want to go down the Rabbit hole of buying all the strop, stones and everything else. I'd love to have a Koraat but can't justify it.

Top Bottom