What's new

Journey of the Smokedstanley

Thank you both for the B-Day wishes. So far we are starting the day off great.

Also, tried the 1954 Gold Tech with some Captains Choice soap and Razorock 400 brush. While not as pretty as the 1946-50 this razor gives the same great shave. I also see the wear this razor has as its history of being loved and that it still wants to be used. Ended up with a super sweet BBS shave and I just felt like I could go at any speed I wanted with no worries. Even ATG was super smooth. Probably one of the smoothest ATG I have had is with Gillette Techs. These may be mild, but I kind of like a mild shave that is also efficient. I do secretly wish there was a little more weight, but overall a great razor.
1700319518747.png

Wrapping up with the 1928 New Standard. I think I will give this one another go when I have let the face go for a bit and see how it does on more of a beard rather than on the daily shave. May also want to experiment with some different blades. Overall a nice shave but found I had to really watch the angle and speed. Not a forgiving razor if you are half-arsing it. Todays shave included some Almond Col. Conk and a Parker HHPB brush. This brush has an abundant knot and holds a ton of lather, but oddly it feels a bit more scritchy than most of my boar brushes. I generally soak my brushes in hot tap water while I shower and then shake some of the excess before creating a lather.

1700674636144.png

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day.

Today I decided to go with a (non-vintage) new razor, a Merkur 38c. This was my first shave with this razor and as with most of my newer razors it came second hand, in a lot with vintage stuff. I really like the heft of this razor even though most of the weight feels like it was in the handle. The shave was very mild and the angle felt natural. WTG was so smooth that I skipped the XAG and went straight to ATG and only found a couple spots where I said to myself that I shouldn't have skipped it.

For accessories I used my Triumph & Disaster Badger brush. This has been my primary brush since I started with SR's in 2019 up until mid summer of this year when I started to expand my hairizons with other brushes. Todays soap was Col Conk Lime, new formula. I just hold the puck to load since they are so small. I have to say these pucks make lather super fast and effortless. Maybe 15 seconds of loading and then into my bowl to work it up. I do not pre-wet the puck, just shake out the brush and start loading. Overall a wonderful shave.
1700746635626.png

With Christmas fast approaching we had to move the shave den / book case to make room for the tree, and it is now in the front hall. I have a question is anyone knows. Is the ink on the old spice mugs UV resistant. I know some are just old and had poorer inks, but the cabinet will now get direct sunlight through the front door and I do not want to hasten the fading process if sunlight is a bad thing.
1700853215178.png

With Christmas fast approaching we had to move the shave den / book case to make room for the tree, and it is now in the front hall. I have a question is anyone knows. Is the ink on the old spice mugs UV resistant. I know some are just old and had poorer inks, but the cabinet will now get direct sunlight through the front door and I do not want to hasten the fading process if sunlight is a bad thing.
View attachment 1753470
I don't know much about the Old Spice mugs, but you have a great collection!

Added a new Rubberset 400 to the Den. The one on the far right was just delivered. The knot was stained as if some type of automotive oil dripped onto it so I put a synthetic knot in it. Current line up L-R
#3 original but looks unused
No # slightly used
#3 previous restore and clear coated, may remove coating someday, the knot is well-broken in and a pleasure to use
No # with a new Boar knot from shaveforge.com
No # with a Synthetic knot from Shaveforge.com
1700943895681.png

The pic below shows a new Razorock 400 at the far right just to compare to the original 400's
1700943978113.png

Well, had my first shave with a Fatip Gold Classic Gentle. I cannot really say much about it other than the name is spot on. Feeling very neutral about the whole shave and currently thinking about rethreading the handle to use on a tech head. Accessories were T&D Badger brush and Van Der Hagen soap.
1701038041341.png

Just received the PAA DOC Nickel and have to say I really enjoyed the first shave with this. Not BBS but I generally do not go for BBS and stick to a 2 pass shave when trying new razors skipping ATG on the trial run. Experiment on future shaves and see how it goes. The handle is on the smaller side but the razor has a decent weight/feel to it. This razor also lets the blade sing a little and I find it enjoyable listening to the blade as you make a pass. I stuck with an Astra SP, Van Der Hagen soap and T&D Badger brush.
1701377991655.png

Somebody should have warned me that the 400's were part rabbit. I started with one and this is where I am after 45 days. Just set some knots in PAA ferrules. A couple synthetic with a horse and a badger. Here's hoping the cold weather slows their growth. Looking forward to trying out the new knots once we get through Decemboar
1701472394157.png

I find it kind of nice when experimenting with using different razors and even blades to go back to a know combo that I like. It also helps me adjust my expectations and do a reset so I am not just comparing each razor to the last (hope that makes sense). Since I have banished myself from all Fatboys until I get through all the safety razors I own I seem to be drawn to the 54 Tech. It is just such a smooth, comfortable shave. Accessories were an Astra sp, Parker Boar and a sampler of Captains Choice eucalyptus. I am really liking this scent and the lather.
1701522818792.png

I like your use of vintage classics. That Goodwill is beautiful.

Remember that you can go down a rabbit hole with vintage razors, too. You have all the razors you need.
Thank you, vintage razors have been my main rabbit hole with the Old Spice mugs/cologne coming in at a close second. It is hard to resist a good deal. The goodwill is just another that I couldn't resist $6.16 shipped even if I didn't need it. Slowly trying to talk myself into a thinning, just hard to get going.

Was in a rush so I grabbed the Tech again but switched it up a little and used the Cremo that has been in the back of the cabinet. I don't use many creams, but I like this one and do not use it often as I do not think it is made anymore. I know they make the cream in a tube but do not think it is made for a brush.
1701729771450.png

Added a new Rubberset 400 to the Den. The one on the far right was just delivered. The knot was stained as if some type of automotive oil dripped onto it so I put a synthetic knot in it. Current line up L-R
#3 original but looks unused
No # slightly used
#3 previous restore and clear coated, may remove coating someday, the knot is well-broken in and a pleasure to use
No # with a new Boar knot from shaveforge.com
No # with a Synthetic knot from Shaveforge.com
View attachment 1754008
The pic below shows a new Razorock 400 at the far right just to compare to the original 400's
View attachment 1754011
Wow! Those are in really great condition...congrats.

Today it was the 1954 Super Speed Flare Tip Z3. This razor felt a hair more aggressive than the Tech and PAA DOC but still on the milder side, especially compared to the OC's that I used recently. Wonderful 2 pass shave using an Astra sp, the Van Der Hagen Boar and some Tabac soap.
1702064424784.png

Well, I did it again. I can't seem to pass on these Rubberset 400's when they are under $30 shipped. Here is a before and after. Came out ok for a quick 10 minute cleanup. I like to give them a quick shine but I am not trying to remove the character that comes from who knows how many uses. Did have to add a little glue to the back of the knot and it is no longer wiggling. While the knot is a hair darker than I would like it is oh so nice once soaked and lathered up. Just unreal.
1702333481805.png
1702333515863.png

Another round with the 1954 Super Speed Flare Tip Z3 along with the Opal Boar and some Yardley soap. The brush still has a long ways to go on the break in but overall a pleasant shave. The Super Speed does a great job in just two passes and I really like the Yarldey soap. This will definitely be a razor that stays in the rotation.
1702430065913.png

Today we tried something new. First shave with a Schick. Not sure what year, but guessing in the 1970's. The razor came in a lot and cleaned up nicely so why not add it to the collection. The shave felt similar to a Tech but the razor felt a little odd in my hand due to the plastic handle (weight) and how long the handle is. To assist was some Van Der Hagen soap and Boar brush.
1702915986178.png

Top Bottom