What's new

Well [email protected] Blackbird has ruined all other razors for me!...

I didn't bother to try the Ti as I already know I dislike razors under 90g weight.

The BB SS is a very good weight and the slightly brass is even better.
I use the brass more than I use the SS, simply due to the slightly increased weight.

I already use BIC blades, which are one of the sharpest blades I've ever experienced so I can't increase blade sharpness any further if I were to get the Ti.

The brass/SS + BIC turned out to be my RAD/RBAD killer combo for me.
I've been on this combo for 18 months with no urge to try others. In fact, I've stocked up on a lifetimes worth of BIC blades.
Good to hear your setup is still working great. I give you credit for staying with what you have and not trying the TI. Having those 2 birds give you some variety. Have a good one!

I didn't bother to try the Ti as I already know I dislike razors under 90g weight.

The BB SS is a very good weight and the slightly brass is even better.
I use the brass more than I use the SS, simply due to the slightly increased weight.

I already use BIC blades, which are one of the sharpest blades I've ever experienced so I can't increase blade sharpness any further if I were to get the Ti.

The brass/SS + BIC turned out to be my RAD/RBAD killer combo for me.
I've been on this combo for 18 months with no urge to try others. In fact, I've stocked up on a lifetimes worth of BIC blades.
I could also only use my Bird and be happy…but I do slip in a couple of other razors now and again. I have the SS and Ti and prefer the Ti by a slight margin.

I bought the SS Bird back when they first came out as my first “big boy” razor and used it exclusively for about a year until the RAD came back. Still haven’t found anything better…only very close.

I decided to try the Ti on a whim and turns out I like it better. Super smooth and maneuverable and seems less picky with blades for some odd reason.

Glad to hear you’re still enjoying your Birds. Fantastic razors.

I could also only use my Bird and be happy…but I do slip in a couple of other razors now and again. I have the SS and Ti and prefer the Ti by a slight margin.

I bought the SS Bird back when they first came out as my first “big boy” razor and used it exclusively for about a year until the RAD came back. Still haven’t found anything better…only very close.

I decided to try the Ti on a whim and turns out I like it better. Super smooth and maneuverable and seems less picky with blades for some odd reason.

Glad to hear you’re still enjoying your Birds. Fantastic razors.

I've heard a lot of praise for the Ti but I love the brass for its slight extra weight to the SS so I can deduce I won't get on with the Ti, which is half the weight of the brass.

Whatever the weight we prefer, in the end the BB is an unbeatable RAD killer 😎

"An unbeatable RAD killer" - well isn't that a ray of hope for me!
I had been wondering if there was such a thing as durable satisfaction, or only a temporary lull in radness before curiosity gets the better of you and you just have to try the next shiny new tool...

@Blobert In hopes this will help you: I succumbed to the lure of the Blackbird and got approval from LOTH last year to make this extravagant purchase (I got a stainless steel one at a discount, but it's still pretty expensive). It is a high quality tool, no question about it, and the fit and finish are top-notch. The thing to keep in mind with more expensive razors is the "law of diminishing returns." In my experience, a razor that costs four times more as another does not mean it shaves four times better. How much better does it shave? A small increment perhaps. Again, not saying it's not a good razor. It is very good. But spending that amount on a razor was an interesting lesson for me. I personally see a lot of value in finding less expensive tools that provide 98-99% of the performance of a premium-priced razor for a fraction of the price. Just my opinion of course.

I agree with Stewb but curiosity to try the some of the more expensive stuff gets the better of me. To know how close that Razo rock is to the expensive stuff you just gotta know. We all know if we have FOMO or not and have a list of stuff to try. I think the BB is a razor that shaves a bit differently and is worth trying if you got the budget. With BST and the Blackland return policy it’s low risk. If you like and are used to the SS razors with high efficiency, get the SS BB version. Good luck…. Let us know if you like it. :)

Hell, even I agree with Stew. No different than any other expensive product. Paying double never gets you double the objective performance. But it can get you double the enjoyment if using nice things makes you smile. I think that’s where much of the actual value of premium products comes from.

"An unbeatable RAD killer" - well isn't that a ray of hope for me!
I had been wondering if there was such a thing as durable satisfaction, or only a temporary lull in radness before curiosity gets the better of you and you just have to try the next shiny new tool...

Yeah, the BB is an absolute RAD killer for me.
Even if it was a $50 zamak razor with everything else the same, it'd still be my most favourite razor.

I picked up mine on their Black Friday sale and stacked the first time buyers discount on top of the sale price.

If I could get the LOTH to agree to it, I’d get the BrassBird too.
I am pretty sure you will love it!!!👍😊💈🍺
A6830567-DA03-4DC4-A4CF-793BA1706ACF.jpeg
59C61CCB-9220-40E0-9999-3432C77D9A11.jpeg

I said “IF”

As you can see, that’s a pretty big “if”.
When TLOTH gives you permission…..either/both base plates should serve you well. As you can see, the SB has a scalloped look about it which shaves wonderfully. I also enjoy the OC which is smooth and efficient as well. Let me know how you like the brassbird when it arrives.
🍺😉

When TLOTH gives you permission…..either/both base plates should serve you well. As you can see, the SB has a scalloped look about it which shaves wonderfully. I also enjoy the OC which is smooth and efficient as well. Let me know how you like the brassbird when it arrives.
🍺😉

I would probably get the OC and then possibly mix and match the parts.

🍺😉
I fail to understand why someone needs permission to buy a razor assuming you can afford it. My wife certainly doesn’t ask my permission to get facials and spa treatments and I don’t need permission to buy shaving gear. As long as you’re not going into debt for it but what you want.

I fail to understand why someone needs permission to buy a razor assuming you can afford it. My wife certainly doesn’t ask my permission to get facials and spa treatments and I don’t need permission to buy shaving gear. As long as you’re not going into debt for it but what you want.

For the most part, I do. But I have: Blackbird SS, Yates brass, Tatara Nodachi SS, Gillette Slim, Gem Clog Pruf, RazoRock Lupo 72….so another razor that costs over $150 is tough for me to justify, even to myself. Also, I wonder if the BrassBird shaves the same as the SS version? It has to be extremely similar so why get it?
I’m about to let go of my brass Yates because it shaves almost exactly like the BB only not as well.

I'm very impressed with my Blackland razors. I have been wet shaving for 13 years and have amassed quite a few razors in that time with some costing a considerable amount.

I purchased a well-used second-hand Blackbird with a long handle in the black finish earlier this year. It took a little bit of time, getting used to it but now its second nature to me. It really is a rad killer to me and I have stopped looking for anything else and never reach for anything else either.

The Blackbird and the Vector are my two go-to razors. I don't need or want anything else other than these. (well maybe a nice tidy polished SS Blackbird at some point lol)

I'm very impressed with my Blackland razors. I have been wet shaving for 13 years and have amassed quite a few razors in that time with some costing a considerable amount.

I purchased a well-used second-hand Blackbird with a long handle in the black finish earlier this year. It took a little bit of time, getting used to it but now its second nature to me. It really is a rad killer to me and I have stopped looking for anything else and never reach for anything else either.

The Blackbird and the Vector are my two go-to razors. I don't need or want anything else other than these. (well maybe a nice tidy polished SS Blackbird at some point lol)
Congratulations! Those early Blackland Blackbirds are hard to find! I’m still kicking myself for not buying one when they were readily available.

Top Bottom