What's new

Well [email protected] Blackbird has ruined all other razors for me!...

So far I have two Timeless. The Bronze with both baseplates and the .68 OC in stainless. So far I love them both. Plenty of efficiency for me but understand that others want more. My aim is never BBS since I shave daily. I'm happy with a DFS that lasts me through the workday and both of those razors deliver.
As for the Blackbird, I'm simply never gonna get one. You already know why, Lol!!
But as you might have read, I did finally order a Yates 921. As machined stainless, H plate, solid bar and 3.5" handle. It's getting built though so it should be a couple of weeks before I receive it. I guess comparatively it would be the closest thing to a Blackbird since they seem to rival on efficiency & shave similarity. But I actually like the way the Yates looks! We'll see how it goes when it arrives.
In other news, I did receive a different Blackland today. The GEM Sabre level I in the polished finish.
And also in the mail today was the stainless Karve with the SB G plate and OC B plate and 4" handle. Something totally different to try in the next few days.
Ooh….I hope you like the Yates when you get it. Love mine…..it’s just right for daily shaving.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't seem to need what I perceive to be the efficiency of the Blackbird or Vector. I know a lot of people here do and I'm glad they have found a razor efficient enough to meet their needs.

After using what I consider a mild but efficient Claymore Evolution for 5 months when I started traditional wet shaving last year in February, my subsequent purchases have been guided additions just a half step up in efficiency... that seems to be "my" sweet spot. Several others here who has used the Claymore Evolution found it far too mild, but for some of us, it's a very fine razor as are the ones I've added to my own Top Razor rotation. Again, this is totally subjective.... Here is the mandatory: YMMV. <eg>

I don't seem to need what I perceive to be the efficiency of the Blackbird or Vector. I know a lot of people here do and I'm glad they have found a razor efficient enough to meet their needs.

After using what I consider a mild but efficient Claymore Evolution for 5 months when I started traditional wet shaving last year in February, my subsequent purchases have been guided additions just a half step up in efficiency... that seems to be "my" sweet spot. Several others here who has used the Claymore Evolution found it far too mild, but for some of us, it's a very fine razor as are the ones I've added to my own Top Razor rotation. Again, this is totally subjective.... Here is the mandatory: YMMV. <eg>
I have to say, I never wanted anything to do with aggressive razors. I have sensitive skin and my skills with razors are subpar. Never had consistent, irritation free results with DEs. And switched to shaving with a oneblade SE exclusively for years.
Then I tried the blackbird ti lite, and stopped using the oneblade. Was shocked how simple and easy it was to use. I can get weepers if I’m wreck-less with it, and even then the irritation is very mild. A 3 pass shave with a few touch ups yields easy dfs or bbs.
I recently bought the blackbird standard plate, and was blown away by how easy is to use. IMO, It’s easier and smoother to use than the timeless bronze. I love the timeless bronze, but I need to be more careful with it than when I use the blackbird ti standard. You feel the blade on your skin, but is not a biter, it’s a silky smooth razor.
For me, the timeless bronze feels more aggressive that the blackbird ti, while being less efficient.

Last edited:
Just to add a point, I feel I have found the one with the blackbird ti, but I’m curious to try these other 3 DEs at some point (no rush).
Blutt BR 1.20, Yates 921 H, and Wolfman WR2 .95

As the old saying, the “the grass is always greener…”

Maybe, those who own the blackbird ti, and have tried any of those 3 razors can comment. I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have to say, I never wanted anything to do with aggressive razors. I have sensitive skin and my skills with razors are subpar. Never had consistent, irritation free results with DEs. And switched to shaving with a oneblade SE exclusively for years.
Then I tried the blackbird ti lite, and stopped using the oneblade. Was shocked how simple and easy it was to use. I can get weepers if I’m wreck-less with it, and even then the irritation is very mild. A 3 pass shave with a few touch ups yields easy dfs or bbs.
I recently bought the blackbird standard plate, and was blown away by how easy is to use. IMO, It’s easier and smoother to use than the timeless bronze. I love the timeless bronze, but I need to be more careful with it than when I use the blackbird ti standard. You feel the blade on your skin, but is not a biter, it’s a silky smooth razor.
For me, the timeless bronze feels a more aggressive that the blackbird ti, while being less efficient.
Interesting observation. With the exception of the RazoRock SuperSlants, all the razors in my rotation shave similarly for me, both in how smooth and comfortable they are, and how close the shaves are. I had to shelve the SuperSlants until I figure out how to change my technique for DE slants. I'm in the middle of that trial now.

As Larry has said many times, I might be missing out on a great razor.... but all the razors I'm using on a regular basis are fun to use. This includes the Timeless Bronze 0.38. It's effortless for me and for that, I'm grateful. If the Blackbird is easier to use, that would be a "wow" for me. I've heard/read you have to shave on the shallow side of neutral. I shave on the steep side of neutral for all of the razors I'm using. That angle goes up or down a bit, depending on the sweet spot for the razor.

I had an Overlander. People raze about that razor here. I couldn't get a smooth, close shave with it, no matter what I tried..... but it turns out, if I'm understanding it correctly, it's better used on the shallow side of neutral too. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I didn't try that.

So it's been 12 months since I got my blackbird SS machined and I've gotten rid of all my other razors, except the Merkur Progress which comes out once or twice a month.

I also picked up a brass blackbird from the BST so I'm extremely happy!

The problem is that I'm so accustomed to the high efficiency, and the extreme comfort on my skin, of the blackbird that I'm kind of stuck without any other razor options.

I don't like big gap razors as they up the aggression without any extra efficiency!
The higher ones I've used are 1.55mm, and the karve F plate. I got LESS efficiency than the blackbird whilst sustaining much more skin discomfort.

So, which razors come close to the blackbird super efficiency AND comfort??

Or am I now destined to live out my life with only the blackbird?

So are you happy you have found Razor Utopia, or seek to go razor shopping seeking something that make you simile more? Honestly arriving at Utopia is good place to be, as you have money to spend nd on other thing like Cigars, Bourbon, or what makes you happy.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh , a lot of Blackbird users are steep-angle shavers
Thx, Thom... That is also true... my bad.

I hope not communicating any anti-Blackland bias. I watch Shane's videos. I love how innovative he and the other members of his team are. The only reason I've avoided the Blackbird and Vector so far has come from reading the posts from people who love them.... looking at the other razors they have and love... and the razors they consider too mild. I have noticed, what works for me is often too mild for them.

I do find it interesting that @AJMiami found the Timeless Bronze 0.38 on the aggressive side for him and much preferred his Blackbird, both regular and lite plates. I am acutely aware, the only way I'd know for sure would be to buy one, use it during the generous 30 day return period Blackland offers and see. I'm not quite ready to try that yet. One day, I might just be.

Last edited:
Not sure what post you are referring to, but the Bird is more efficient than the Timeless Bronze….for me. I sold my bronze and use my Ti Bird for most shaves. I haven’t found a Timeless razor that competes with the Blackbird.

For me, my top performers are:
Bkackbird
Yates H
Windsor SSRH
Lambda Ares

I prefer the Ti Bird over the rest. Just something about it that checks all the boxes for me.

I believe it was your earlier post stating that you found bronze and BB similar but lean towards to BB Ti.

In any case, I appreciate your feedback.
You've quelled my interest in the TL bronze because I use the SS and Brass birds and wouldn't want any less efficiency.

So are you happy you have found Razor Utopia, or seek to go razor shopping seeking something that make you simile more? Honestly arriving at Utopia is good place to be, as you have money to spend nd on other thing like Cigars, Bourbon, or what makes you happy.

Yes! I reach for the same razor every single day and it brings me joy every single time!

Firstly because I know I'm going to get the best shave possible, with maximum skin comfort.

Secondly, I find the blackbird to be THE sexiest razor on the market!

I used to drool over it for many years but never got it because I (incorrectly) assumed there would be blade chatter due to lack of bottom blade support.

Then I realized the more the blade bend and the lesser amount of blade show combine to reduce chatter.
The blackbird does both these things. It really bends the blade and has very little blade showing, making it ultra comfy on my skin.

Shane really nailed it with this razor.
It really is the pinnacle of safety razors for me!

Interesting observation. With the exception of the RazoRock SuperSlants, all the razors in my rotation shave similarly for me, both in how smooth and comfortable they are, and how close the shaves are. I had to shelve the SuperSlants until I figure out how to change my technique for DE slants. I'm in the middle of that trial now.

As Larry has said many times, I might be missing out on a great razor.... but all the razors I'm using on a regular basis are fun to use. This includes the Timeless Bronze 0.38. It's effortless for me and for that, I'm grateful. If the Blackbird is easier to use, that would be a "wow" for me. I've heard/read you have to shave on the shallow side of neutral. I shave on the steep side of neutral for all of the razors I'm using. That angle goes up or down a bit, depending on the sweet spot for the razor.

I had an Overlander. People raze about that razor here. I couldn't get a smooth, close shave with it, no matter what I tried..... but it turns out, if I'm understanding it correctly, it's better used on the shallow side of neutral too. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I didn't try that.
I was a steep angle shaver when I had the Ti95DC for almost 4yrs and even when I received my Ti Blackbird, but it wasn't until I saw Shane's video on shaving angles and the Blackbird that I decided to try a more shallow angle and instantly the shave improved across my entire face!! It wasn't going to an extremely shallow angle, just following the angle of the top cap was all it took which works out to about a 30 degree or so angle overall...

So it's been 12 months since I got my blackbird SS machined and I've gotten rid of all my other razors, except the Merkur Progress which comes out once or twice a month.

I also picked up a brass blackbird from the BST so I'm extremely happy!

The problem is that I'm so accustomed to the high efficiency, and the extreme comfort on my skin, of the blackbird that I'm kind of stuck without any other razor options.

I don't like big gap razors as they up the aggression without any extra efficiency!
The higher ones I've used are 1.55mm, and the karve F plate. I got LESS efficiency than the blackbird whilst sustaining much more skin discomfort.

So, which razors come close to the blackbird super efficiency AND comfort??

Or am I now destined to live out my life with only the blackbird?

CONGRATULATIONS! Looks like you found Nirvana!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hear it’s a good idea to make November 24th that one day.
I used to hate shopping on Black Friday.. in fact, we never did that.... but I'm an old curmudgeon, so I'm remembering Black Fridays at brick and mortar stores... Online shopping on Black Fridays can be a blast....

I'll keep that in mind. Now the question: Do I overcome my resistance and buy both a Vector and a Blackbird or just one of them? <eg>

I used to hate shopping on Black Friday.. in fact, we never did that.... but I'm an old curmudgeon, so I'm remembering Black Fridays at brick and mortar stores... Online shopping on Black Fridays can be a blast....

I'll keep that in mind. Now the question: Do I overcome my resistance and buy both a Vector and a Blackbird or just one of them? <eg>
I’m opinionated, but I do think the blackbird ti is an easy try and Shane encourage customers to not be return shy.

I have both and enjoy using the Bird a little more than the Vector. I like the DE platform more. That being said, the Vector is a great shaving razor. Really depends on what format you like as they both shave very well.

I am a long time DE shaver and have bought and sold more razors than I can count both modern and vintage. Used DE, Injector, Artist Club, Slants, Adjustables, Stainless, Brass. Aluminum well you get the idea. I like to categorize razors on two factors. One being efficiency and the other is comfort. For example I rate the R41 as very efficient but uncomfortable and the Prewar Tech as comfortable but inefficient. That being said I get more irritation with the Tech due to the extra work required to get smooth. My Blackbird Brass SB used daily gives me the best combination of efficiency and comfort I have yet to experience. Yes I need to take it slow and easy and watch the angle but the results are totally worth it.

Just to add a point, I feel I have found the one with the blackbird ti, but I’m curious to try these other 3 DEs at some point (no rush).
Blutt BR 1.20, Yates 921 H, and Wolfman WR2 .95

As the old saying, the “the grass is always greener…”

Maybe, those who own the blackbird ti, and have tried any of those 3 razors can comment. I would appreciate it.
So I'll comment on TiBird vs Yates - I have a TiBird OC, as well as a Brassbird SB. Also a Yates 921 in M, H and EH, as well as a hybrid EH (SB+OC). I also have a Ti Yates 921EH.

I like Ti razors because its easier to put a very light touch on the shave. That said, I just spent a couple weeks traveling through Europe and the Med with the Brassbird and it was quite awesome.

For me, I prefer the Yates EH slightly over the 'birds. The Birds are great and efficient razors, but to me, the edge goes to the 921EH. Note I'm suggesting the EH over the H plates. The EH is more efficient without sacrificing comfort. And that's what give the Yates the choice over the birds - slightly more efficient and yet more comfortable to shave.

I prefer Gillette Platinum blades, and Nacets are a very close second. I find that Platinums last slightly longer, but they are both very efficient blades in the above razors for my face/head.

BTW, I shave face and head daily, and most of the time its with one of the above razors, although I do sometimes use a Timeless Ti95, among numerous other top shelf razors. But the Yates is far out in front of the rest - superb efficiency and fantastic comfort. Just awesome.

I may have to keep this in mind.
Although at 54g, I'm very wary to try it out since I don't have access to the 30 day trial period.
All the aluminium razors I've used, I absolutely hated because the razor would vibrate so much and skip over my beard.

I used karve AL with D plate and it was a rubbish experience compared to karve brass with D plate.

I don't prefer to travel with the blackbird as we move around a lot. Starting with families, at hotels etc. Higher risk of losing the razor.
But it looks like I may be left with no choice but to take the blackbird with me.

My den has gone from 100+ soaps to just 7.
I mostly use my own unscented soap now, which I've tailored to my skin requirements.

I'm also fairly settled on brushes now: Muhle STF, G5C and Simpson Commodore badger. Although I'll likely get the G5A at some point.

I was hoping to find another razor that behaves like the blackbird, but I don't think that's thing to happen.

Yeah, that shave feel in very unique to the blackbird and it's so special!
I've never experienced it with any other razor!

I have amassed 5,000 of my favorite DE razor blades (Wizamet and BIC) so I would really prefer to stick with DE razors for now.

Also, for some reason, I never enjoyed the wide coverage of AC and injector razors.

The Athena seems like a great shaver but looks wise, it's not my style unfortunately (not to say it's not beautiful though!).

Thanks for the feedback on the OC.
That was my fear and the biggest reason I didn't go for the OC.

The Athena is unfortunately not to my preference, looks wise. I do think it's beautiful but not enough for me to own one.

I highly regard the Yates H but it was a little much for daily 4 pass shaves. The efficiency was lower than the blackbird but with added skin aggression.

FOCS I didn't like from day one. It added literally nothing positive to my shaving experience.

Seems like you're in the same boat as me!
As soon as I got comfortable with the blackbird, I knew it was the end for all my other razors!

Firstly, there's a balance between efficiency and comfort (I.e. The absence of skin inflammation).

I need high efficiency as much as I need total skin comfort. Otherwise, four passes daily takes a toll on the skin.

Secondly is what I refer to as post-shave-shadow. Olive skin with black stubble is a pain! The blackbird and progress are the razors that achieve the lightest post shave shadow of any razors I've used...with minimal aggression on the skin.

I generally don't get weepers with any razor but my issue is more the toll of four passes daily. My skin can start to feel a little raw with big gap razors. Whereas the blackbird has never, ever caused me to feel this in the entire 12 months of use!
@nav did you ever try the TI Bb?

I am one of the minority where the SS BB works better overall for me and especially the first pass as I shave every 2 days with thick/course stubble. TI still worked well. I don’t prefer lightweight razors for the same reasons you mentioned. The TI is noticeably lighter but not super light. I had to use a sharper blade for the Ti and use more pressure to avoid skipping. I just prefer SS and let the razor do the work. YMMV.

Reactions: nav
@nav did you ever try the TI Bb?

I am one of the minority where the SS BB works better overall for me and especially the first pass as I shave every 2 days with thick/course stubble. TI still worked well. I don’t prefer lightweight razors for the same reasons you mentioned. The TI is noticeably lighter but not super light. I had to use a sharper blade for the Ti and use more pressure to avoid skipping. I just prefer SS and let the razor do the work. YMMV.

I didn't bother to try the Ti as I already know I dislike razors under 90g weight.

The BB SS is a very good weight and the slightly brass is even better.
I use the brass more than I use the SS, simply due to the slightly increased weight.

I already use BIC blades, which are one of the sharpest blades I've ever experienced so I can't increase blade sharpness any further if I were to get the Ti.

The brass/SS + BIC turned out to be my RAD/RBAD killer combo for me.
I've been on this combo for 18 months with no urge to try others. In fact, I've stocked up on a lifetimes worth of BIC blades.

Top Bottom