What's new

Waterproofing Wood Handles, advice please.

I am in the process of making my first brush handle. The wood is Bolivian Rosewood, I am down to the final sanding stage, but I am unsure as to what to use to protect the wood from water damage. I do not want to paint it or stain it, the wood has wonderful grain and color that I would like to preserve. I do not have a lathe, and I have many hours of sanding and shaping invested in this thing, I do not wish to see it swell and crack. Any advice from some of you experienced wood workers would be appreciated. Thanks.

clear marine varnish is one thought

That's 7-10 coats. Beautiful but a lot of work.

Teak oil would be nice, but requires some maintenance occasionally. It would give you a very nice finish.

Modern acrylic sealers are easiest, but feel plasticy in my opinion.

That's 7-10 coats. Beautiful but a lot of work.

Teak oil would be nice, but requires some maintenance occasionally. It would give you a very nice finish.

Modern acrylic sealers are easiest, but feel plasticy in my opinion.

acrylic is easier,but since the handle is so small,you could give it a coat (I would dip it and hang it) every other day for a couple of weeks.That would keep it sealed and gorgeous for a long time..and you are right,acrylic is too plastic looking...

Cut the spar varnish in half with turpentine, this will allow it to penetrate into the wood easier, you can also add a small amount to "Japan Dryer" to the mix to speed up the drying time.
Bolivian Rosewood is a dense water resistant wood, unfortunately I had to quit working with it as it gave me a rash.

Cut the spar varnish in half with turpentine, this will allow it to penetrate into the wood easier, you can also add a small amount to "Japan Dryer" to the mix to speed up the drying time.
Bolivian Rosewood is a dense water resistant wood, unfortunately I had to quit working with it as it gave me a rash.

I remember reading that post, I may have the same problem myself. My face around my nose and cheeks kept breaking out in a rash off and on while I was working with it. When I read your post, I put it down for a week. The rash went away and hasn't come back, yet. I still have to do some fine grit sanding before finishing. Have you had any problems with Guayacan wood? That's the other block of wood I have for my next project. Also, I am unfamiliar with spar varnish. Is that a brand or a type of varnish?
Thanks to all for the advice, the only wood I've really worked with is briar for pipes, so this is a learning experience for me.

I remember reading that post, I may have the same problem myself. My face around my nose and cheeks kept breaking out in a rash off and on while I was working with it. When I read your post, I put it down for a week. The rash went away and hasn't come back, yet. I still have to do some fine grit sanding before finishing. Have you had any problems with Guayacan wood? That's the other block of wood I have for my next project. Also, I am unfamiliar with spar varnish. Is that a brand or a type of varnish?
Thanks to all for the advice, the only wood I've really worked with is briar for pipes, so this is a learning experience for me.

Spar varnish is exterior boat varnish, I use McClusky's Man of War Spar Varnish.
As for wood allergies, here's a site with a wood data base, many wood are sensitizers once your affected by a particular wood it will effect worse in the future.
With the Bolivian Rosewood the kiln dried pen blanks didn't affect me but the larger air dried blanks gave me a rash like poison oak.
It's caused by the oils in the sawdust, you can use a barrier cream and nitrile gloves, I wear a full face shield now and wash up right away with soap and cold water, hot water will open the pores.
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Spar varnish is exterior boat varnish, I use McClusky's Man of War Spar Varnish.
As for wood allergies, here's a site with a wood data base, many wood are sensitizers once your affected by a particular wood it will effect worse in the future.
With the Bolivian Rosewood the kiln dried pen blanks didn't affect me but the larger air dried blanks gave me a rash like poison oak.
It's caused by the oils in the sawdust, you can use a barrier cream and nitrile gloves, I wear a full face shield now and wash up right away with soap and cold water, hot water will open the pores.
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/
Thank you very much!

Top Bottom