What's new

Restored a beech Mylord brush

I got this brush with some other stuff and i thought it looked pretty so i was hoping to be able to use it.
The spalted maple or something was obviously fake but i still quite liked it.
I could not find anything about the brand "Mylord" has anyone here heard of it ?
The seller listed it as new but i doubt that.
SrYqEO5.jpg
The knot looked fine to me so i followed a method i found on this forum somewere: soak in dawn for 4 hours and then let it sit with shaving soap for 8.

Apparently you're only supposed to soak the hairs and not the whole brush because the wood swelled and this happened 😭
i2FMV5I.jpg

At this point i was ready to bin it but then i thought it would be a good test subject to learn some stuff on in case i find a brush i really want to keep and needs work done.
About 2/3 of the weirdly thick paint/bondo or whatever came off easily but i had to chip carve the rest off with a knife.
The wood was machined pretty roughly with tool/saw marks all over and then the whole thing was covered in the beige stuff almost 1mm thick in places.
Does anyone know how this brush was made? were/are they all made like that ?
Like do they just paint very thick paint, was it molded, or was it even dipped ?
It was pretty hard but brittle stuff, not like plastic and it turned powdery when cut/scraped with a knife like cutting a piece of chalk.

And then lots and lots of sanding and it ended up like this.
e2KjuAV.jpg

And then a bit of oil and beeswax and it looks like this.
I am quite happy with the end result and the knot turned out to be in a lot better shape than what it looked like when i got it :D
yhlT9ot.jpg

Top Bottom