What's new

Want a Handgun for Protection Plus...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It going J frame, I’d suggest one that is .38 +P compatible. Normally .38 for most target shooting, +P for occasional practice and carry.

Speer Makes a 135 gr. +P .38 specifically designed for short barrels. I like carrying them in my Ruger SP101 named "Bubba."

Bubba only barks 5 times, But let there be no mistake. Bubba bites... Bubba bites hard. :)

thumbnail (7).jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
You can POSSIBLY get a great used Ruger GP100 .357 with a 4" barrel at a good price. Not a GREAT price, but a good one. The problem is finding ammo.

I have NEVER regretted that gun.

The GP100 is a Generational pistol. You can probably pass that sturdy thing down 100 generations or more. :)

"The Ruger GP100 just may be the most solid .38/.357 handgun on the market today."

Absolutely true. The gun was engineered from the ground up to shoot a constant diet of 38+P and .357 Magnum rounds, respectively. Border Patrol, Uniformed Customs Inspectors, BOP Guards and some classes of USMS got them thru the 90s.

I do not need another handgun. I certainly do not need another revolver. Having said that, if I was going to buy a revolver, it would absolutely be a GP100.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
"The Ruger GP100 just may be the most solid .38/.357 handgun on the market today."

Absolutely true. The gun was engineered from the ground up to shoot a constant diet of 38+P and .357 Magnum rounds, respectively. Border Patrol, Uniformed Customs Inspectors, BOP Guards and some classes of USMS got them thru the 90s.

I do not need another handgun. I certainly do not need another revolver. Having said that, if I was going to buy a revolver, it would absolutely be a GP100.
I know next to nothing about "ergonomics" but that gun just fits my hand like a glove, straight outta the box it just "had" me. I've got lots of other revolvers, and hope to get more (investment, ya know?) but I doubt I'll ever have a gun that makes me look as good as that one does hittin' tin cans. Recoil with as hot a load as I've ever put through it only a little bit more than a .22... It's the Glock of the revolver world. And about as pretty! lol !!!

I had it's little brother, an SP101 for a while. I think I had 300ish in it in 1993. Sold it for 400 ish to a shooting mentor who decided he wanted to add a 3rd to his collection. Declined to exercise ROFR for the same 400ish when he retired to AZ and was downsizing a 100+ gun collection down to 50 ish.

Not buying it back was a mistake. I could make shots with it that I could never make with a J frame.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had it's little brother, an SP101 for a while. I think I had 300ish in it in 1993. Sold it for 400 ish to a shooting mentor who decided he wanted to add a 3rd to his collection. Declined to exercise ROFR for the same 400ish when he retired to AZ and was downsizing a 100+ gun collection down to 50 ish.

Not buying it back was a mistake. I could make shots with it that I could never make with a J frame.
My buddy brought up his snubby SP101 this past weekend.

I REALLY want one of those, but I think his barrel is just a little longer than my LCR's.... If I could get one about 3.5 inches I think I'd be set for life.

But I'm 99.9999% certain that length would require the assistance of a gunsmith, and that would mean I'd probably have $1500 into it, or a LOT more, and a divorce is just not something I ever want!

We are a lot alike. While I purchase, sell and trade firearms too often to be considered “budget minded,” I do like to have the frame of thought during my firearms purchases, similar to yours when checking them off my list.

So while they might not be an inexpensive firearm or budget friendly firearm, my thought process is that ‘one .357’ and the ‘one 1911’ or that ‘one AR’ that beats all other AR’s.

While I don’t think that mental process is working, because I own more than one AR and more than one 1911 and more than a few Glocks.

I’m strangely at peace that mental process is broken. ;)
I want the M4 I was issued while deployed, though obviously not an option. For an AR, that will wait until I am out of NY. The problem with only having one AR is that you have to then pick which caliber you want.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Have we gotten the gun picked out and moved on to picking the ammo yet? Some very exciting home defense rounds. I quite like the idea of the one that will not pass through sheet rock. No worry of what is in the next room.

It may be loaded with Granny Clampets bacon fat and salt load haha

Also, in your research, visit Hickok45 on YouTube. He's a retired teacher who is a wealth of knowledge on firearms.
Hickok45, great youtube channel. Is he retired firearms/defense teacher or retired educational teacher (aka school teacher)?

I live next to Armstrong County, PA which is known as the most armed county in the US, thus I work with a lot of folk from Armstrong County. Purchased my first firearm last year upon 7 or 8 folks at work saying the little inexpensive Taurus G2C is a great first firearm. Except the G3C was out so I bought that.

Problem is, I'd like to go to formal training. I don't even know how to go to a gun range, like how do I carry it in, what do I take, etc. I don't need to follow all the boutique folks on the internet with their fancy gear and such. But now firearms training costs $500-1000 due to the ammo I would use. Once I use up the rounds I do have in training and maybe 1 other day on the range, the firearm is useless as I can throw a baseball far better and more accurate than I can throw a pistol.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Hickok45, great youtube channel. Is he retired firearms/defense teacher or retired educational teacher (aka school teacher)?

I live next to Armstrong County, PA which is known as the most armed county in the US, thus I work with a lot of folk from Armstrong County. Purchased my first firearm last year upon 7 or 8 folks at work saying the little inexpensive Taurus G2C is a great first firearm. Except the G3C was out so I bought that.

Problem is, I'd like to go to formal training. I don't even know how to go to a gun range, like how do I carry it in, what do I take, etc. I don't need to follow all the boutique folks on the internet with their fancy gear and such. But now firearms training costs $500-1000 due to the ammo I would use. Once I use up the rounds I do have in training and maybe 1 other day on the range, the firearm is useless as I can throw a baseball far better and more accurate than I can throw a pistol.

Find a range nearby. More than likely they’ll offer a basic/beginner firearms class that will go over the basics. If you call the range they should be able to tell you what to bring to the class. Ear/eye protection will be required no matter where you go. Google “gun range” in your city or county and go to the web sites. They should list classes offered etc. if you go and the employees, instructors, and other shooters are a-hole know-it-all’s find another range. There are plenty of places that are will bend over backwards to help out a new shooter.

Find a range nearby. More than likely they’ll offer a basic/beginner firearms class that will go over the basics. If you call the range they should be able to tell you what to bring to the class. Ear/eye protection will be required no matter where you go. Google “gun range” in your city or county and go to the web sites. They should list classes offered etc. if you go and the employees, instructors, and other shooters are a-hole know-it-all’s find another range. There are plenty of places that are will bend over backwards to help out a new shooter.
Nah, problem is the amount of rounds they tell you to expect to shoot. I don't have that kind of money, thus I can't deplete what few rounds I have and replace. Thus it would have been better to just invest in baseballs because I can throw a baseball better than throwing an empty firearm. It wasn't too bad when I bought everything, but a month later I can't replace the rounds I'll use.

More than protection, the main reason for getting a firearm is to get into shooting possibly with my daughter to entice her to stay home more often and go shooting with me rather than going to her loser boyfriend's. Fortunately she ditched the boyfriend finally. We still can't go shooting.

Top Bottom