What's new

Want a Handgun for Protection Plus...

Looking for suggestions. I would like to purchase a handgun for protection. That is the first priority. Additionally, I would use it for occasional target practice and, in the future, conceal carry. I want something that is reliable and powerful enough to stop someone, but not a huge piece of iron. I don't see myself with several handguns.

Background: I am not a gun fanatic, but have owned a S&W Model 19, plus shot guns over the years. That S&W 19 was sweet, but I got rid of it because I had twin son toddlers and was worried that they would get into it.

Thanks!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Any 9mm from one of the major manufactures will fill your need. I’m personally partial to the Smiths sn Wesson M&P line but anything from Ruger, Sig, Springfield Armory, or even Glock will function fine. If there’s a range around you that rents pistols go and try a few out to see which one fits your hand best. Your biggest issue during these times is going to be getting ammo to try out the pistols.

The rabbit hole is deep on this topic. So many options…it can weary the brain. But, many years of practical experience suggest these are a good place to begin your search:
1. Smith & Wesson 442-.38 Special
FE78920F-B05E-4233-81B6-424F69061E73.jpeg

2. Smith & Wesson Shield-40 S&W
7D12AB0B-1A8D-4BA9-A3FA-F681894C34D4.jpeg

3. Sig Sauer P365-9mm
6D3C75AD-44D6-46AD-8E8B-8E400C0A2D9A.jpeg

4. Glock 43X-9mm
93092AD1-3AC8-4FDC-AD90-D7B4F3EA6C1C.jpeg

5. Beretta Nano-9mm
710E25B6-3559-4E0D-8940-888DD9F0A762.jpeg

All these are bona fide choices for EDC carry/defensive use. There are scores of other choices.
My #1 choice? The S&W 442.

Based on your stated goals:
Single Stack Glock i.e G43X or G 48
Single Stack Sig i.e 365 or 365XL
Single Stack Smith & Wesson Shield and Shield Plus

These 3 brands along with Beretta and HK represent 5 brands that you could reliably bet your life on relative to many other brands that are often cheaper and may presently be more available in the stores.

I am not a fan of a small J frame 5 shot revolver as a primary weapon because of
1. low capacity
2. difficult to reload quickly under stress
3. difficult to buy with high visibility sights relative to many of the semiautomatic pistols already mentioned
4. difficult to shoot accurately at speed beyond 3-5 yrds relative to many of the semi automatics listed above for many shooters
5. difficult to configure with a light relative to the pistols mentioned above.
6. takes up nearly as much space and is not that much more concealable than weapons with 2x the capacity if worn on the beltline in a purpose designed holster/belt combination

My critique is tempered by the fact that a 442/642 5 shot j frame revolver is light, easy to carry and even fire multiple rounds from a pocket. You can literally be just standing around with your hand in a pocket on the gun with no one the wiser. That can make for an exceptionally fast first shot.

Please know that ammo availability/pricing is a significant challenge with firearms pricing/availability nearly as bad in many areas.

BTW-What is your budget?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I suggest starting by taking a class or three on the subject of self defense before considering what to buy. Try and fondle as many different makes, models and calibers as possible to find out what works best for you. Remember there is no such thing as the handgun or caliber that is powerful enough to stop a man and real life statistics show that all handgun calibers are about equally effective.

The important point is that just as with real estate what counts is location, Location, LOCATION. The best choice is what allows you to place multiple rapid shots on target when under extreme stress.

@Vaporstang- First decide what you really want, a small carry defense gun, a single house gun that's useable at the range (medium size), or mostly a range gun that would double for home defense (full size). The options will fall from your basic choice. Nowadays, availability is a big issue, too. Since you had a S&W 19, but didn't indicate barrel length, do you want to get something you're already familiar with?

As to carry guns, for ~15 years I carried an old S&W .38 snub nose revolver, and needed it only once to shoot a rattlesnake that I couldn't get to move out from under my shaded cot after 20 minutes of prodding with a long stick in the 100+ degree desert heat. I then switched to 9mm for a little more capacity about 12 years ago. The Sig 365 is a great little carry gun, as is the single stack little Glock. I have the Sig, and shot both, and either one is a fine choice. But, none of these small guns for me are fun at the range. I keep up my practice with them, a lot less lately because of the ammo shortage and the looming threat of more gun controls which may go after ammo. I prefer something with a longer barrel and a little more weight if you're going to shoot regularly and just want one gun. For example, my reach for 9 mm, is a Magnum Research /Walther P99 clone. I must have 3,000+ rounds through it. I replaced the springs a few years ago. You wouldn't go wrong with a Glock 19, as a single gun, if it fits you. For some people Glocks are immediately intuitive, not for me. I've never shot the Glock double stacks well. I gave my Glock 26 to a friend, it was just not a fit for me. The little Glock 43 was thinner, fit my hand better, and was much easier to shoot. The thing with guns as with razors, is that YMMV.

There's also the Ruger EC9s that's a good budget option to consider if you want a pocket 9 mm; it has a 7 shot magazine. I bought my Ruger on sale in fall/winter 2019, for $199, a few months before the current nonsense and find the Ruger is sufficiently accurate for a defense gun, won't break the bank, and is comfy for 50-70 rounds at the range. Accuracy is not quite as good as the little Sig for me, but within a couple of inches and on target at common defense ranges. I also like the thumb safety on the Ruger, especially if you're not a long time gun person. Since I learned semi-auto handguns with a 1911, the thumb safety is okay with me.

Good luck with your search.

Plenty of good recommendations so far and I’ll second the advice to get some CC defensive specific training first if possible, training that includes drawing from the holster at a minimum. Best if you can get instruction and practice in shooting while moving and the use of cover/concealment and tactics. There are places that provide this sort of training that can also supply various models/calibers of firearms for you to try/use during the course, which would be a tremendous help in making a choice in which firearm to purchase.

Once you have your handgun, consider trying an intro course to either USPSA or IDPA competition style shooting. Even if the idea of participating in competitions doesn’t appeal to you, these courses tend to be pretty low cost and will give you the opportunity to get some good additional training and practice with your new weapon working on accuracy while drawing from the holster, shooting while moving, and shooting from cover/concealment. It may also give you some (very mild) sense of what the feeling of shooting under pressure is like, and how that can affect your accuracy, which is always important to factor into the equation of potential or actual use of a firearm in the real world. Too many people underestimate the effect situational stress will have on their shooting.

As mentioned above shot placement is king. Well that and the type of bullet you choose. With that in mind, I’d suggest avoiding calibers larger or rounds hotter than standard 9mm. .40 cal for example is significantly snappier than 9mm and tends to cause a lot more muzzle flip, requiring you to take more time and effort to get back on target. Ammo is probably going to be more expensive and harder to find as well for most calibers larger than 9mm, at least that used to be the case, but I haven’t even bothered looking for ammo since the latest shortages hit, so I have no idea what the current practical reality is with regards to pricing and availability of specific calibers.

Anyway, my experience has been that the time and money spent on good, realistic training, preferably from those with significant experience in the fields of combat and competition shooting sports, is at least as important as the firearm you choose. Best if you can get some training prior to purchasing a CCW, then more training after you have your entire carry set-up, so that you can get plenty of practice drawing, shooting and moving, and firing from cover with your new rig. Plan to spend much more on training, practice, and ammo than you will on the firearm, holster and accessories.

My wife recently showed some interest in shooting and she ended up with a S&W Sheild EZ .308. I tried the 9mm version and both are very nice. I bought a Glock 43X and it is now my favorite. All are not overly heavy but the recoil is OK. And all are nice for concealment purposes.

However, I would take some lessons (as my wife did) and try out some of the pistols at the range and see which ones you are comfortable with.

Firearms are a personal preference item, much like shaving. Most any firearm is good for protection and plinking, though I would recommend at least a 9mm. If you are in a state that lets you rent firearms at a range, I recommend trying out a few models in the caliber or calibers that interest you the most, including different size firearms in the same caliber to see what fits well in your hands.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Another significant consideration is where/how you plan to carry: Anywhere/ anytime, or only on foot? If you only carry primarily while walking/hiking you holster type and location options are pretty wide open. If however you carry while driving, then certain carry locations and rigs may be impractical. If you do plan to carry while driving, do you live somewhere fairly benign, or are car jackings “a thing” where you live? If so, I dare say the dreaded appendix carry may be the best option, unless you plan to be wearing a jacket to conceal a shoulder rig. However beware that appendix carry may cause others to offer opinions on your choice, and you do really need to train and be competent with that option as accidental distcharges from that carry can be quite unforgiving. But then, so can criminals.

Also, do you live somewhere that’s quite hot for at least part of the year where printing is going to be a significant issue? If so holster location and type as well as clothing choices and, obviously firearm dimensions, will need to be considered. May be that you need different carry rigs for different seasons, depending on your location.

Anyway, just some more food for thought. The clearer you can get in your mind about your needs, the more you can narrow down the dizzying array of options and the better a knowledgeable instructor, friend, or salesperson will be to advice you.

Just remember that, like buying DE razors, if you buy the perfect forever carry gun on your first purchase, you will be the first person in history to do do. Go to the range and shoot lots of different guns and don't let anyone tell you what you should buy. For example, I carry a Bulgarian Makarov after carrying several other options. You won't find anyone making that suggestion anywhere in the free world. But I shoot it lights out and prefer metal instead of plastic. I'm not saying you should buy one. I'm saying try everything you can get your hands on and ask lots of questions. Then, be happy with your choice and CARRY IT because you love those twin sons so much.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
S&W M&P .40 meets all of your needs.

Both, your platform & the .40 round are severely underrated ... while I do like & sometimes carry a 9mm, these days many folks are either unable or unwilling to look beyond the front sights of their MOS-ready, hi-cap polymer-framed, striker-fired wonder nines.

A recent experience with a dueling pistol target tree & an HK USP .40 Tactical; a Springer .45 ACP 1911 & a 9mm HK P30L once again validated my preference for heavier hitting .40 S&W & .45 ACP chamberings.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Just remember that, like buying DE razors, if you buy the perfect forever carry gun on your first purchase, you will be the first person in history to do do. Go to the range and shoot lots of different guns and don't let anyone tell you what you should buy. For example, I carry a Bulgarian Makarov after carrying several other options. You won't find anyone making that suggestion anywhere in the free world. But I shoot it lights out and prefer metal instead of plastic. I'm not saying you should buy one. I'm saying try everything you can get your hands on and ask lots of questions. Then, be happy with your choice and CARRY IT because you love those twin sons so much.
Not sure I qualify as being in the Free World but my Mak does get carried fairly often.
Mak-01small.jpg

Nice choice and super reliable.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Looking for suggestions. I would like to purchase a handgun for protection. That is the first priority. Additionally, I would use it for occasional target practice and, in the future, conceal carry. I want something that is reliable and powerful enough to stop someone, but not a huge piece of iron. I don't see myself with several handguns.

Background: I am not a gun fanatic, but have owned a S&W Model 19, plus shot guns over the years. That S&W 19 was sweet, but I got rid of it because I had twin son toddlers and was worried that they would get into it.

Thanks!

Welcome to the shooting sports and firearms forum. I see you sold the S&W 19. Do you still own the shotguns?

Choosing a handgun can be a daunting task these days. Covid and political upheaval has made the selection of available firearms and ammunition not as available as they used to be in the past.

This along with the future financial concerns of our country, one has to take the time and patience to carefully research the choice they make, getting it right the first time. Especially, since you already said you probably don’t want several handguns.

The lack of availability makes it harder.

In saying this, there never will be a lack of good advice on guns, gear and training and you have come to the right place. You won’t find another place where there is a better bunch of friendly and knowledgeable firearms owners and enthusiasts then right here.

Every post I have read so far, has been jam packed with excellent advice. If you are fairly new to firearms or inexperienced, I could see where all this great advice could be absolutely overwhelming. :)

So my only advice I would add to all the great advice that has already been given is a very simple way about how to assimilate all the great advice you have already been given.

Five things.

1st. Write down and make a list of all the good points and guns you felt like you got an interest about, from reading all the excellent posts we just read from your thread. Maybe a list of the top 10 handguns mentioned in this thread.

2nd. Go to YouTube and type in those top 10 handguns and all the good points mentioned here. There are many different people from enthusiasts to actual experts on YouTube. Reading here and the visual of the videos there, will really help you to confirm everything you read here and will help in the process of breaking down the overwhelming feeling of all the information you have received.

Now you can either reduce or enlarge that top 10 list of pistols you have read and watched videos about, from a better informed mental process.

3rd. Now that you have this list of firearms you are interested in, take that list to as many different gun stores that are available for you to visit. Make the goal of finding all of the top 10 handguns on your list. Ask the clerk behind the counter if you can hold them.

Point the empty handgun at the floor or wall and look down the sights of the gun and then ask yourself? How does it feel? How does it point? Ask the clerk if you can eject the magazine? Ask if you can work the slide? Pull the trigger?

Do this with all 10 handguns. If you can. If one store won’t let you, find another store that will.

When you are done doing this research on your list. Go home. Sit down. Think about what you seen, felt and learned. Now make another list from what you learned.

Does your new list get smaller? Does it get bigger because you found another pistol you liked? Or does your top 10 list stay the same because you liked them all?

No more advice to be had now that you have gotten to this point. Your list and selections will and have become / became very personal to you now and you will become very comfortable making your now informed decision on your own from what you are learning in this process.

4th. Now take this 3rd and final list to a local gun range that provides rentals. No reason to rent all ten handguns from your list. You will already know by now, which top 3 pistols from your list felt the best to you, handled the best to you, manipulated the best in your hands to you, and the most important, looked the best to you. ;)

Rent those top 3 in your list. Shoot them at the range. One of those three, you are going to become impressed with how they shoot and how they feel and how they managed the recoil and how accurate it was in your hands.

This one out of the three, will make you say to yourself, “damn, that felt really good! I shot well with that!” :)

5th. That is your handgun. Go back to the store, find it and buy it. :)

Take it home, read it’s owners manual, watch more YouTube videos specifically about it. Come back here and post pics and show us. Let us congratulate you on it, tell us how good it felt and shot. Become a normal fixture in our awesome firearms forum. :)

When you have done this, you will become interested in training with it all by yourself. And we will have more good advice waiting... ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies! A lot to read. I need to re-read the thread. A lot of good information.

My current plan is to get something for home defense.

In the future I plan to get a Conceal Carry License for Illinois. It looks like this is only 16 hrs of training. (For some reason I thought it was 40 hrs.) I will not be carrying this until I have been through the training. After that, it will only be for select situations.

My plan is to not get more than one gun, but I do tend to go overboard sometimes.

@OkieStubble "Do you still own the shotguns?" Yes, I have a double barrel 12ga, double barrel 20ga, and a single shot .410ga.

The rabbit hole is deep on this topic. So many options…it can weary the brain. But, many years of practical experience suggest these are a good place to begin your search:
1. Smith & Wesson 442-.38 Special
View attachment 1275114
2. Smith & Wesson Shield-40 S&W
View attachment 1275115
3. Sig Sauer P365-9mm
View attachment 1275117
4. Glock 43X-9mm
View attachment 1275119
5. Beretta Nano-9mm
View attachment 1275121
All these are bona fide choices for EDC carry/defensive use. There are scores of other choices.
My #1 choice? The S&W 442.
I have a lighter verison of the 442, the 342 and while good for concealed carry neither are good for target practice. The are more "belly guns" than for any kind of target practice. The small frame and double action only are not conducive for any kind of accuracy especially anything over 5 to 7 yards for most people. I prefer pocket carry and find them a little large, it is sometimes difficult to keep the gun butt hidden.

I am currently carrying a Sig P365 XL, mostly inside the waistband in a tuckable holster so no problem with concealment. I get good combat accuracy out to about 20 yards with it. If I want pocket carry I go to a Sig P938 a single action only micro 9mm that conceals very easily and accuracy comparable to the P365.

Most of the small guns that conceal easily are not good for target shooting. You need a larger frame, grip and a longer sight radius and better sights. Bottom line is no one gun meets all of those listed criteria well.

In your search (you're totally spoiled for choice) take a long look at the CZ P01 and PCR. They are nearly the same, the rail being the major difference.

Also, in your research, visit Hickok45 on YouTube. He's a retired teacher who is a wealth of knowledge on firearms.

Top Bottom