What's new

Wallet suggestion please

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Looks like you already found one but look in to these anyway. - used to be a vendor here.

I have the 5 Card and the Card Holder. Also the Apple Watch Strap from them. Top quality products.

The 5 card is all I’ve carried for over a year now.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks to your post, I believe I will buy one. They get great reviews, are inexpensive, and my wallet is dying.
Awesome!

This is the one I got.

Just perfect in every way. I currently have 15 cards in there and there's plenty of room for more!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a wallet from Saddleback Leather and love it.
Thanks for the reminder about Saddleback, I've looked at their site in the past. Their medium bifold would be a match.
Another vote for Saddleback.

I believe the OP has made his pick elsewhere but ... in the spirit of continuing the conversation, and in anticipation of others reading this thread with the same quest in mind ...

... I'm going to offer a different opinion about Saddleback. At least in terms of wallets and other small items. Long story short ... it's not "their wheelhouse".

I am the proud owner of a number of SB pieces. I have a couple duffels, as well as a regular and slim briefcase, and notepad. They are all fantastic and serve me well and frequently. They look likely to outlive the 100-year warranty ... and no doubt cause close inspection of my will after I'm gone.

Now, that being said ...

I also have a couple of their business card carriers and ... SB's greatest strengths become their greatest weaknesses here! Full, thick leather ... durable thread for stitching ... made to survive 100 years of abuse ... yeah, you end up with a piece of kit that is super durable, but you also end up with a piece of kit that fails to deliver the "thin and flexible" wallet that offers real ease of use.

(I believe that, over the years, SB has both raised prices significantly, as well as lowered the cosmetic standards of what marks in the leather they deem "acceptable". I'm not overly bothered by cosmetic scars in the leather as long as they are not a structural liability, and "the price is the price" and anyone can check their website for the current prices and compare them to other options. These "issues" aren't part of my concern.)

IMHO, look to SB for what they do well, and look elsewhere for your other leather needs.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
+1! Great products!! I have been using mine for the last few years and am very happy with it!! :a29:

In the spirit of every few years there's a wallet discussion .. I'll say again, maybe for the last time before it outlasts me, but the Rogue wallets are absolutely great. Mine's Salmon Skin, ultra thin as you can imagine, though I carry back pocket most of the time the shape fits the shorts and also garners some curious looks. It is thinner than the wallet that Ashland gracefully took back, almost like cordura but made from something natural .. hope salmon isn't 80's.

With a couple licenses, credit/debit cards and $200 goes maybe 1/2
Rogue WalletChile_TAN_002 (2).jpg
" thick

Looks like you already found one but look in to these anyway. - used to be a vendor here.

I have the 5 Card and the Card Holder. Also the Apple Watch Strap from them. Top quality products.

The 5 card is all I’ve carried for over a year now.
Their trifold is quite nice looking!

I currently have 15 cards in there and there's plenty of room for more!
I don't understand how that much plastic can be accumulated. Think most I've ever carried was eight (driver's licence, PAL (firearm's licence), three personal credit/debit cards, one corporate credit card, corporate fleet fuel card and company ID).

You should have gotten yourself a George Costanza wallet.

George & I share a few perks but a corpulent wallet isn't one of them. Bulky wallets have always bothered me. One of the best I've owned is a mont blanc in breast pocket format. Had 8 or 9 card slots on one side and a couple of organizing pockets on the other and it never got bulky. Not sure where it disappeared to but kind of moot since I almost never wear suits or sport coats anymore.

I believe the OP has made his pick elsewhere but ... in the spirit of continuing the conversation, and in anticipation of others reading this thread with the same quest in mind ...

... I'm going to offer a different opinion about Saddleback. At least in terms of wallets and other small items. Long story short ... it's not "their wheelhouse".

I am the proud owner of a number of SB pieces. I have a couple duffels, as well as a regular and slim briefcase, and notepad. They are all fantastic and serve me well and frequently. They look likely to outlive the 100-year warranty ... and no doubt cause close inspection of my will after I'm gone.

Now, that being said ...

I also have a couple of their business card carriers and ... SB's greatest strengths become their greatest weaknesses here! Full, thick leather ... durable thread for stitching ... made to survive 100 years of abuse ... yeah, you end up with a piece of kit that is super durable, but you also end up with a piece of kit that fails to deliver the "thin and flexible" wallet that offers real ease of use.

(I believe that, over the years, SB has both raised prices significantly, as well as lowered the cosmetic standards of what marks in the leather they deem "acceptable". I'm not overly bothered by cosmetic scars in the leather as long as they are not a structural liability, and "the price is the price" and anyone can check their website for the current prices and compare them to other options. These "issues" aren't part of my concern.)

IMHO, look to SB for what they do well, and look elsewhere for your other leather needs.
Interesting commentary on Saddleback, appreciate the information. I do keep going back and looking at their Flight Bag, it is IMO very very sweet!

In the spirit of every few years there's a wallet discussion .. I'll say again, maybe for the last time before it outlasts me, but the Rogue wallets are absolutely great. Mine's Salmon Skin, ultra thin as you can imagine, though I carry back pocket most of the time the shape fits the shorts and also garners some curious looks. It is thinner than the wallet that Ashland gracefully took back, almost like cordura but made from something natural .. hope salmon isn't 80's.

With a couple licenses, credit/debit cards and $200 goes maybe 1/2View attachment 1115336" thick
Nice that you have something from your Mom you continue to use and enjoy. That said I'll be honest....I have a hard time liking the funky shape of their front pocket design.

Ettinger makes lovely if pricey wallets. I have a card case and love it.
Almost broke down and used my accumulated Fendrihan loyalty points to pick up an Ettinger sterling billfold. The black/turquoise combo is quite nice.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Saddleback, appreciate the information. I do keep going back and looking at their Flight Bag, it is IMO very very sweet!
Of course I had to take a look! It is nice.

For me the thin briefcase still gets the nod with the fold-over top flap. But both are nice!

Somewhere along the way I've lost my wallet and while one option is to replace it with what I had it's also a good time to look at options.

It was a Tumi Alpha Slimfold ID which for my needs was ideal. Goldilocks size at 9cm x 10.5cm (3.5" x 4.1"), eight card slots (five x primary, two x deep/wide (one at back of each side), one x ID) and a deepish notes pocket that could take one set of unfolded notes in the vertical or two sets of folded notes (i.e. one in each half) in the horizontal position. Durable material that survived multiple trips through the washing machine.

:thumbup1:
  • similar size
  • front pocket carry majority of the time, occasionally in suit breast pocket
  • eight card slots max
  • pass/ID window is nice but not necessary
  • real leather (preferred) or ballistic nylon (nothing pretending to be leather)
  • cow or some other mammalian leather (shark skin is so 1985)
  • matte smooth or pebbled finish
:thumbdown
  • coin purse (never understood the need for a wallet to have a space for coins, defeats the attempt to be flat/skinny

No particular loyalty to brand or country of origin.

What its replacing.....

View attachment 1114489View attachment 1114490

Suggestions?
Dude. That's why God made eBay! Seriously though, there are a few times in my life that I've lost someting that can't be replaced and all but one I've found on eBay with persistence.

Flowfold Vanguard bifold. Has been in my pocket since 2015. I bought a spare and will probably never use it. Made in the U.S. Made with recycled sailcloth fabric, lifetime warranty.

light as three sheets of 8×11 paper
so light it floats
Card Slots: 4
Currency pockets: 1
Capacity: 10-12 cards and cash
Dimensions: 3.25″ H x 4.25″ W x 0.1″ D

Top Bottom