What's new

Any info/opinions on Tom Barrington wallets? I'm looking for Stingray

BLUF: Are Tom Barrington stingray wallets worth the coin? If not, who makes a good, slim, high capacity, stingray wallet in the $80'ish price range. Details below

I'm in the market for a new, slim'ish wallet that will last a good long time. I don't beat on a wallet (nor do I understand how one really could) so even an inexpensive Fossil wallet will last me several years before the corners start to show signs of wear. Stingray is a material that has really caught my eye as of late and I wanted to poll the board and see if you guys have heard of this brand. If not, what others are recommended?

Here's the link to the one I'm considering:
http://www.tombarrington.com/Navy-B...ID-Holder-and-Red-Leather-Interior_p_173.html

If it takes you somewhere odd, I'm looking at either their slim wallet or their ID wallet in blue stingray with the bright red inside.

I'm not sold on that brand at all. It's just the one that caught my eye more than the rest. I want a slim wallet, but I realize that slim is relative when it comes to my needs. My daily MUST carry is around 10 cards, sometimes a few bills (a couple or none more often than not), and a couple of business cards I like to keep on me. Of those 10 cards, I need to have 3-4 of them handy daily and a couple of them easy to access a few times a week. Because of this, those wallets that force you to cram 8 cards into one slot and shuffle through are just not practical. I'm fine with the standard bi-fold footprint, but would like to keep the thickness down to a minimum while fully understanding how large that minimum really is. Also, that wallet is pretty much at the top my my price point. I don't really want to spend much more because it's more of a want than a need.

I am not familiar with the brand, but have always liked the look of Stingray leather. My eye was caught by the watch straps, myself...

Careful with the stingray. That could wear a hole in your pants. I looked at a pair of stingray boots once, that stuff is similar to sandpaper.

Not familiar with the brand but I've had the same stingray wallet for about 15 years. The inside lining is starting to come apart but the outside is still in pretty good shape. I'm reluctantly looking at replacing mine but it was worth whatever I paid for it all those years ago. Mine's black inside and out. Don't know if I want a blue wallet.

Legion

Staff member
Where is the leather from?

To get the pattern you see in examples, the sanded down skins to expose the calcium beads come from the center of the stingray, right behind the two breather holes.

Or, if you are speaking geographically, they are farmed in Thailand, usually.

Great. Now I "need" a stingray phone case.

I bought a stingray wallet directly from a Thai seller on ebay several years ago. It lasted and lasted. I only retired it because I went to a front pocket wallet.

Legion

Staff member
Careful with the stingray. That could wear a hole in your pants. I looked at a pair of stingray boots once, that stuff is similar to sandpaper.

I never found that. the leather they use for wallets is from small rays, so it is bumpy but not really rough.

If you like the look, but want something softer they do make stingray "look" leather. This is my current wallet which I made. I think it is actually sheep leather, but it looks just like ray. Seems to be holding up well so far.

Pants wear isn't a huge concern for me because I wear a flight suit 5 days out of the week. My wallet lives in my lower leg pocket where it's not really pressed against anything. When I'm not in my bag, I wear jeans or cargo pants when in public, shorts or pajama pants, so wear will be minimal.

As for the color, I was pretty hesitant to go so bold, but I like the colors and it spends more time in a pocket than not. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom