What's new

Old Men's Wallet/Coin Purse

I remember those types were available at every bank as a freebie with the banks name on it. Like these.
86_86-png.1051336

^ We used these in elementary school for hopscotch. We'd rub them with wax to increase the sliding ratio. The older they got, the stiffer the coin purse, the farther and smoother they'd slide. I don't recall ever using it to hold coins lol. Speaking of wax, we'd also use used smashed drink cups (covered in wax) and rum them on the slide for increased speed. Worked every time.

Here’s a Kangaroo leather coin pouch that I received a couple decades ago. I carry it now and then, but instead of for change, I’ll slip a nice pocket knife into it, or keep my ring in it when working on the car, when not being carried, stores a vintage Hamilton.

I’d bet most here my age, kept a leather bag of marbles bitd, too. This would also make a good marble bag...they sit in lead topped mason jars now.
908DDF51-6B6B-416C-81E7-CA7BF1BFA3ED.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That reminded me of a zippered leather coin purse that my parents gave to me just before we went on vacation down to the U.S. My Dad may have been using it to hold coins for cigarette vending machines. I vaguely recall that a pack of smokes was about $0.45 back then.

Anyway, I already had a plastic zippered coin purse (with a hockey team logo on it). So, the idea was to keep my Canadian money in the plastic one and put any US money that I received into the leather one.

After digging through the dresser in the spare bedroom, I found it:

proxy.php

It's 3.5" x 2.0" and made of leather (rough in/smooth out). When I looked inside, I found:

proxy.php

The coins range from 1966 to 1973. I think that our trip was in 1974, so that matches up.

Whole lot of good memories came flooding back when I was handling that little coin purse just now. I'll never stuff into a forgotten drawer ever again.
Amen. Good times. I remember I did something similar, except we we're headed to Canadia!

Legion

Staff member
Here’s a Kangaroo leather coin pouch that I received a couple decades ago. I carry it now and then, but instead of for change, I’ll slip a nice pocket knife into it, or keep my ring in it when working on the car, when not being carried, stores a vintage Hamilton.

I’d bet most here my age, kept a leather bag of marbles bitd, too. This would also make a good marble bag...they sit in lead topped mason jars now.
View attachment 1051806
That used to be the kangaroos marble bag before you got it.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I recently just started using one of those old rubber ones. Well, not old. I bought it new on Amazon. I carry enough stuff in my pocket that it got tough to find anything once loose change was added to the mix. I remembered seeing those things everywhere when I was a kid, and thought it would be handy to have.

I actually have one that looks a lot like this. I have to go to Japan every now and then for work, so I keep a bunch of useful stuff in it: Japanese coins, bills, rechargeable cards for mass transit, a couple of library cards, some other stuff. When I have a trip coming up, I check to make sure that everything is in it, and toss it into my bag.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.41.33 AM.png

My daughter worked at a grocery store when she was in highschool. Said 1 old fellar kept his change in an old chewing tabacco can. He would hold it out for her to count out his change for him. She was a bit disgusted by sifting through change with tobacco slivers stuck to it, but she would do it for him any way. Used to see them used to keep hooks, sinkers, small nuts and screws and what not in. That is the only time I heard of chew can coin purse.

I remember my grandmother having both the plastic squeeze type and the leather/cloth with the clip top clasp.

I was just doing some browsing on Saddleback Leather and they offer the spring Hong design option at $29.

Coming from Saddleback I can only trust that it’s great quality.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I remember the leather ones and the plastic ones you squeezed. I knew adults that carried the plastic ones. One in particular owned the bank in our town.

Paper currency and coins played a large role years ago and less now, though I like to roll with cash.

I carry one of these.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Anything I got at the end of the day goes in the piggy bank. I might go months without adding to it. Debit everything.

So besides the one I saw on Saddleback, apparently Allegory also makes a zippered one. I see a two pack of them on Drop right now for $30.
1580743031670.png

Also it's not a coin purse, but I see this item from Dango also on drop right now. Interesting take on coin carry IMO.
1580743091036.png

1580743114663.png

Actually, you can get coin purses similar to the one in the 6th post today. Just do a search for kiss lock leather coin purse, and you’ll find a variety of new and old options.

Top Bottom