What's new

Vintage and unusual aftershaves: Post your photos

I transferred the contents to a vintage barbers bottle.I can't help but be depressed when i run out of this wonderful stuff.Until then I get to be excited to have the pleasure of using it.

Left: Original MEM-brand English Leather 2 oz. set, includes the disappointing Lime and the mildly intriguing Wind Drift.

Right: Grail-level Aqua Velva 1.75 oz. set, including the actually decent Lime and the very Wind Drift-like Surf.

Agreed.

What do you think of Timberline?

Haven't tried it yet. FWIW, I think that Wind Drift and the Aqua Velva Surf are basically the same thing, accessible fougeres. Same with Aqua Velva Redwood and the Skin Bracer Antique Leather--both of which are variants of MEM English Leather, just with different amounts of honey.

In all the AV, EL and Skin Bracer sets I have I think the Skin Bracer Mosswood is the only really original, really above-average one I have tried.

I transferred the contents to a vintage barbers bottle.I can't help but be depressed when i run out of this wonderful stuff.Until then I get to be excited to have the pleasure of using it.

Nice bottle. Isn't the juice the same as Special Reserve?

Left: Original MEM-brand English Leather 2 oz. set, includes the disappointing Lime and the mildly intriguing Wind Drift.

Right: Grail-level Aqua Velva 1.75 oz. set, including the actually decent Lime and the very Wind Drift-like Surf.

Now that's some serious splash. I'm envious.

Haven't tried it yet. FWIW, I think that Wind Drift and the Aqua Velva Surf are basically the same thing, accessible fougeres. Same with Aqua Velva Redwood and the Skin Bracer Antique Leather--both of which are variants of MEM English Leather, just with different amounts of honey.

In all the AV, EL and Skin Bracer sets I have I think the Skin Bracer Mosswood is the only really original, really above-average one I have tried.

The thing I like about reading the fragrance forums is I am always looking up words, but this one only returned some place in France: fougeres

Forgive me, I just learned to wash.

-jim

I don't know if special reserve is the same as napoleon.I read in a review here that SR is a watered down version of napoleon.

On a side note Don Ohio gave me a heads up on a nos 4oz bottle of napoleon cologne so i picked it up.My day has been made.

pretty darned awesome, right there!

Thanks 'book.

Standing offer to anyone. Two of any of the seven bottles (I am keeping the Frost Lime) for one good mostly full bottle of Shulton Old Spice Lime or the full set of four English Leather's for a Shulton OS Lime set of at least two bottles or a bottle and some ancillary stuff (talc, etc.)

Thanks 'book.

Standing offer to anyone. Two of any of the seven bottles (I am keeping the Frost Lime) for one good mostly full bottle of Shulton Old Spice Lime or the full set of four English Leather's for a Shulton OS Lime set of at least two bottles or a bottle and some ancillary stuff (talc, etc.)

As a fortunate owner of a somewhat full bottle (I use and love it) of OS Lime that's a very reasonable offer you are making. If I find another I will give you a shout.

I don't know if special reserve is the same as napoleon.I read in a review here that SR is a watered down version of napoleon.

On a side note Don Ohio gave me a heads up on a nos 4oz bottle of napoleon cologne so i picked it up.My day has been made.

I live to serve.

Thanks 'book.

I have something you want.

Cancel that, I read too fast - I have Shulton but not their Lime, drat - have been curious about that Redwood for some time.

All of my finds come from hunting in the junk/antique stores when I travel. Most tend to be Old Spice. The green Lantern on the left is Old Spice After Shave Lotion and the yellow Lantern on the right is Old Spice Lime After Shave Lotion. The one in the middle is Old Spice Deluxe Cologne. It is a Scrimshaw Decanter with a ship design by a modern day scrimshaw artist by the name of A. Douglas Jacobs. Mr Jacobs passed away in 1986. Of course the holy grail would be if there is a real ivory tooth with this design or did Shulton just commission a design that was never produced in ivory. All were full when I found them but not so much now. I use them when the mood hits. The Lime is really nice in the summer.

I'm having to wipe away a few tears on this one...I remember giving my dad the Scrimshaw Decanter for Christmas one year. It was some time ago. Thanks for bringing back the memory.

I took this on a flyer off dbay -

AS & Cologne are each 4oz. - this is new in box.

proxy.php

has anyone heard of this or actually owned it?

it is a real leather - quite heavy, old school (these are sniffs-off-the-bottle... haven't worn it yet)....

Lamborghini No.6, from Parfums Lamborghini. Haven't found any info about it. The leather in the case and the bottle jackets is quite nice. Deluxe. I'm channeling Jay Gatsby here. (or Jay's grandson.)

Since nobody has mentioned Woodbury After Shave yet I thought I'd post that I have a partial bottle which I picked up recently at an antique store. If I get a chance I'll try to get a photo of it up.

proxy.php

it is a real leather - quite heavy, old school (these are sniffs-off-the-bottle... haven't worn it yet)....

Lamborghini No.6, from Parfums Lamborghini. Haven't found any info about it. The leather in the case and the bottle jackets is quite nice. Deluxe. I'm channeling Jay Gatsby here. (or Jay's grandson.)

That is very cool!

from a yard sale at a church down the street... Halston 101 - a hot item in the early/mid '80s, apparently. Won awards for being cat's jammies in Men's scents (limited - ????) and for the ad campaign. Couldn't have been TOO hot though, for it was discontinued after not-too-long a run, apparently.

proxy.php

nice scent - piny-evergreeny... not for summer, maybe.

It was 2nd only to Orginal Polo back in the early 1980's when I was in HS. :thumbup1: for the 101!

proxy.php

I think that is the neatest looking set I've seen to date - with a carrying case! And once they are empty, those flasks can contain something a bit more potable?

-jim

Top Bottom