What's new

Vintage and unusual aftershaves: Post your photos

Great thread. Great pics. Where's Dinder when you need him?

I can still remember as a little kid, playing with the cap from my Dad's bottle of Roman Brio.

+1 one of the firsts posts i ever saw at B&B was an aquisition he posted of a killer vintage yardley set.

after checking prices, i made it a rule for myself not to buy anything discontinued :001_rolle

the rule lasted just about as long as it took to make it.

I know, and I already have. Not bad, nothing knock-me-down spectacular either. A light, friendly musk but with a hint of spiciness to it. Definitely wearable.

well. AS-CAD being what it is - and my esoteric-AS-C-envy being what it is, I had to track down a bottle for myself. Couldn't find the Musk - but I did find this! I will report back when it arrives...

proxy.php
proxy.php

[note to Steward Nid: can't help but include vintage colognes in here... is that ok with the Administration?]

Hiya,

Here's a few more after shaves that some of you may have used back in the day. All are full bottles.

First up would be the world famous High Seas Conditioning After Shave. This is from the early 70s, and Adam West did a commercial for the stuff.

Next is some what I believe to be an older vintage Brut. I base that guess on the box design, which I don't think has been made for a while. Truthfully I can't be sure about it's age, so who knows......heh.

Last treasure is a bottle of Hai Karate 'Oriental Spice' After Shave. The bottle I have is dated 1966-69, and this fragrance was introduced in 1968. Pretty nice scent to that, I have to say.

Hope you enjoy the pics,

Martin

oh man ! I had totally forgotton high seas ! great to see this one..a real gem

well. AS-CAD being what it is - and my esoteric-AS-C-envy being what it is, I had to track down a bottle for myself. Couldn't find the Musk - but I did find this! I will report back when it arrives...

proxy.php
proxy.php

[note to Steward Nid: can't help but include vintage colognes in here... is that ok with the Administration?]

Nice nice nice! Look fwd to hearing about it.

On second whiff, just now, the Musk is more complicated than my first sampling earlier today. I now detect (don't know how else to describe this, hope it isn't silly) a dark woodiness to it, along with the spice and musk, but all in balance - no one element overwhelms the others, they're all there at the same time. Very, very nice. I'm sold and it's now in the rotation. I highly recommend snagging it if it ever comes up on the bay.

Please let us know if you find out any info on the company who made these.

My odd/old:

NOS at a local thrift store, the Spicy is quite to my liking, Tai Winds is good, heading back again to pick up the rest of their collection so I'll be set on ASAD for a good long while. For $2 per bottle, I can't go wrong for daily wear!
proxy.php

Unfortunately, this only had about 1/6th left in it, but I got it for 50c, so I can't complain:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Is this is the "Vi-John" stuff, or another clone? It doesn't last as long as the Shulton, is a bit weaker but obviously dirt cheap.
proxy.php

The back:
proxy.php

Anybody know what era this is from? I'm guessing mid-80s? Got it for $2.99 at a thrift, never been used.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just under 3/4 full, also 50c (Sorry, it did clean up nicely):
proxy.php

Just for "weird" points, but it's full and smells great:
proxy.php

proxy.php

That anvil normally has a big chrome hammer that sits on top over the cap. It is one of their more unusual bottles. Also sounds like you got some of their "good" Leather! Congrats

Its the one every one desires,
its by far the hardest to find,
its mine, I'm using in the morning,
and I don't believe I going to share,
Of course, its the Vintage Veg

Here's a recent addition to my stock:

proxy.php

It's full, and it smells great. The scent is very similar to the Dunhill 1934 Cologne, although it seems to have the vetiver deleted. They go together very well.

Not a full shot of the bottle but it is GLASS! Given its similar look to the current Clubman bottle, I'm not sure of the age, but I always prefer the glass bottle. Picked up a vintage empty glass bottle for Lilac Vegatal recently. Now I just have to see if I'm meant for the Veg or not! :lol:
proxy.php

All of my finds come from hunting in the junk/antique stores when I travel. Most tend to be Old Spice. The green Lantern on the left is Old Spice After Shave Lotion and the yellow Lantern on the right is Old Spice Lime After Shave Lotion. The one in the middle is Old Spice Deluxe Cologne. It is a Scrimshaw Decanter with a ship design by a modern day scrimshaw artist by the name of A. Douglas Jacobs. Mr Jacobs passed away in 1986. Of course the holy grail would be if there is a real ivory tooth with this design or did Shulton just commission a design that was never produced in ivory. All were full when I found them but not so much now. I use them when the mood hits. The Lime is really nice in the summer.

What a cool thread! Unfortunately I dont have any cool vints...but whatever happened to ClubmanRob...he had some wild bottles!

Top Bottom