What's new

Seasons Change-Does Your Aftershave?

With autumn now here in the northern hemisphere, and the cooler weather now here in the northeast, I pushed my menthol aftershaves to the back of the cabinet. I’m now using my Aqua Velva Musk, Clubman, Old Spice and Brut.

How about anyone else? Do you rotate your aftershaves based on the weather?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, yes. I've courtesy of B&B collected way more aftershave than that original one bottle of English Leather I used just this week when it turned nipply here ..

My method is they are roughly separated between those I associate with the warm months (menthol mostly) and the others. Twice a year I swap them out . There's several that I consider all season that stay out.

Absolutely. Yesterday, late September, it was still 90+ here in SC, so lighter, mildly mentholated scents still work just fine, but cooler weather is arriving any day, so a lot of things work. In general, in the fall, I am moving away from strong menthol, and citrusy and tropical scents, and transitioning to in-between cologne-ish scents that are too heavy for the heat of summer, as well as spicier scents. For instance, Proraso, Stirling Island Man and Glacial Lemon Chill, and Ogalalla Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns go in the cabinet, and out comes Floid Blue, RazoRock Zi' Peppino and XXX, and Stirling Arkadia. Those work great for about 3 months, until mid December and the arrival of even colder weather, when the even heavier, sweeter, leathery/woodsy scents are wearable.

I’m in the 2022 sabbatical, so purchases are off limit. However, I like the woodsy and spicy scents in the cooler weather and would definitely be adding some different aftershaves to my den after the year end to widen my variety.

I noticed I was turning my faucet from max cold to tepid the last couple days. Fall is in the air. I don't use a lot of aftershave splashes, I mostly use creams/balms and they're mostly traditional Brit type fragrances from T&H (Traflgar, 1805, Grafton). A hot weather favorite is the Proraso Green line but that will likely be used less and less as we move into fall and winter. A lot of times I use scentless Oil of Olay and Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel, often mixed. With those I might add a little from my Shulton Old Spice stash or Speick. I will occasionally mix in a little GFT Sandalwood Skin Food.

Proraso's Wood and Spice line is quite similar fragrancewise to their Red line. Both quite pleasant for flannel shirt weather.

Mentholated, aquatic and citric scents are already packed away. So now it’s Sandalwood, Barbershop, Musk, Cedar, Oakmoss, Tabac and the odd Floral - there are way too much open bottles…

ACC79AA4-F111-4A03-B521-DFDC60A89A2E.jpeg

Most definitely my aftershaves change with the seasons. In the winter I stop using the strongly mentholated ones like Figaro Bluice and the green Proraso. Llight menthol ones in the winter, like Williams Aqua Velva. Proraso red and other greasy ones are used only in the winter. Some aftershaves though I can use all year (Nivea Silver Protect, Speick).

I think I will hold off on using Clubman until the weather gets a little cooler. I find it to be a little too intense win the warmer weather, but it’s nicer when the temperatures get down around the freezing mark. I like Pinaud’s whiskey woods even if the scent lasts for 30 seconds. I knocked off a bottle of that last winter, and should have restocked earlier this year.

Not really for me. Mainly because I can get away with wearing shorts and a T-shirt year round if I’m not working. But then again there’s only 2 “seasons” where I live

Season 1: Hot, humid with rain at some point during the day with a chance of a hurricane

Season 2: Warm, mostly dry with occasional rain storms and no chance of hurricanes

So what most people would call “warm weather” scents work for me all year

I use Old Spice and Aqua Velva like the shave gods intended!

I love artisan soaps filled with fats and butters and good skin stuff, same with balms. However when it comes to splashing on aftershave there is something about the classics, and I’m not even an old foggy (I’m only turning 30 next year).

That's interesting. When I use Whiskey Woods it really hangs around. I can still slightly detect it on me when I go to bed. It's a favorite of mine. I use it on my face, neck, head and chest. :001_smile
It lasts all day for me as well. And if I happen to perspire or get a little water on it, it the scent comes back a bit stronger. Its one of my fav "cooler weather" aftershaves.

Top Bottom