What's new

Update: On Glock's Appeal against Army's Decision on Sig 320

To those of us that are high speed low drag, it's a really big deal.

Please don't tell me you are a "Yankee Marshall" fan? Bleck...
Well, Jerry Miculek shoots for S&W, not Glock. While I'd accept him as the ultimate in high speed low drag I'm not sure I'd say that for Smith. I do need to revisit them, I guess.

Then again I'm probably going back to my ancient religion. I've got a Commander sized Kimber in .38 Super on layaway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Well, Jerry Miculek shoots for S&W, not Glock. While I'd accept him as the ultimate in high speed low drag I'm not sure I'd say that for Smith. I do need to revisit them, I guess.

Then again I'm probably going back to my ancient religion. I've got a Commander sized Kimber in .38 Super on layaway.

See, this post of yours confuses me Randy. First, you say the Colt is washed up because it's old. Then you say, Jerry Miculek is the man, and yet he is old also. You're being very contradictory in our debate Randy.

OkieStubble

These have a low bore axis too. Probably has a better trigger. Was the Gold Standard at some point:
proxy.php

Can't believe you posted a pic of that old cap n ball in a kydex holster. You're liable to give one of our old... I mean, "Traditionalists" a heart attack. :)

See, this post of yours confuses me Randy. First, you say the Colt is washed up because it's old. Then you say, Jerry Miculek is the man, and yet he is old also. You're being very contradictory in our debate Randy.
He's old but he certainly has managed to stay relevant.

Can't believe you posted a pic of that old cap n ball in a kydex holster. You're liable to give one of our old... I mean, "Traditionalists" a heart attack. :)
That was what made me save the picture a couple years ago. Found it looking for something else in my photo bucket.

The something else was a pic of my mini 1851 Mountain howitzer barrel that's mounted on a sort of naval carriage but with no wheels. It slides a couple feet each shot. I guess by the hand cannon standard I'm not using it right. Couldn't find a pic.

Randy and myself have been having an intelligent debate. You should try again to attempt to join in Shawn... Cuz that post, wasn't it. :)

We both know intelligence isn't my strong suit.

My point was that by definition, a gold standard is :the best, most reliable, or most prestigious thing of its type.
Not the "first".

So if you are saying that Colt IS the gold standard of ARs because they were the first AR model, then that would be true of anything that was the first of it's kind. That hand cannon was the first "handgun" to be produced.
I will admit, and have, Colt WAS the gold standard for some time. Both in the AR style platform and 1911 platform. They have lost that title. There are more common, better made, and well known models of both platforms available today.

You also said:
And just in case you didn't know, the very unpopular HK VP70 (High Point) discontinued looooong before Gaston Glock created 'Glock Perfection'.

The first Glock polymer as we know it today, was designed in 1981. The HK VP70 was in production from 1970 until 1989. So it actually discontinued 8 years after Gaston Glock "copied the blue print".
So based on the prior argument for Colt, the VP70 has got to be the gold standard, right? It was the first after all.
Was it better than the Glock? More reliable? At that time, I couldn't tell you, but in 1981 it was definitely more "prestigious" than Glock because Glock was the new kid on the block.

Glock earned their spot on the board for some time. They were the most widely known and still a reliable poly pistol. But like Colt, they are being caught up with and surpassed in fame.

As to the original posting, and reasoning behind this whole thing, Glock didn't make the price bid. Plain and simple.

Lyman was once the Gold Standard of bullet molds. Those days are far, far behind them.

OkieStubble

So if you are saying that Colt IS the gold standard of ARs because they were the first AR model, then that would be true of anything that was the first of it's kind. That hand cannon was the first "handgun" to be produced.
I will admit, and have, Colt WAS the gold standard for some time. Both in the AR style platform and 1911 platform. They have lost that title. There are more common, better made, and well known models of both platforms available today.

Either you haven't read the entire thread, or you have missed or ignored, where we discussed Eugene Stoner/Armalite, who was the first to make the M-16/AR-15 platform. If you missed that, then you missed the fact that I know Colt wasn't the first. And you also missed, where we discussed how awful Stoner's rifle was for our troops in Vietnam. And you missed the most important part of that conversation, where I said The Colt was the "first to make it successful."

The definition you used of Gold Standard from Webster's dictionary, has nothing to do with the fact, that anybody who knows anything or has any experience with AR's knows, that every single gun forum or gun enthusiast has knowledge of this usage of phrase in the AR community, and refers to the Colt as the "Gold Standard" of AR's. And the reason they do this, isn't because it was first, But because Colt was the first TO DO THE AR RIGHT.

And since they were first to do it right, anyone and everyone who has or will attempt to make a successful or even better AR, has and or will copy that blueprint of success that was established by Colt. And I make this exact same argument for Glock.

The HK VP70 was the first polymer pistol, but it wasn't even close to being popular or successful. Glock however, made that success happen. Anyone who makes a polymer now and wishes it to be successful, is following Glock's Gold Standard of success and only hoping they too, can be as successful as Glock.

This has always been the debate I have maintained, lets not switch it up to something completely different that has no bearing. Any new AR or polymer still, has to copy/follow that model of success. No matter how great you think their gun is. And in doing so, makes and keeps the former two we have been discussing, the Gold Standards.

Glock earned their spot on the board for some time. They were the most widely known and still a reliable poly pistol. But like Colt, they are being caught up with and surpassed in fame.

After 32 years, I would hope others would catch up. As to the surpassed in fame part, That is just wishful thinking, not reality... yet.

As to the original posting, and reasoning behind this whole thing, Glock didn't make the price bid. Plain and simple.

As to my OP and the reasoning behind it, I'm pretty sure I was the first to state this. Plain & Simple.

You are quite right. But Stoner's creation was abysmal during Vietnam. It was Colt who FIRST, took Stoner's creation and made it work. Colt was FIRST to make it a success and a household name.

Some of the reading I have done on this topic puts the blame on the Army switching to a cheaper powder for the ammo. This created cleaning issues.

Either you haven't read the entire thread, or you have missed or ignored, where we discussed Eugene Stoner/Armalite, who was the first to make the M-16/AR-15 platform. If you missed that, then you missed the fact that I know Colt wasn't the first. And you also missed, where we discussed how awful Stoner's rifle was for our troops in Vietnam. And you missed the most important part of that conversation, where I said The Colt was the "first to make it successful."

The definition you used of Gold Standard from Webster's dictionary, has nothing to do with the fact, that anybody who knows anything or has any experience with AR's knows, that every single gun forum or gun enthusiast has knowledge of this usage of phrase in the AR community, and refers to the Colt as the "Gold Standard" of AR's. And the reason they do this, isn't because it was first, But because Colt was the first TO DO THE AR RIGHT.

And since they were first to do it right, anyone and everyone who has or will attempt to make a successful or even better AR, has and or will copy that blueprint of success that was established by Colt. And I make this exact same argument for Glock.

The HK VP70 was the first polymer pistol, but it wasn't even close to being popular or successful. Glock however, made that success happen. Anyone who makes a polymer now and wishes it to be successful, is following Glock's Gold Standard of success and only hoping they too, can be as successful as Glock.

This has always been the debate I have maintained, lets not switch it up to something completely different that has no bearing. Any new AR or polymer still, has to copy/follow that model of success. No matter how great you think their gun is. And in doing so, makes and keeps the former two we have been discussing, the Gold Standards.

After 32 years, I would hope others would catch up. As to the surpassed in fame part, That is just wishful thinking, not reality... yet.

As to my OP and the reasoning behind it, I'm pretty sure I was the first to state this. Plain & Simple.
Bad day... I actually mis-quoted a couple things and confused myself. I'm going back to hide in my corner now.

OkieStubble

Some of the reading I have done on this topic puts the blame on the Army switching to a cheaper powder for the ammo. This created cleaning issues.

I have read this also, among other issues like, incorrect headspacing, chambers that were too tight, non chrome lined barrels, cycling/buffer spring issues and the like. I have seen lots of articles saying they just weren't issued cleaning kits with their rifles.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

You are correct on the cleaning kits, Okie. Any failure of that magnitude has many causes.

It makes me wonder if they thought back then, that they could run the M-16 maintenance free because the Chinese were running AK's that way?

Top Bottom