What's new

Update: On Glock's Appeal against Army's Decision on Sig 320

It makes me wonder if they thought back then, that they could run the M-16 maintenance free because the Chinese were running AK's that way?

Yes. That was a very popular (albeit incorrect) mindset back in the 1960's in southeast Asia. The AKs were much less dependent on being kept clean, they also were built to pretty loose tolerances and as a result chamber, fire, and eject about anything this side of a pinto bean.

I was under the impression that the biggest reason for the stoppage in the testing was due to the fact that the Glock didn't meet all the requirements. I read that being a modular platform akin to the AR was one of the requirements and the Glock wasn't meeting that requirement like the Sig was.

I was under the impression that the biggest reason for the stoppage in the testing was due to the fact that the Glock didn't meet all the requirements. I read that being a modular platform akin to the AR was one of the requirements and the Glock wasn't meeting that requirement like the Sig was.
I had wondered about that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I read that being a modular platform akin to the AR was one of the requirements and the Glock wasn't meeting that requirement like the Sig was.

Other than the removable trigger housing in the Sig, Glock is capable of swapping barrels, slides, frames and magazines. I do it all the time with mine.

Other than the removable trigger housing in the Sig, Glock is capable of swapping barrels, slides, frames and magazines. I do it all the time with mine.

As a proposal manager and a proposal evaluator, I can tell you unequivocally that federal government proposal evaluation criteria are typically distilled into two components:
  • Lowest price.
  • Technically acceptable.
"Technically acceptable" means means being 100-percent compliant with all requirements stated in the Army's final request for proposal. Glock failed on both counts. Glock's protest is without merit.

OkieStubble

Glock's protest is without merit.

"We are not asking for them to overturn Sig," Dorsey said. "All we ask is for them to continue to test, so that the Army can be ensured that it has the best material solution for its soldiers.

I'm just the messenger. :)

Here's yet more on this whole debacle....I've no dog in this fight by the way. Own both Glocks and SIGs. Also, I carried the Beretta M9 for many years. Never a problem, tad saddened that Beretta didn't get the bid.....
Ironically, there is no mention made much of anywhere as to whether or not 9mm FMJ ammunition will continue to be the standard. I surely hope not. I am the biggest supporter of 9mm, always have been. But ball ammunition is far from the best choice in a 9mm round.

Was MHS a FAILURE? SIG vs. Glock, an In-Depth Analysis - The Firearm Blog

"There does not appear to be any evidence that the Government selected for value over performance. The Government selected for value in the absence of any major performance differences – which is not a shock, given how similar the competitors were, and how mature modern handgun design is."

OkieStubble

Here's yet more on this whole debacle....I've no dog in this fight by the way. Own both Glocks and SIGs. Also, I carried the Beretta M9 for many years. Never a problem, tad saddened that Beretta didn't get the bid.....
Ironically, there is no mention made much of anywhere as to whether or not 9mm FMJ ammunition will continue to be the standard. I surely hope not. I am the biggest supporter of 9mm, always have been. But ball ammunition is far from the best choice in a 9mm round.

Was MHS a FAILURE? SIG vs. Glock, an In-Depth Analysis - The Firearm Blog

It will be interesting to see what happens. I know for the testing, Sig brought their full sized and compact 320's in 9mm and Glock brought the full size model 22 in .40 and the compact model 19 in 9mm. But this is one of the things I think went wrong for Glock, because the Army specifically asked the competitors for full size and compact versions in 9mm.

Just for fun...

I think they should have picked the all steel CZ 75 over "all of the above" polymer wonders, but what do I know? I'm now an over-60 geezer.

. . . the Army specifically asked the competitors for full size and compact versions in 9mm.
And the Army could have DQd Glock on that point alone, but the $100 million price difference clinched it. OTOH, the burden of risk is almost entirely on the contractor in a firm fixed price (FFP) award. SIG may have bitten off more than it can chew.

Last I heard treaties still require the use of ball ammo, minimizes fatalities.

Got to look at the army version of the P320 in the pro shop at the Sig Sauer Academy today. Has an ambi safety somewhat similar to a 1911. Not entirely sure how I feel about that. It's definitely an improvement on the Beretta though, to me at least. The safety going up not down was always my least favorite part.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom