What's new

Like Glock, Beretta takes shot at the Army's new Pistol

I cut my teeth on a 1911 and M14. The guys before me thought the 14 was garbage. Nothing could replace the M1. Yet many operators still use versions of the 14 for sniper duty.

I thought the M16 was garbage and no way I was going into combat with a .223 squirrel gone. 40 years later....

So, I guess each generation has its tools and the previous generation will always bemoan the changes.
Back in my day we HAD to headspace and time the m2. These kids these days are lucky with m2A1 with the fixed head space...

Beretta doesn't get to complain about a new pistols unreliability with the substandard steel they put in the early US Military contracts M9's.

Though if the new pistols are unreliable it does need to be fixed because the US military keeps around it's pistols for far too long. The last US purchased M1911A1's I think was 1944 and were in reserve units into the early 1990's. Though pistols are pretty obsolete in everything but convenience to carry. The M4 carbine filled the role that the M1 Carbine failed to fill, a combat replacement for the pistol. You can shorten the stock and have a very compact weapon for close quarters combat and several orders of magnitude more useful at ranges father than 10 meters.

Last edited:
Sore losers.

1. It's a standard issue sidearm for rank & file troops, not a primary weapon.
2. The drop test failures applied to the civilian P320 only. Even then, the gun had to be deliberately dropped in a very particular way, and SIG immediately resolved the issue, such as it was.
3. I don't own a SIG (but have shot the P228 and loved it) and don't have a vested interest in the outcome.
4. The fact of the matter is that Glock and Beretta lost. In a competitive federal procurement like this, "in the end there can be only one."

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So, I guess each generation has its tools and the previous generation will always bemoan the changes.

Nothing beats the stopping power of muzzle-loaded black powder!

Keep your toy guns off my lawn!

Top Bottom