What's new

Torrey Tuesday

Today will go down as my most glorious Torrey Tuesday, just picked this up as the post office closed...

8D23A97E-879E-49AB-A6E7-908BA808ED65.jpeg

215CDFDE-8754-46C8-ABB8-5938117FABC5.jpeg

29144EEB-5A8B-4C07-832C-055CA31E61A1.jpeg

B44CD5DA-4F9D-4D8B-8C93-4F0B563E26DC.jpeg

0C613DF8-EEE0-4814-9E7F-2DECD174D20F.jpeg

F6247054-26E1-4301-8439-4E7A01AEF1A9.jpeg

8062C695-9EC5-4514-A714-BD7A1EC14079.jpeg

60C4B864-AA99-4C91-8D66-A3D737C8AF96.jpeg

624B524A-50E0-441D-BDCB-1F20E0BA0E60.jpeg

She seems to be an honest shave ready still from whoever used her last, so I may get a shave in tonight.

Attachments

• ACC41A0E-FF34-414D-9F80-F2EB1CDE1570.jpeg
    ACC41A0E-FF34-414D-9F80-F2EB1CDE1570.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
B995FEEA-2D14-4CDA-B41B-B15582E343DB.jpeg

Im so glad to be in the shoulderless hollow ground torrey club now! This is an excellent razor by any measure, and it sounds and feels great in use. The balance and feedback are really great, the only thing I’m pondering is I wish it had the jimps I see on all the 136s. I’m fairly certain this was still the factory edge, just stropped and used a handful of times. It definitely came back to life after a solid 40/60 linen/leather stropping, at least enough to go against the grain everywhere but the fools pass.

I owe a big thanks to someone here who I’ll never remember that posted 4 years ago that he puts a dab of Cremo on top of any underperforming glycerine soap to make lasting lather. I was a lurker back then but it’s something I’ve done plenty of times now since I just run whatever soap my wife buys me.

I’m thankful you guys push this thread because it “enabled” me to go chase deals on the shoulderless models, and this one was definitely worth the chase.

Today will go down as my most glorious Torrey Tuesday, just picked this up as the post office closed...

View attachment 989727

View attachment 989729

View attachment 989719

View attachment 989720

View attachment 989721

View attachment 989722

View attachment 989723

View attachment 989725

View attachment 989726

She seems to be an honest shave ready still from whoever used her last, so I may get a shave in tonight.

I notice that auction. Happy a member and Torrey aficionado was able to acquire. Congrats @Namkcakram .:a14:

I can tell you all it's not been good here since I bust my blade by dropping it, but the good news is I have bought a replacement I managed to find it last night so here is the new one on route hoping it makes it here for next shave

J.R. Torrey Co. Our 136

1.jpg

2.jpg

But then right place right time

JR Torrey 210, USA 5/8th

5.jpg
6.jpg

So now i have a backup

Last edited:
So does anyone know the story behind “Our 136”? I spotted a Henckels 136 with roughly the same shoulderless grind, so I’m wondering if it was a common number to other German makers prior to Torrey releasing their version. Sort of how everyone and their brother had a “14”, but now we mostly associate Filis and a few select Germans with that numbering.

97D9DF7B-7DDA-425F-9A2D-798141A0BE93.jpeg
So does anyone know the story behind “Our 136”? I spotted a Henckels 136 with roughly the same shoulderless grind, so I’m wondering if it was a common number to other German makers prior to Torrey releasing their version. Sort of how everyone and their brother had a “14”, but now we mostly associate Filis and a few select Germans with that numbering.

Torrey referred to their razors by numbers. I have not discovered what they mean, if anything.

So, this was razor style 136. Ive read it was one of their most popular. This is from a 1909 ad.
The Saturday Evening Post

I don't know, I wonder about this myself. I love a shoulderless grind in any case, but my Torrey 136 is just about the best razor I think I've ever used at this point, no kidding. I normally like heavier grinds in the 6/8ths+ range, so a 5/8ths full hollow American razor is a real departure for me. That little dude just shaves.

For the past month I've used my Torrey 136 exclusively. One shave last week, I broke down and used an expensive and really nice near-mint Henckels Friodur I bought over a month ago, just because I hated to have it sitting there unused. I never expected to like the Torrey 136 as much as I did, I just wanted to try a Torrey.

The Henckels shaved as close as the Torrey, but that close shave honestly left me with a bit of irritation. The Torrey shaves as close, but is more forgiving. I dunno, I guess I got a special one, can't say enough good about it.

I don't know, I wonder about this myself. I love a shoulderless grind in any case, but my Torrey 136 is just about the best razor I think I've ever used at this point, no kidding. I normally like heavier grinds in the 6/8ths+ range, so a 5/8ths full hollow American razor is a real departure for me. That little dude just shaves.

For the past month I've used my Torrey 136 exclusively. One shave last week, I broke down and used an expensive and really nice near-mint Henckels Friodur I bought over a month ago, just because I hated to have it sitting there unused. I never expected to like the Torrey 136 as much as I did, I just wanted to try a Torrey.

The Henckels shaved as close as the Torrey, but that close shave honestly left me with a bit of irritation. The Torrey shaves as close, but is more forgiving. I dunno, I guess I got a special one, can't say enough good about it.

Im only one shave in, but that’s definitely encouraging to read! I already have a love affair with 5/8-13/16+ American full hollows, but even among my little collection in that pool the Torrey is definitely a standout.

Congratulations! The 136 I found was hardly if ever used. It shaves so well like yours.

It’s good to know the #136 is comparing well with more prized brands.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You guys are killing me.

These Torrey 136 razors are terrible razors. Just junk I tell you. If you have one don't use it, but either send it to me and take advantage of my free-to-members disposal services, or sell it cheap on eBay. If you put it on eBay sell it as a Buy it Now item for a very low price but send me a PM so I can buy it and make sure nobody else has to suffer through the horrors of trying to shave with such a bad razor!

I do this only out of love for humanity and my fellow shavers.

proxy.php

They are also very much impossible to hone and they do not hold an edge. Plus, the are prone to slicing you open and sending you to the plastic surgeon. They are not FDA approved!

Above all if you see these nasty razor shaped objects on eBay do this - DO NOT BID ON THEM - when you bid on them you drive the prices up which makes other gentlemen think they're valuable. They are garbage. Do not buy them. Send yours to me. I'll take care of you. Trust me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Im a metallurgy nerd and Torrey stands out to me at this point for tempering their blades harder than the average American maker.

But yeah nobody reading this bid on them for at least the next few months... sharpening issues, shaving issues, etc.

I’m reasonably sure their strops are all junk too.

Last edited:
I just picked up a new 0146 in 5/8” for very cheap ! It’s getting honed and ready . But I’m still looking for a 6/8”

6C1A99C0-5D16-4F48-B003-FA29C11D9BD7.png

I’ve seen the #136 in square and barbers notch tip, but no round. Can anyone confirm?

#146 is round tipped and not shoulderless, apparently.

Perhaps if we pool out resources we can figure out the number system.

You guys are killing me.

These Torrey 136 razors are terrible razors. Just junk I tell you. If you have one don't use it, but either send it to me and take advantage of my free-to-members disposal services, or sell it cheap on eBay. If you put it on eBay sell it as a Buy it Now item for a very low price but send me a PM so I can buy it and make sure nobody else has to suffer through the horrors of trying to shave with such a bad razor!

I do this only out of love for humanity and my fellow shavers.

proxy.php

They are also very much impossible to hone and they do not hold an edge. Plus, the are prone to slicing you open and sending you to the plastic surgeon. They are not FDA approved!

Above all if you see these nasty razor shaped objects on eBay do this - DO NOT BID ON THEM - when you bid on them you drive the prices up which makes other gentlemen think they're valuable. They are garbage. Do not buy them. Send yours to me. I'll take care of you. Trust me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Oh Jim....

When mine arrives I better bin it in the scrap pile, ready for the scrapman to take away if they are that bad...

Top Bottom