What's new

Torrey Tuesday

I’m in... Ive reached the acceptance phase now where I can believe it was forged in America and is very hard. I really honed the crap out of it on the best Coticule I have over the weekend, Hopefully I got it to where I want it.

87CD8D71-8CCA-45FF-8574-629D33549071.jpeg
Great edges equal a great result. This one one fine razor, no matter if it’s 110 years old.

I’m in... Ive reached the acceptance phase now where I can believe it was forged in America and is very hard. I really honed the crap out of it on the best Coticule I have over the weekend, Hopefully I got it to where I want it.

I need to practice more on my best and only Coticule. The "Our 136" was spruced up with 60 x's on the Much Maligned Timber Tools Thuringian (MMTT) last night under a small stream of water.

Morning Torrey Tuesday Shavers, I’m in for this Tuesday with the TORREY 999. It’s one I like but not my favorite Torrey. Nice CCS this morning all things considered
1042D75F-5D2C-4CA7-AF45-1CD801BA2E56.jpeg

As promised here she is !!! I don’t really like smaller blades but I must say this razor shaved like a champ! BBS no problem and was very maneuverable to shave with . I also used my newly found 1920’s brownie Gillette De for my Goatee cleanup .

E7B15B60-01F0-4F14-8AF4-267342FEF018.jpeg
yyh

Last edited:
Anytime!! If you want to know where I bough that awesome bowl just pm me . It’s actually made from ox horn. Super cool and an absolutely wonderful scuttle !!! It’s the only one i use , I actually have two of them .

View attachment 982552 Great edges equal a great result. This one one fine razor, no matter if it’s 110 years old.

Beautiful 136! I thought mine was pretty clean, but that one is next level.

I worked late and wasn't able to reply yesterday. I've been shaving exclusively with the Torrey "Our 136" for over the past week. I run every razor I acquire, even shave ready ones, through the same honing progression.

Not because I'm any kind of honemeister or anything, but just so I have a level playing field, for me. I have a certain way I like my edges to feel on my face, and that progression gives me that feel, even with differing levels of sharpness. I'm not a robot, and accept that I vary in the keenness of the edges I get using the same progression. I know this because I can run the same razor back through the same progression and generally get better results if I was "off." But sharp or less sharp, the feel on the skin is the same for me, and that's important.

Anyhow, so all that said, the Torrey 136 edge has held up perfectly and maybe even improved with repeated flax linen/leather stropping. Either they had a good day at the factory or I had a good day on the stones, but it's just an excellent razor. The best American razor I've used. I have two other Torreys, one good, and a 992 that I found a little disappointing (but very pretty!). But that particular 136 is just great. I'm going to keep sticking with it exclusively for a while, I find I do better sticking with one razor for several weeks or even months rather than a daily rotation. But it can be hard because I have several I like, and like variety.

But for now anyway, I'm a confirmed Torrey man. :001_wub:

Beautiful 136! I thought mine was pretty clean, but that one is next level.

I worked late and wasn't able to reply yesterday. I've been shaving exclusively with the Torrey "Our 136" for over the past week. I run every razor I acquire, even shave ready ones, through the same honing progression.

Not because I'm any kind of honemeister or anything, but just so I have a level playing field, for me. I have a certain way I like my edges to feel on my face, and that progression gives me that feel, even with differing levels of sharpness. I'm not a robot, and accept that I vary in the keenness of the edges I get using the same progression. I know this because I can run the same razor back through the same progression and generally get better results if I was "off." But sharp or less sharp, the feel on the skin is the same for me, and that's important.

Anyhow, so all that said, the Torrey 136 edge has held up perfectly and maybe even improved with repeated flax linen/leather stropping. Either they had a good day at the factory or I had a good day on the stones, but it's just an excellent razor. The best American razor I've used. I have two other Torreys, one good, and a 992 that I found a little disappointing (but very pretty!). But that particular 136 is just great. I'm going to keep sticking with it exclusively for a while, I find I do better sticking with one razor for several weeks or even months rather than a daily rotation. But it can be hard because I have several I like, and like variety.

But for now anyway, I'm a confirmed Torrey man. :001_wub:

That was one great post. Thank you for participating. Torrey made the most beautiful blades IMO.

Well Gentlemen, Torrey Tuesday approaches, are you in? I am soon to be adding 25 linen and 50 or so horse hide to the famous Our 136. We'll see you tomorrow. :a50:

A5CA4CC9-4A57-4953-A8AF-2DDB671898C8.jpeg
The Torrey performed well once I got to the second pass. I did a third pass on certain areas and my face feels smooth and well.

View attachment 984817 The Torrey performed well once I got to the second pass. I did a third pass on certain areas and my face feels smooth and well.

Used the trusty 136 again this morning, myself! I've been using it exclusively for I think 3 weeks now, getting great shaves every time. I too do a 3-pass, plus some touch-ups.

And for me, 40 strokes on flax linen followed by 60 strokes on leather is working well. That, and every few days I throw in maybe 10-15 strokes on a heavy and aggressive flax linen fire hose strop. This setup seems to allow me to keep a well-honed blade with good steel sharp for months.

I wasn't able to do that for years, until last year when I started taking flax linen stropping seriously. I used to think linen stropping was a waste of time, I was very wrong. They've bundled linen strops with leather for many years, for a reason. They knew.

Used the trusty 136 again this morning, myself! I've been using it exclusively for I think 3 weeks now, getting great shaves every time. I too do a 3-pass, plus some touch-ups.

And for me, 40 strokes on flax linen followed by 60 strokes on leather is working well. That, and every few days I throw in maybe 10-15 strokes on a heavy and aggressive flax linen fire hose strop. This setup seems to allow me to keep a well-honed blade with good steel sharp for months.

I wasn't able to do that for years, until last year when I started taking flax linen stropping seriously. I used to think linen stropping was a waste of time, I was very wrong. They've bundled linen strops with leather for many years, for a reason. They knew.

I’m using linen also.

Top Bottom