What's new

Torrey Tuesday

But seriously most of my blades I go a long while on mostly leather, maybe 6-12 laps on linen after a shave to clean the blade off is all. I find my edges stay keener longer that way... once they’re mostly dead I can linen strop them mostly back to life with one big linen session, but I swear the linen almost dumbs down my edges in a weird way. Cotis are the one exception, they need a lot of stropping fresh off the hone.

But seriously most of my blades I go a long while on mostly leather, maybe 6-12 laps on linen after a shave to clean the blade off is all. I find my edges stay keener longer that way... once they’re mostly dead I can linen strop them mostly back to life with one big linen session, but I swear the linen almost dumbs down my edges in a weird way. Cotis are the one exception, they need a lot of stropping fresh off the hone.

Thanks for sharing your experience post Coticule. I've had a challenge getting an edge that will shave my beard off that stone. How many laps on linen post Coticule? I have a two piece Illinois with linen and horse.

In the past 24 hours I have read members praise linen. You post was the third comment about using linen. I just thought it was funny given their praise was the opposite experience.

Oh, and thanks for participating in TT. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience post Coticule. I've had a challenge getting an edge that will shave my beard off that stone. How many laps on linen post Coticule? I have a two piece Illinois with linen and horse.

In the past 24 hours I have read members praise linen. You post was the third comment about using linen. I just thought it was funny given their praise was the opposite experience.

Oh, and thanks for participating in TT. :)

The stereotypical mystic “become one with your stone” thing is all true IME. I’ve owned 4 normal Cotis and cut down to two, then just bought a Les Lat hybrid layer bout which is sort of its own thing. My two normal Cotis vary wildly in their cutting speed on water and apparent fineness of their edge finish. One is blazing fast, and seems to need either fewer finishing laps under full running water, or if a lot of finishing laps it needs up to 60 laps with no pressure on linen. The other Coti is SLOW on water, but leaves a mirror bevel to the naked eye and only needs 20-40 laps on linen. The Les Lat so far I’ve only honed my one test mule razor on, but man is it promising so far... I could run a 3 Coti progression with my stones and get slower but noticeably increase the finish each stone. All 3 will shave fine it’s just a little bit different for each stone. The great thing is no matter how funky an edge I get I can usually just go back to a few sets of 20-30 half strokes to reset an edge and be back to finishing on running water again. You really can’t beat a Coti you’re familiar with for ease of touch up honing.

The stereotypical mystic “become one with your stone” thing is all true IME. I’ve owned 4 normal Cotis and cut down to two, then just bought a Les Lat hybrid layer bout which is sort of its own thing. My two normal Cotis vary wildly in their cutting speed on water and apparent fineness of their edge finish. One is blazing fast, and seems to need either fewer finishing laps under full running water, or if a lot of finishing laps it needs up to 60 laps with no pressure on linen. The other Coti is SLOW on water, but leaves a mirror bevel to the naked eye and only needs 20-40 laps on linen. The Les Lat so far I’ve only honed my one test mule razor on, but man is it promising so far... I could run a 3 Coti progression with my stones and get slower but noticeably increase the finish each stone. All 3 will shave fine it’s just a little bit different for each stone. The great thing is no matter how funky an edge I get I can usually just go back to a few sets of 20-30 half strokes to reset an edge and be back to finishing on running water again. You really can’t beat a Coti you’re familiar with for ease of touch up honing.

Thanks for the insight.:)

I'll go ahead before I forget and mention that Torrey Tuesday approaches for those interested in this maker and the excellent razors they manufactured. We'll see you tomorrow. :a4:

In for sure, trying a new stone/new edge... erring a bit more on the side of wavy bevel line but hopefully sharper edge this time.

It’s a Torrey for Tuesday
307EF4E4-F0C6-4949-BE7A-E4000224B968.jpeg

Believe it or not, I forgot it was Torrey Tuesday until I have lathered and was making a first pass this AM. The 136 is ready so I will have a Torrey Wednesday.

I was in a major rush this morning so it was my once a month rush through WTG With a cheapo DE and run to work.

But because it’s Tuesday I had to come back and enjoy the shave tonight.
68B2CEF4-75A4-47CD-928F-B235D2176A7D.jpeg

Finally got the edge just where it needs to be, and got a full 2 pass BBS no issues including fools pass. Getting the bevels co-planar to this point leaves the edge just a bit wavy. You can just make out the hump and dip in the 1/3 of the edge closest to the heel:
B4F81963-BB04-4C3B-8DB7-EB988093C2DA.jpeg

Overall though it’s an awesome blade despite the struggles; it’s interesting seeing American steel tempered this hard and makes me want to buy another to test out. I’ll hang onto this one though, I don’t want to pass along honing problems and I can’t fault a razor for a previous owners’ shenanigans.

I was in a major rush this morning so it was my once a month rush through WTG With a cheapo DE and run to work.

But because it’s Tuesday I had to come back and enjoy the shave tonight.
View attachment 987587
Finally got the edge just where it needs to be, and got a full 2 pass BBS no issues including fools pass. Getting the bevels co-planar to this point leaves the edge just a bit wavy. You can just make out the hump and dip in the 1/3 of the edge closest to the heel:
View attachment 987588

Overall though it’s an awesome blade despite the struggles; it’s interesting seeing American steel tempered this hard and makes me want to buy another to test out. I’ll hang onto this one though, I don’t want to pass along honing problems and I can’t fault a razor for a previous owners’ shenanigans.

Great have TT, brother. The 136 is ready for Wed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very nice shave with a great blade.

6-11-19.TorreySnap.Kit.640.Chai.Horse.JPG

Torrey 136 with blade snap holder. Honed to perfection on the Double Convex Ark 8x3.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom