What's new

Tips n Gratuities

I waited tables for four years in the 80's. 10% was the norm. Minimum wage was $3.35. Wait staff was paid $2.01. Forty bucks in tips after an eight hour shift was "good money" to a kid. I loved Friday nights. I would work 6p-2a. At the end of the shift with forty bucks cash, I had enough money to go to breakfast at Hardee's, play Donkey Kong at the 24 hour convenience store until 4 am, and fill up my Barracuda on the way home. After all that, I still had over 20 bucks in my pocket...I wish I could go back.

Last edited:
It's totally out of control!
Companies need to step up and pay the employees more instead of making them ask for tips (for jobs that traditionally didn't rely on tips).
If you deliver me the pizza, I tip. If I use my truck to pick it up, I don't!
That's the way it's always been in the US!
One exception I make are little local businesses that I frequent often where I know the owner and the couple of employees they have.
I know they don't sit on a mound of profits so I help out a bit by leaving a tip.

I don't understand why each new generation feels entitled to 5% more than the last. When I was making tips standard was 10%. That's all I got, it's all you get. Sometimes I'll round it up to 15% for excellent service but 20% - 30% is ridiculous.

The flip side of story is like when some well off Hollywood Star shows up frequently with Posse in tow, get private room at local restaurant, runs some waitress ragged for 3 -4 hours plus, then pays bill in pile of cash, bill was over $400.00, then leave exact change to next highest dollar. This happen frequently in Sacramento at a place I use to go.

One day manager stopped the star in parking to speak with guy about his nothing tips less than buck. Star replied something like you can tell the B**** she can tell the world she got to wait on _____ ______.

True story as I was working potential about star & girl friend who was local knocked up with his baby.

Restaurant was know hangout, good place to gather info. Today that star is worth 200 million, back then maybe 25 million.

Last edited:
The flip side of story is like when some well off Hollywood Star shows up frequently with Posse in tow, get private room, runs some waitress ragged for 3 -4 hours plus, then pays bill in pile of cash, bill was over $400.00, then leave exact change to next highest dollar.

This happen frequently in Sacramento at a place I use to go.

One day manager stopped star in parking to speak with guy about his nothing tips. Star replied something like you can tell the B**** she can tell the world she got to wait on _____ ______.

True story as I was working potential about star & girl friend who was local.

Restaurant was know hangout, good place to gather info.

A friend of mine had been a busboy at the Nevele.

He told me that as far as tips were concerned,
a table of plumbers was very much better
than a table of doctors.

A friend of mine had been a busboy at the Nevele.

He told me that as far as tips were concerned,
a table of plumbers was very much better
than a table of doctors.

I grew up around lot of famous people being a Burbank Kids, some Celebrities are cool, generous people, and get that the fans they have pay bills. Others think they are special, and are self centered jerks.

Well if you want to be paid will for job skills, get job skills.

Remember starting to dabble in photography in 1970’s got paid 3 bucks per published image in local Newspaper.

Buy end of career I was getting $350.00 per day plus expenses, big publication was more like $500.00 a day.

On top of that tere was an average of 5K a month in overseas royalties.

That was in late 1990’s, let’s say it too time to build a reputation to justify more then peanut payments.

People who are working non traditional jobs tipping was not normal. Now resort place a Tip Jar hoping to get something for nothing special.

Like a person who takes or for black coffee, takes payment, fills cup, and last hand to customer.

What did they do special, IMHO nothing. If you’re guilty ridden sucessful person, and want to tip this person $1,000.00. Or Buck, be my guest it’s your money.

Last edited:
Basically if you have personally worked for tips, you tend to understand tipping and if you haven't... well let's say many don't get it.

I do agree that folks making an hourly wage that doesn't account for tipping expecting tips, deserves mentioning separately. I'm talking about those whose hourly wage is intentionally low with the expectation of tip wages to supplement.

Well if you work job we’re Tip are part of pay. Give everyone a good experience, good service, etc.

Bottom line is some people will tip, some will tip very well, and some will paycheck leaving nothing for your effort.

Guy I know dose Lift/Uber, he is alway bashing people who don’t tip. I got tired of his crying, point out his vechicle is never clean, inside is dirt, and last he is not friendly.

Guy is from Middle-east, and is away talking about how home country is so much better , at Cigar shop we both use to go too.

One day I asked if he complained when play taxi drivr? He snarled at me. I said you need return home to be happy.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Guy I know dose Lift/Uber, he is alway bashing people who don’t tip. I got tired of his crying, point out his vechicle is never clean, inside is dirt, and last he is not friendly.

Guy is from Middle-east, and is away talking about how home country is so much better , at Cigar shop we both use to go too.

One day I asked if he complained when play taxi drivr? He snarled at me. I said you need return home to be happy.

I am reminded of something ...

About a decade ago SWMBO and I went on a trip to Las Vegas. At one point we get a taxi to take us from where we were on The Strip to our hotel a ways down The Strip. Something like a $20 ride. I get in the front beside the driver, and wife gets in the back, and off we go.

Pleasant chatter back and forth as we travel along, with our taxi driver. He asks where we're visiting from ... Canada ... says some nice stuff about Canada. We notice his accent and where's he from ... I forget where exactly but somewhere in Africa. Ok cool. Everything really nice until we get to the hotel. We pull up and turns out the fare is a bit more than I had expected but no biggie. I pull out my wallet and take every bill I have out ... just enough to cover the fare and half a buck more so I hand it to the guy ... I'm literally just starting to turn to the back seat to ask my wife what she has so we can tip the dude, and he launches into a huge tirade about how he hates Canadian passengers and we never tip and yada yada yada.

I never did ask the wife for that tip.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am reminded of something ...

About a decade ago SWMBO and I went on a trip to Las Vegas. At one point we get a taxi to take us from where we were on The Strip to our hotel a ways down The Strip. Something like a $20 ride. I get in the front beside the driver, and wife gets in the back, and off we go.

Pleasant chatter back and forth as we travel along, with our taxi driver. He asks where we're visiting from ... Canada ... says some nice stuff about Canada. We notice his accent and where's he from ... I forget where exactly but somewhere in Africa. Ok cool. Everything really nice until we get to the hotel. We pull up and turns out the fare is a bit more than I had expected but no biggie. I pull out my wallet and take every bill I have out ... just enough to cover the fare and half a buck more so I hand it to the guy ... I'm literally just starting to turn to the back seat to ask my wife what she has so we can tip the dude, and he launches into a huge tirade about how he hates Canadian passengers and we never tip and yada yada yada.

I never did ask the wife for that tip.
images.jpg

I tip if its warranted. If its demanded, such as the aforementioned Subway l avoid the place. Since the powers that be decided burger flippers and coffee pourers should get $15 an hour l just figure the tip is included in the price increase.

Well I recall owning a State Employee who worked vital records, she was a suporvisor, who always got me documents I waned in two hours, not the normal 6 weeks. I found out the first time I deal with this supervisor she was Sees Candy lover, 5 pound box of Truffle made wheelsl of progress move fast.

Sometimes a Tip is important, and my client had no problems reimbursing me for the Candy.

My oldest brother is the king of tippers. I've seen him give an extra $100 on a $40 check for really good service. I try to tip between 15-20% for meal service. My masseuse always gets a tip. And I always tip delivery drivers at least $10 regardless of the bill.

Just had an interesting exchange with my landscaper.
So, after showing him a few areas that have been more or less neglected and pointing out some clippings which may have been missed from yesterday; he informs that there will be an increase planned for October onwards.

The kicker, "To ensure Premiere Service..." there will be a 50% increase in overall cost - of course he simply stated that starting in October his services will cost $X amount.

Let me think this over for a hot minute :skep:

Just had an interesting exchange with my landscaper.
So, after showing him a few areas that have been more or less neglected and pointing out some clippings which may have been missed from yesterday; he informs that there will be an increase planned for October onwards.

The kicker, "To ensure Premiere Service..." there will be a 50% increase in overall cost - of course he simply stated that starting in October his services will cost $X amount.

Let me think this over for a hot minute :skep:

Time to replace the guy, he don't appreciate you.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Minimum wage was $3.35. Wait staff was paid $2.01.

Unfortunately, you'd probably still be making that same wage if you were working now. I want to say that most bartenders and servers around here get somewhere around $2.50/hr. The minimum "tipped" wage in Texas is $2.13/hr (the "regular" minimum wage is $7.25).

One guy I know does a little bit of floor managing from time to time, so he gets something like $3.35/hr while tending bar (and more when actually doing that managing). That might could cut it a bit 40 years ago, but it's essentially nothing these days.

I'm talking about those whose hourly wage is intentionally low with the expectation of tip wages to supplement.

Yes, indeed. I tip those that get that "tipped wage." I'll tip pretty well, too, usually no less than 20% on the pre-tax, pre-discount amount, and I'll often go to 25%. There are a few places I might even do a little more, but those places pay particularly good care of us and often more than return the favor.

And I'll often tip that even if the service is cruddy. Everyone has a bad day. Grace wins out, and I'll cut them some slack, especially if it's some place I know and typically get good service. If it's a place I don't know, that little bit of grace might be what brings them back around. Chances are that, if they really are just having a bad day, it's probably because they are facing a bad money problem. That extra couple of bucks means a heck of a lot more to them than it does to me.

Now, if it's obvious that it's just the way they do things around there, that's a different story. I'll still tip nicely, but that'll be as much as they'll ever get from me because I'm not going back.

There was a place that I used to go to that, at one time, was truly a great place. Excellent food and beer selection. The folks had attitude, but it was largely good natured busting one's chops. However, a few things happened, and that attitude soured. It was hard to get someone's attention (even when they were right there). The last straw was when they went to an iPad *** system, and those tip buttons were there. The options were 25%, 30%, and 35%. That was at least 10 years ago, too. I think I went back once because a friend was in from out of town and wanted to go there, but that was it for me.

Top Bottom