What's new

Mincemeat!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Now since we're talking about fruitcakes and other traditional Christmas eating favorites, I thought we should give the fruitcake's old cousin, mincemeat, some love here too.

One of Mrs. C's annual gifts to me every Christmas is to make a sheet of our family's now 100+ year old recipe mincemeat cookies. I've been nibbling on these little gems since about the age of 4, every December, without fail. As a little tot, the grandparents would sprinkle some confectioner's sugar on them for me. But starting a few years later, I graduated to eating them "straight". And have ever since.

I think I am the last one in the family to so enjoy our mincemeat cookies.

More of a tiny mincemeat tart, but the making of the crust material I am told (every year) is extremely labor intensive. Each cookie must be hand filled and folded. At this point, she only makes a couple dozen of them, and we ration out the few I don't eat.

I don't ask Mrs. C to make the mincemeat itself. Never have, and never will. All I ask, kindly, is that it have some booze in it, and that the recipe be followed. Mrs. C loves me, so she does just that. I treasure those little cookies every year for a week or so.

But what we have found here as the years have gone by is that the supply of mincemeat is disappearing, as our world moves on from it.

In years past, I would pick up a case of the Crosse & Blackwell with brandy and rum, which would last us a few years, enough extra for a pie or two along the way. This was the best store-bought American blend out there for decades. In the last few years I would order it from the manufacturer, as the stores slowly stopped carrying it. And this year, it has gone completely away. Unavailable.

That left Mrs. C in the difficult position of scouring for the cheaper brand, "NS". After great effort, she was only able to find 2 jars left, at a grocer that only ordered 6 for this entire season. And she had to explain to the young clerks at the courtesy counter where they were holding it, that no, "there is no meat in mincemeat".

The kids there were positively amazed at this mysterious food from another alien world, another time. And they studied the ingredients, and declared it sounded tasty indeed, even if it did have no meat in it.

So this year we finally had a shortage, and had to go across the pond (via an import grocer) to source out what may be the last readily available source of ready-made mincemeat in America in December 2023 ...

Tiptree.jpeg

I am hopeful that it is as good as the American variety, and I suspect it is. Maybe even better. The English do know their mincemeat. But at a cost of nearly double of what we had been paying, I also suspect that we are slowly winding down our tradition at a good time.

But all that having been said, who here also relishes a good homemade mincemeat pie or cookie, that most traditional of Thanksgiving and Christmas fillings?

Now since we're talking about fruitcakes and other traditional Christmas eating favorites, I thought we should give the fruitcake's old cousin, mincemeat, some love here too.

One of Mrs. C's annual gifts to me every Christmas is to make a sheet of our family's now 100+ year old recipe mincemeat cookies. I've been nibbling on these little gems since about the age of 4, every December, without fail. As a little tot, the grandparents would sprinkle some confectioner's sugar on them for me. But starting a few years later, I graduated to eating them "straight". And have ever since.

I think I am the last one in the family to so enjoy our mincemeat cookies.

More of a tiny mincemeat tart, but the making of the crust material I am told (every year) is extremely labor intensive. Each cookie must be hand filled and folded. At this point, she only makes a couple dozen of them, and we ration out the few I don't eat.

I don't ask Mrs. C to make the mincemeat itself. Never have, and never will. All I ask, kindly, is that it have some booze in it, and that the recipe be followed. Mrs. C loves me, so she does just that. I treasure those little cookies every year for a week or so.

But what we have found here as the years have gone by is that the supply of mincemeat is disappearing, as our world moves on from it.

In years past, I would pick up a case of the Crosse & Blackwell with brandy and rum, which would last us a few years, enough extra for a pie or two along the way. This was the best store-bought American blend out there for decades. In the last few years I would order it from the manufacturer, as the stores slowly stopped carrying it. And this year, it has gone completely away. Unavailable.

That left Mrs. C in the difficult position of scouring for the cheaper brand, "NS". After great effort, she was only able to find 2 jars left, at a grocer that only ordered 6 for this entire season. And she had to explain to the young clerks at the courtesy counter where they were holding it, that no, "there is no meat in mincemeat".

The kids there were positively amazed at this mysterious food from another alien world, another time. And they studied the ingredients, and declared it sounded tasty indeed, even if it did have no meat in it.

So this year we finally had a shortage, and had to go across the pond (via an import grocer) to source out what may be the last readily available source of ready-made mincemeat in America in December 2023 ...

View attachment 1763494

I am hopeful that it is as good as the American variety, and I suspect it is. Maybe even better. The English do know their mincemeat. But at a cost of nearly double of what we had been paying, I also suspect that we are slowly winding down our tradition at a good time.

But all that having been said, who here also relishes a good homemade mincemeat pie or cookie, that most traditional of Thanksgiving and Christmas fillings?
I like their various citrus marmalades but this one I passed more than once. I guess it’s minced dried fruit? Can you use it as a spread as is or do you have to process it like those cookies?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I like their various citrus marmalades but this one I passed more than once. I guess it’s minced dried fruit? Can you use it as a spread as is or do you have to process it like those cookies?

I imagine you could eat it right out of the jar with a spoon, and it would be quite tasty. But it's even better once baked into a pie or cookie shell. Similar to any other fruit filling.

No, it is not dry at all. Vine fruits and apples are the base. The fruit juices mingle with the added spices and booze to create a lovely flavor. Rich and tasty, but not heavy in the least.

This English recipe uses a brandy, so I am sure to be happy.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mincemeat! Mmmmm...good. :)

Mincemeat is my favourite pie. Quelle surprise.

I'm also a fan of "mince" which among cooks I knew meant "mincemeat without the meat." I still have some jars of green-tomato mince in the root cellar. Easy to make, as long as one is growing tomatoes which I am not lately due to some sensitivities. I will say it's not difficult to make a decent mince or mincemeat in any event.

If you're in the mood, look up the latest edition of The Ball Blue Book which may have several mince and mincemeat recipes. In Canada look for the same general book by Bernardin, which is part of the same company now. Or look in older cookbooks. Or ask. I'm happy to share a couple of formulas if it'll guarantee your holiday happiness. :)

O.H.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Columbo:
Mincemeat pies has been another favorite holiday standout since I was a little boy.
1702505548093.gif

Growing up in East Lansing, Mich, I remember my Mom chopping & mincing the suet & beef, combining the dried fruits, nuts, brandy & spices (now I use canned minicemeat...not like the traditional pies Mom made from old), to 'rest' for days before final pastry assembly and baking! :w00t:

...and I'm still looking for my Mom's recipe (I don't remember, but I bet she 'snuck-in' a can or two of mincemeat pie filling for 'good measure'), but I'm going to call my sister (Mom, passed away years ago), if I don't find it.
proxy.php

Other than that...I love the taste (and yes...besides being pricey...I can eat it right out of the jar), of this brand by Borden;

proxy.php
proxy.php

Now I love it served with brandy cream (I fold a little sugar and brandy gently into fresh whipped heavy cream)! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"Mince[meat] pie may have lost its meat, and its other ingredients may now be freely available all year round, but it has not lost its association with Christmas [...]. Janet Clarkson, Pie: A Global History

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Columbo:
Mincemeat pies has been another favorite holiday standout since I was a little boy. View attachment 1763631

Growing up in East Lansing, Mich, I remember my Mom chopping & mincing the suet & beef, combining the dried fruits, nuts, brandy & spices (now I use canned minicemeat...not like the traditional pies Mom made from old), to 'rest' for days before final pastry assembly and baking! :w00t:

...and I'm still looking for my Mom's recipe (I don't remember, but I bet she 'snuck-in' a can or two of mincemeat pie filling for 'good measure'), but I'm going to call my sister (Mom, passed away years ago), if I don't find it.
proxy.php

Other than that...I love the taste (and yes...besides being pricey...I can eat it right out of the jar), of this brand by Borden;

proxy.php
proxy.php

Now I love it served with brandy cream (I fold a little sugar and brandy gently into fresh whipped heavy cream)! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"Mince[meat] pie may have lost its meat, and its other ingredients may now be freely available all year round, but it has not lost its association with Christmas [...]. Janet Clarkson, Pie: A Global History

Wonderful post. Yes, mincemeat once had meat, long before I was alive. The fruits and spices were considered a way to better preserve them. It turned into a seasonal treat thereafter. And by our time, the meat was mainly gone, except in the rare homemade varieties. You enjoyed yours the really old way.

Did you know that October 26 is National Mincemeat Day? Go figure.

Some interesting mincemeat history, right here:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Mince pies are one of those things that I would love to be able to read about how a recipe was handed down and how it changed through generations, and geographic locations. I'd like to know how it went from savory to a dessert. When did it stop having meat?

I used to work at Marie Callenders. There was a Mince Pie on the menu. It was some sort of raisin and other stuff thing. We sold A LOT of pies, especially during the holidays. In that time we'd make two or four. 50% of those wound up in the garbage.

I believe it is one of those dishes that has simply gone by the wayside due to lack of demand/popularity.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I used to work at Marie Callenders. There was a Mince Pie on the menu. It was some sort of raisin and other stuff thing. We sold A LOT of pies, especially during the holidays. In that time we'd make two or four. 50% of those wound up in the garbage.

I always find that very sad, when restaurants throw out perfectly good food, and there are usually people going hungry somewhere not far away. I know all the reasons why. But it seems a terrible waste that deserves a better workaround. All the effort to grow, process and prepare it just so. And then vermin and birds get a dumpster feast.

Old Hippie

I was reminiscing with Mrs. Hippie the other night, recalling how one of my main backcountry camping staples was a couple boxes of Nonesuch Condensed Mincemeat. "Near as darnit" to pemmican, if I was hungry enough one box could keep me going for an entire day. Drink lots of water if you do that, though. :)

O.H.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My Dad loved mince meat pie and I did too. He said his grandma made it with rabbit meat. Probably made it from home raised bunnies, as this would have been before 1900 and they were farmers.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I was reminiscing with Mrs. Hippie the other night, recalling how one of my main backcountry camping staples was a couple boxes of Nonesuch Condensed Mincemeat. "Near as darnit" to pemmican, if I was hungry enough one box could keep me going for an entire day. Drink lots of water if you do that, though. :)

O.H.

I had read a while back that that condensed mincemeat had been discontinued, too.

As long as they don't discontinue apples and raisons, I guess there is still hope for the marketplace.

YES!!!! I LOVE mincemeat tarts! I barely remember way back when my mom making a mincemeat pie before she switched to making it as a tart - in a shallow sided cookie sheet. She would drizzle a simple confectioner's sugar and milk glaze on top (as if it wasn't sweet enough!). As a tart the proportions of sweet filling to crust is much, much better than what I would imagine a pie would be. I have a dried cube of Nonesuch in the cupboard right now waiting for me to be motivated enough to make it. Problem is that I'll be the only one to eat it. My family is put off by the idea of meat being in it. Nevermind that for all intents and purposes there isn't any. You certainly wouldn't know it.

Years ago we visited Plymouth, and at a kiosk near the Mayflower II a young girl in period costume was selling "peasecods" which were essentially little cookie sized folded over tarts with mincemeat filling. I have no idea if they were authentic or not. Quite nice though.

Old Hippie

I remember a woman my dad worked with gave us a jar of venison mincemeat once. I don't recall that it was all that special, but I do remember that it had pie cherries in it and I discovered I really liked that. Now when I make mince pie there's always some extra pie cherries that go in along with the mince.

And usually serve it with rum sauce, a habit I picked up from mom.

O.H.

FarmerTan

@Hercule and @Columbo : I will have to be extra nice before Santa fires up his sled and see if the lovely War Department will try making me some "fold over mincemeat tarts"..... Have never even heard of these, and it sounds delicious.

We have a friend who gave us some green tomato mince meat years ago.... Beautiful Bride made my Dad a pie as well as yours truly. Surprisingly good. I'll have to see if her friend has made anymore?

She makes delicious wine from Concord grapes as well! Lol, we pick our friends wisely, even if I can't get my Baptist Bride to try the wine straight. She has had a little with 7up but wasn't impressed!

I say fold over because that's the only way i could thing to describe them. Cut a largish circle of pie crust with a drinking glass, put a dollop of mincemeat in the middle and fold it over and bake. Just like a chinese dumpling or pierogi. It needn't be enormous, just big enough for a treat. I've never made them so please report back on your efforts.

Tarts were a highlight of my childhood. Mom would make them out of the crust trimmings when she made a pie. But they weren't fold over, just two rounds with jam (preferably raspberry or strawberry) in the middle. A simple x cut on top to vent. Of course we wouldn't wait for them to cool so we more often than not burned our lips and tongues on them. Oh the memories!!

FarmerTan - go for the full sheet tart (ca 11" x 14"). It'll be better, thicker and a good ratio of sweetmess to crust. Plus you can cut your own size to suit your taste. The small tarts are nice and all but only one or two bites.

Mom's pie crust was nice and light and flaky mainly because I think she used Crisco. My grandmother's on the other hand looked leathery and more toward crumbly than flaky. She used lard. When she made apple pies she wouldn't season the apples before she put a top crust on and baked it. When the pie was done and before it was cool, she would take the top crust off (always in one piece of course!), season the apples which were kid of like apple sauce at that point, then put the lid back on. Grandpa liked a nice big piece with a slice or two of cheddar cheese.

Thank you all for evoking such fond memories!

FarmerTan

FarmerTan - go for the full sheet tart (ca 11" x 14"). It'll be better, thicker and a good ratio of sweetmess to crust. Plus you can cut your own size to suit your taste. The small tarts are nice and all but only one or two bites.

Mom's pie crust was nice and light and flaky mainly because I think she used Crisco. My grandmother's on the other hand looked leathery and more toward crumbly than flaky. She used lard. When she made apple pies she wouldn't season the apples before she put a top crust on and baked it. When the pie was done and before it was cool, she would take the top crust off (always in one piece of course!), season the apples which were kid of like apple sauce at that point, then put the lid back on. Grandpa liked a nice big piece with a slice or two of cheddar cheese.

Thank you all for evoking such fond memories!
My dad was German/Irish and he sometimes had a thick slice of cheddar on his apple pie! I have had it this way a time or two.

I've never heard of seasoning the pie after it bakes by removing the top crust. My wife used to bake an apple pie in part? or the whole time? in a paper grocery bag. It had a "crumble" top.

She has probably a dozen apple pie fillings that she froze to fit her pie tins. She will then use a frozen (or fresh) pie crust from my mom's fail proof recipe. It uses lard or Crisco, I have no preference, lol, as I just usually help peel the apples! And that we now do the easy way with an attachment on her kitchen aid.

The apples are from my hillbilly orchard. I would rather eat a worm than poison, so I don't spray them; they are usually just a little pock marked on the surface. No bugs to speak of.

Her pies taste different from pie to pie, lol. No recipe; just seasoned by taste. (Lol, sometimes I would like them sweeter!) Also, we have friends that give us excess produce, we have a great neighborhood.

Thank you for reminding me of my father. He was far from perfect (as am I, his werstest son!) but his heart was always for his family first. We need more men and women like that today!

I remember Mom speaking of my aunt making mincemeat from scratch and that she did put meat in it. I can imagine it certainly. It would probably make the whole mixture a bit heartier in depth of flavor with a bit of umami. But such a mixture of dried fruits would, in my opinion benefit more from some nuts or a shot or six two of bourbon or other such booze.

Old Hippie

Mom's apple pies were lard crust (as was every pie she made) and the apples were dredged in cinnamon, sugar and a little flour before being put in the shell and the lid crimped on. She also liked to have a slice or two of sharp cheddar with it. I had a friend who would take a turkey baster and pump some heavy cream in under the top crust just before taking it out of the oven. It'd make a creamy filling once it cooled. He liked it; I wasn't quite so sure. :) But, hey...pie.

If I have lots of time, I like to macerate the apples in sugar and cinnamon for an hour or so. Then drain the released juice off into a saucepan and reduce it on the stove to about a soft ball stage before putting on top of the apples in the crust. I also like to use grapefruit juice and zest instead of orange; it was originally a Mrs. Hippie response to "we're outta oranges" and we just kept doing it.

And just to be clear, there ain't but four pieces to a pie. Four friends show up for pie, you'd better have two pies.

O.H.

Top Bottom