What's new

Tips n Gratuities

Seem as of late everywhere I go almost that has point of sale register, has installed a TIP JAR. Wife mention Starbucks in local Safeway has one where you order, and one where you pickup.

Tipping is like a surprise bonus the old company paid every employee when we broke sales record, as it was team effort that got job done, not just salesmen.

Triditionally you Tipped Taxi Driver, Shoe Shine Guy, Waiter, Waitress, maybe Barber but not every Tom, Dick n Harry. Also the Tip was reward for great service.

Maybe I am wrong but the whole tipping thing is out of control. Old Dermotoligish was retiring from VA, nice lady, I gave her a bad containing hand made flowrer arrangement. Told her it was her retirement,et present, she said thumb was not green, so she had flower that did not need care. Told her were good, your leaving, and I know VA Policy no gift to staff over $10.00.

I've noticed card readers are also doing this in ridiculous scenarios. For example, I was recently given the opportunity to provide a tip for a purchase I made inside a Subway restaurant. I'm sorry...but no. I try to really think "is this a scenario I would typically tip someone" before I choose to leave one.

I tip at restaurants and only for decent service. I tip more for exceptional service. I do not tip at hotels. I don't want my room cleaned and the staff is paid regular wages. If they want to make a better salary they need to gain marketable skills. I will tip for some food pickup, such when I get sushi. It takes talent to make good sushi. However, I generally only tip 10% for higher end pickup. I do tip at my buffalo wings place, but that is because I am friends with the owner.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Coming from a country where tipping is not common, or the amounts are much less. Gratuity is included in the price, and one would round up a bill; for example your bill is 37.50, and the service was good, you would round up to 40.
When I got here to the USA, I really had to learn to tip. Now, service is good, I give 20% based on the pre-tax amount (do not tip on taxes...). If not, then the tip goes down. Had a couple of cases where we left just a buck on the table, but in all these cases service was very bad.
I also do not tip on these tip jars one sees popping up more and more.

I use to drop notes Tip Jars, get job skill, if you want to make more money.

Or card that was friends, he was military recruiter.
Well, that's super rude and uncalled for. Many of the workers are young, single parents, immigrants and trying to get back in their feet. Some are even military veterans with limited skills and education.

As a parent of someone who works in a fast-food chain, this is highly offensive. He doesn't need more skill, he needs a break and is working to pay for university, where he received a scholarship for a 98% overall grade 12 marks.

Leaving no tip is one thing, leaving a snarky remark or business card is another. The tip jars are likely corporate mandated and not the workers choice.

@Space_Cadet Mr Pink scene diner scene. I can't link it due to language, but it's a classic.

Last edited:
Good service still gets tipped. As for the rest, I just ignore it. No need to create or engage in a squabble over what is essentially a non-issue. Life's too short to worry about minor stuff like this.

Reminds me of that great movie - "Reservoir Dogs" when they all start a huge argument whether to tip the waitress.
I, personally, don't understand the new fashion to tip everywhere.

I had to rewatch Reservoir Dogs several times
before I realized
that I had Not slept through the robbery scene.

Well, that's super rude and uncalled for. Many of the workers are young, single parents, immigrants and trying to get back in their feet. Some are even military veterans with limited skills and education.

As a parent of someone who works in a fast-food chain, this is highly offensive. He doesn't need more skill, he needs a break and is working to pay for university, where he received a scholarship for a 98% overall grade 12 marks.

Leaving no tip is one thing, leaving a snarky remark or business card is another. The tip jars are likely corporate mandated and not the workers choice.

@Space_Cadet Mr Pink scene diner scene. I can't link it due to language, but it's a classic.

Well here is the deal minimum wage jobs are starting point to lean basic job skills.

Know where I live there are many jobs paying $24.00 to start. Detention Officer in jail is one.

Skilled trades are crying for apprentices, and the pay back is good career.

But negative is you got to work hard, many young people are lazy.

So the lazy one always have excuses.

Friend son did four years in military, he did logistics. Now he is doing same job in private sector, and getting paid well.

Funny thing is News reported over 70% of people who are in age group don’t qualify.

Obesity, drug disease, or mental problem. That is sad.

People with job skills do make better money, but effort is needed.

I was self employed 30 years, first three month in business, I did nothing but knock doors looking for work.

Finally my phone started ringing. Then I was busy, most successful people work more 40 hour a week. Most weeks I was lucky if I only do 60 hours, 70 or more was norm.

If you live in USA, there is opportunity not available other places.

Last edited:
I've heard the rule of thumb is to tip when the service is personalized, and that has a logic to it that I like.

I bought a knife from Bernal Cutlery's website a while back and they asked for a tip at checkout. Just to be clear, there was zero interaction between any employee and me. I knew what knife I wanted, found it on their site, and bought it.

I haven't bought from them since.

We go to little Italian Restaurant in PHX, they do not have "servers", staff is called waiters, and waitresses. When you seated they come bring you menu, go over specials, and they leave for few minutes. When they return they alway ask if you have question about items on menus or special. They know everything and hoe it is prepared. They treat you like royalty, and prices are like $5.00 more for most items than Olive Garden. Yes I tip well because everything is great, and service is super. This place is old school, even white table cloths.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't eat out much, but the last time I had breakfast at a local restaurant I left the waitress two dollars on a five dollar order under the plate. She had came and checked on me several times even though they were crazy busy at that time...they had people standing for several minutes waiting on seating to come open.

But tipping expectations are getting way out of hand. It used to be 10%, then went to 15%, then 20% and some places a 25% tip is expected across the board. NO! Pretty soon they are going to expect a 150% tip. STOP! Or you will get nothing.

The thing that pushed me over the edge was when I had breakfast at a Denny's in Ft. Worth. When I went to pay I asked the cashier for change for a five so I could tip the waitress. She said it's on the screen and swung the screen around that had the option of tipping 15%, 20%, or 25%. You don't know if the tip is going to the one that waited on you, gets split among all employees, or it goes to corporate. Not gonna happen...I'll decide who gets tipped and how much.

It is getting WAY out of hand. Generous tips are being DEMANDED. NO!

I'll tip locally because they don't do than kind of crap here. If they do start doing that here I'm leaving a penny in the water glass.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
DesertIquana:
Depends how good my service is/was (usually at least 10%).
1689471003726.png

$Hotel.jpg Although we have stayed at many hotels in our travels (from "We'll leave the lights on" to 5 star elegance), do you leave a tip for the hotel maid
proxy.php

I know how hard they work (years ago, I did 'stint' in Housekeeping
proxy.php
during my apprenticeship with Hilton Hotels), so I always leave a tip @ $5.00US per day (overseas...the same in regard to the Exchange Rate). :thumbsup:

$Tips.jpg "Good service should make you feel tip-sy". CBJ

In most places in Asia 10% service charge is added to all restaurant bills so tipping is not usual here. It does bug me that the menu will advertise net so that the $10 whatever ends up at $11.88 with service plus sales tax (charged on the service charge)!

Well I worked in restaurants is High School, and while going to Tech School. Washed dishes, bussed tables, worked in kitchen, worked at several fast food joints. Never expected a tip, when I took job I understood the pay, if you could eat for free, and how much food was ok to eat.

Did work at one Mexican restaurant that was busy, I bussed tables, filled water, and setup table between customers. One in awhile if super bust the one waitress, would hand me a buck or two for helping. Nothing was expected, it was like a bonus for busting butt on busy night.

One of my friend is DPS Trooper told him an idea to help the Trooper patrol in super warm, or super hot months. Tip container attached to their Ticketbooks. So if they did good job writing citation, educating about violation, maybe the offending motorist shot Tip the Trooper for above average experience.

Last edited:
On the flip side, I recently tried tipping a flight attendant that went out of her way to take care of me and my family on a flight and she refused.
Might have been against Airline Policy. Know when I did Law Dog thing two years, we were not allowed to take restaurant discounts, free meals, free coffee, nothing. Only Freebee was ride City Bus if you chose too. We could take discounts from advertiser is our Association NewsLetter, if they advertised discounts.

Top Bottom