What's new

Timeless Stainless Razors

you fellas have given me an idea.. want to test out this lighter handle theory and just chucked on my rockwell 6C handle onto my stainless timeless 0.95 SB.. looking forward to tomorrows shave :)

Be careful with the Rockwell 6C handle. It's supposed to be 10-32 which is a narrower thread than M5, though I don't know what it actually is when it comes off the Chinese production line. If it grabs al all on a M5 head, don't force it. The 6C is zamak and a softer metal. The thread on my 6C handle went, and it just went round and round. The thread on the top cap seemed OK, though it might not last.

Be careful with the Rockwell 6C handle. It's supposed to be 10-32 which is a narrower thread than M5, though I don't know what it actually is when it comes off the Chinese production line. If it grabs al all on a M5 head, don't force it. The 6C is zamak and a softer metal. The thread on my 6C handle went, and it just went round and round. The thread on the top cap seemed OK, though it might not last.

ooops! didnt see this till just now, and had the shave already..

not sure of the thread sizes but the rockwell handle didnt grab at all, screwed straight on with ease. Just had a shave with it and replaced the handles back, the rockwell handle went straight back onto the base with no issues and grabbed just fine.. lucky, i would of been spewing if i screwed it!!! pun intended :)

as for the shave.. made no real difference to the end result, just felt lighter and cheaper in my hand IMHO.. still had a great shave

i love this timeless.. just not sure which baseplate to get.. my dilemma is this, i love shaving daily but when i first got the 0.95 SB i found it was too much for a daily shaver and was ready to get the 0.68 OC.

i found as my technique improves (mainly pressure) i get much less irritation and the 0.95 SB give me a fantastic close shave. I can now shave every day but by the end of the week im a little raw, no bad burn or anything just a little tender.

I am now thinking i just need to keep going with this to get used to it and maybe i can step up to a 0.95OC. I feel that if i go for the 0.68 OC it will be too mild. Mind you i get a nice shave from plates 5 & 6 on the rockwell 6C.

Not really sure what to do, my facial hair is dark, coarse and grows quite fast. Skin is not overly sensitive i would say 'normal'.

What do you guys suggest i do? go the 0.95 OC or the 0.68 OC?

ooops! didnt see this till just now, and had the shave already..

not sure of the thread sizes but the rockwell handle didnt grab at all, screwed straight on with ease. Just had a shave with it and replaced the handles back, the rockwell handle went straight back onto the base with no issues and grabbed just fine.. lucky, i would of been spewing if i screwed it!!! pun intended :)

as for the shave.. made no real difference to the end result, just felt lighter and cheaper in my hand IMHO.. still had a great shave

i love this timeless.. just not sure which baseplate to get.. my dilemma is this, i love shaving daily but when i first got the 0.95 SB i found it was too much for a daily shaver and was ready to get the 0.68 OC.

i found as my technique improves (mainly pressure) i get much less irritation and the 0.95 SB give me a fantastic close shave. I can now shave every day but by the end of the week im a little raw, no bad burn or anything just a little tender.

I am now thinking i just need to keep going with this to get used to it and maybe i can step up to a 0.95OC. I feel that if i go for the 0.68 OC it will be too mild. Mind you i get a nice shave from plates 5 & 6 on the rockwell 6C.

Not really sure what to do, my facial hair is dark, coarse and grows quite fast. Skin is not overly sensitive i would say 'normal'.

What do you guys suggest i do? go the 0.95 OC or the 0.68 OC?
Every person is different, but I wound up with a 68 SC, a 68 OC, a 95 SB, and a 95 OC. Over time, I quit using the 68 plates altogether, with the 95 SB as a daily driver.

Fast forward another year, and I now only have the 95 OC, and it's a daily driver. I use it almost exclusively, unless I want to use one of my vintage razors. If you are already comfortable with the 95 SB, I would suggest that you try the 95 OC, it's what wound up working best for me.

I had the .95 OC and it was just a touch too mild for me. Bought a Bronze OC .78 instead and like it a lot better. More blade feel and it cuts closer. It's smooth enough with a Gillette Silver Blue. No pressure and shave carefully and take your time. For me that's an easy BBS with no irritation. Took a little time to get there - you need to develop your technique but it's not rocket science, more a question of feel.

thanks guys.. yeah i am thinking the same.. will try the 0.95 OC soon as i get some funds for it and if technique improves and need more blade fill will try the bronze.. when you guys talk about technique, what angle do you use?

not sure on terminology but do you have the handle closer to the face, further away or a 45 angle?

thanks guys.. yeah i am thinking the same.. will try the 0.95 OC soon as i get some funds for it and if technique improves and need more blade fill will try the bronze.. when you guys talk about technique, what angle do you use?

not sure on terminology but do you have the handle closer to the face, further away or a 45 angle?
With a Timeless I generally tend to use a steeper angle than with most other razors, or handle closer to my face.

With the OC 95, though, I tend to go more towards a neutral angle or even use a shallow angle (handle farther from face) depending upon the blade I'm using.

If you don't mind a little blade-feel, I suggest trying the 95 OC with a KAI blade for a few shaves. The extra blade-reveal is a good tool for finding the right basic angle that works best for you. Once you have figured out which works best for you, then you can try other blades to find your favorite.

Polsilver, Feather and Kai all work very well for me. Most Gillette blades are good too, but it's a matter of personal preference. If forced to pick just one blade, I'd probably pick Kai.

2 uses with a TI SB .95 I think I'm beginning to see what you guys were talking about. Smooth face feel, but it's taking me more buffing than with the SS Scalloped .95. Seems like on some neck chin areas the softness is helping ATG or close to ATG, without much irritation, for me. It's a different feel.

2 uses with a TI SB .95 I think I'm beginning to see what you guys were talking about. Smooth face feel, but it's taking me more buffing than with the SS Scalloped .95. Seems like on some neck chin areas the softness is helping ATG or close to ATG, without much irritation, for me. It's a different feel.
This is kinda odd as there really should be no difference between the SC and the SB plates. Matt describes the SC as being only aesthetically different and not in shave feel. What angle are you using for both? I use the Ti95SB and use basically a 30-40 degree angle and the buffing is very minimal and no irritation...

This is kinda odd as there really should be no difference between the SC and the SB plates. Matt describes the SC as being only aesthetically different and not in shave feel. What angle are you using for both? I use the Ti95SB and use basically a 30-40 degree angle and the buffing is very minimal and no irritation...
I can appreciate that stainless steel verses the titanium. I don't know any way of precisely measuring the exact angle but, there doesn't appear to be much variation I can do with the angle or just doesn't cut properly. I've got some pretty coarse hair.
Now the stainless steel doesn't take much Buffing .

I think he says that about the top cap, not the base plates. He describes the scalloped as being between the SB and the OC.

This week I'm able to use to a borrowed SS .95 OC/SB plate. The first shave with a one-day beard on the open comb side pretty good and maybe a little more efficient then my scalloped bar. Going against the grain on my neck was like most razors kind of difficult. When I flipped it over to the SB I feel like I lost some of the efficiency, possibly. More shaves to go with it, very cool to get to try things from shaving friends.

Well I just got the 95 in SS and TI also,
Personally I'm getting along with them better than a Karve C,D and E plates. all three of the races are pretty new to me so I'm still sorting through. I've got the Karve out on loan, and borrowed there 95 Dual OC/SB SS.

Top Bottom