What's new

Timeless Razors

I am new to wet shaving and have been asking others on this board for suggestions and help and have been very pleasantly surprised by the response. My question on this thread and, I guess, in general, is that with all the comments about changing plates for a shave to achieve greater aggression or lesser aggression, why wouldn't you just buy a top of the line adjustable? I am sure this is a stupid question to some, but I really am curious why?
Your point is valid adjustable have a place, many historical or vintage available for fair price.

Then you gave modern adjustable under 100.00, that msny people live.

Last you have the high dollar adjustable, that start at 200 bucks plus.

Think if I wanted to try an adjustable, would put want to buy in forum, or hit eBay for a Gillette Slim. Slims advantage is changing aggressiveness on the run, by just turn knob.

Also you can adjust shave with blade switching until you find Grail Blade.

Last you got Shavers like Rockwell with extra heads, so they are ch as ngrable.

I am new to wet shaving and have been asking others on this board for suggestions and help and have been very pleasantly surprised by the response. My question on this thread and, I guess, in general, is that with all the comments about changing plates for a shave to achieve greater aggression or lesser aggression, why wouldn't you just buy a top of the line adjustable? I am sure this is a stupid question to some, but I really am curious why?
I would think most people that have both, .68 and .95 plates, don't use both for the same shave. I they have and use the .68 for everyday shaving and then .95 for when they have multiple days growth...

Because an adjustable can give you an infinite number of shave settings when you might only need 2, and you end up paying a big premium for that. Plus, my favorite razors in terms of performance haven't been adjustable, so if I want to increase the efficiency, my only option is really to get a slightly more agggresive plate (eg the Blackbird).

Because an adjustable can give you an infinite number of shave settings when you might only need 2, and you end up paying a big premium for that. Plus, my favorite razors in terms of performance haven't been adjustable, so if I want to increase the efficiency, my only option is really to get a slightly more agggresive plate (eg the Blackbird).
That makes perfect sense if you are buying less expensive razors. But the example you gave of the Blackbird doesn't fit. It is as expensive as the Ambassador and with extra plates, more expensive. This is not meant as an argument just a point of reference.

I picked up a Timeless 95OC here in the BST, with scalloped cap and barber pole handle, and it's a beauty.

The 95OC plate was more aggressive than I require - it shaved fine but required more attention (and technique) than I had patience for, so I sold the 95OC plate and bought a 68SCL (scalloped) plate. In a word:

Goldilocks

Regarding the Overlander, I had one for a while and found it just OK, nothing special, run-of-the-mill, take it or leave it, and I sold it fairly quickly. Lots of shavers love the Overlander, and it is a well made, beautiful razor but it was just another razor to me. I currently have a Christopher Bradley (B&C plates) and like it better than the Overlander, but it still can't hold a candle to my Timeless 68SCL.

All IMO, of course.

Currently I have a Ti .95 Scalloped that I love. Have been thinking about getting a second base plate to pair it with. Would it make most sense to do a .95 OC, the .68 Scalloped or OC without it being too similar of a shave to the .95 SC

Currently I have a Ti .95 Scalloped that I love. Have been thinking about getting a second base plate to pair it with. Would it make most sense to do a .95 OC, the .68 Scalloped or OC without it being too similar of a shave to the .95 SC
i have the Timeless Ti .95 Scalloped and a .95 OC and need no others. 1- 2 days growth with the SB and 3 or more days with the OC. It's a slightly different feel but not nearly as much as I imagined.

No razor is worth $300
Worth is individual thing, honestly the point I might agree with you on is, that a Vintage Gillette shaves well. Do you need Super Razor NO, should you buy Super Razor? Personal Choice.

Love watching Tube Shaver Reviews, many times a reviewer will say this Brand is not worth price, it's not special to that GUY. Their opinion.

Well I love exotic high dollar cars, I do not own is Insurance & Maintenance Cost. Simple Oil Change, and basic maintenance in Ferrari, 2-3K MIN.

High Dollar Razor is cheaper, and funny thing is the BLADE that does cutting is CHEAP, same blade as in my Vintage Razor in some cases.

A very enjoyable shave with the Ti .68. In terms of value within the luxury razor division and the options that are present, Timeless is one of the best if not the best in its class. I’m not going to dump on any particular razor brand or manufacturer because in reality there are a few makers that produce some incredible razor hardware where any shave individual can champion their personal grail razor. From Blackland, ATT (now defunct), Carbon, H&S, Rocnel, Atelier Durdan, Chiseled Face, Razor Emporium and a few others that I’ve failed to mention can all provide pride of ownership with superb performance attributes to back the price tag without batting an eye. Do we need high end luxury/exotic/performance gear to attain the highest level of shave acumen and results. Absolutely not as one can choose from a myriad of paths from economical vintage razors, modern creations that are extremely affordable (Razorock for example) and the cheap disposable throwaways that will more than suffice any shavers particular needs, though they may not be environmentally sound. Point is, one has no excuse in obtaining a decent shave.

However, though perhaps to the chagrin of those that hail their particular razor to be the best ever, I can not in earnest argue against their individual experience on how they determined that conclusion to be so. It just happens to be the best razor for them individually, nothing more, nothing less. Furthermore, the thread is based solely on Timeless Razors and their many creations with countless options and alloys for one to mix & match to their hearts content. Personally, the Ti version is my favorite set up for a 3 piece DE in contemporary times and of the Timeless brand. Workmanship is second to none with a feel that exudes quality, ease of use and top notch whisker cutting performance.

As a daily no thought shaver, the Ti .68 is tough to beat imho.

E612A411-1927-4B58-BE23-2CEE6E96907A.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Because of @LRod /Larry's recommendation, I have a Timeless Bronze 0.38 bronze on the way. It gets here Thursday, if the UP tracking is accurate. I enjoy the look of bronze razors. It's nice mixing them in with Stainless Steet razor heads, along with the many Timeless Ti Crown handles I use.

No razor is worth $300

You observation is how you value Razors. I get what you’re saying. Many Vintages can be had under 35-50 bucks. Those old dogs Razors shave well.

Fellow gifted me a Padron 1964 Series Cigar yesterday. Like I said it was gifted, retail over $20.00 +, will I smoke it? Yes, and will enjoy. Personally I don’t spent that kind of money on single cigar.

Young man I know use to work at Upscale Cigar Shop in Scottsdale/Paridise Valley area of Arizona. They carried the Davidoff Oro’s. Sold em by box of 10 to people with more money then B_____’s, $5,000.00 for box of 10.

Nice thing about $300.00 up Razor it will last longer than big buck Cigar. Plus year from now, after many shaves, it worth more then Smoked Cigar Butt & Pile of Ash.🫠

A very enjoyable shave with the Ti .68. In terms of value within the luxury razor division and the options that are present, Timeless is one of the best if not the best in its class. I’m not going to dump on any particular razor brand or manufacturer because in reality there are a few makers that produce some incredible razor hardware where any shave individual can champion their personal grail razor. From Blackland, ATT (now defunct), Carbon, H&S, Rocnel, Atelier Durdan, Chiseled Face, Razor Emporium and a few others that I’ve failed to mention can all provide pride of ownership with superb performance attributes to back the price tag without batting an eye. Do we need high end luxury/exotic/performance gear to attain the highest level of shave acumen and results. Absolutely not as one can choose from a myriad of paths from economical vintage razors, modern creations that are extremely affordable (Razorock for example) and the cheap disposable throwaways that will more than suffice any shavers particular needs, though they may not be environmentally sound. Point is, one has no excuse in obtaining a decent shave.

However, though perhaps to the chagrin of those that hail their particular razor to be the best ever, I can not in earnest argue against their individual experience on how they determined that conclusion to be so. It just happens to be the best razor for them individually, nothing more, nothing less. Furthermore, the thread is based solely on Timeless Razors and their many creations with countless options and alloys for one to mix & match to their hearts content. Personally, the Ti version is my favorite set up for a 3 piece DE in contemporary times and of the Timeless brand. Workmanship is second to none with a feel that exudes quality, ease of use and top notch whisker cutting performance.

View attachment 1669521
I have a polished stainless.68 open comb with the dimpled handle on order.
Looking forward to it!

View attachment 1669521
Like your set up, it MATT FINISH if I am right???

Top Bottom