What's new

Timeless Razors

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been looking at these Timeless recently. I'm quite interested in one but as yet undecided. I'd been looking at Tatara razors also. So I'll likely either go for one of those or a Timeless.

If buying here from UK there's a store Slickboys that stock them. You can get bronze, stainless steel or titanium.. they had matte versions of the stainless and titanium but those are sold out so at present they just have the polished ones now.

Is there any pros or cons with each of these or is it mostly down to personal preference? Bronze is least expensive at £185, then SS at £275 then Titanium at £325. I've no experience with bronze or titanium razors.. although the lower price of the bronze is appealing I'd probably be inclined to opt for stainless but if Titanium is better and only £50 more..

From what I gather, all on that site are the 0.95 mm gap and scalloped top and base plate.. I saw the US site where you could select your own options but I'm guessing for the pre-made ones for Slickboys store they opted for the most common, all rounder options. This would probably have been my choices anyways.. I may have went with the 0.68mm though as I tend to like a less aggressive razor.

There's also a much more inexpensive one made from aluminium. I think it may be different however.

Many thanks in advance. 🙂
If I were you, I'd do a couple things... read through this thread.... try to decide what you might want.. then contact Slickboys and ask them, if they don't carry the one you'd like, if they could special order it for you when they place their next order.

I have quite a few Timeless Ti Crown handles and use them on my top razors that lend themselves to that design. The titanium cuts off around an ounce from the OEM handles and tilts the balance a bit more toward the razor head instead of toward the handle. This is personal preference, to be sure.

I also have a matte Ti 0.68OC that I just love, as well as the Bronze 0.38. The efficiency of the two of them is closer than you'd imagine, given the differences in their gaps. There are many guys here who have the 0.68OC and the 0.95 gap heads in both SS and Titanium... with all three base plates they offer: solid bar, scalloped bar and open comb. Same with the scalloped top cap. The top cap design, according to Timeless, doesn't matter much in the performance but the base plates effect the efficiency quite a bit: both the gaps and the base plate choices matter more.

I hope I didn't muddy the water too much. There are others here with far more experience with the various Timeless offerings than I have. That's why I would suggest reading this thread from the beginning, to help you narrow down what you might enjoy.

After looking around and seeing some pictures, I have to say I really like the look (and price!) of the Timeless Bronze. I'll do some more research on it but I could definitely see myself going for this one. I think it may be a different razor to the higher priced stainless and titanium ones.. I noticed some of the specifics are quite different.

Maybe someone with experience could tell me.. how is bronze for a razor anyways? Is the Timeless bronze just bare as in non lacquered or anything? And would it require a lot of cleaning or polishing to keep it nice? How is bronze in the long run compared to say stainless? I'm kind of keen on the bronze.. but I just wonder how long it be for longevity and how it would retain the look!

If I were you, I'd do a couple things... read through this thread.... try to decide what you might want.. then contact Slickboys and ask them, if they don't carry the one you'd like, if they could special order it for you when they place their next order.

I have quite a few Timeless Ti Crown handles and use them on my top razors that lend themselves to that design. The titanium cuts off around an ounce from the OEM handles and tilts the balance a bit more toward the razor head instead of toward the handle. This is personal preference, to be sure.

I also have a matte Ti 0.68OC that I just love, as well as the Bronze 0.38. The efficiency of the two of them is closer than you'd imagine, given the differences in their gaps. There are many guys here who have the 0.68OC and the 0.95 gap heads in both SS and Titanium... with all three base plates they offer: solid bar, scalloped bar and open comb. Same with the scalloped top cap. The top cap design, according to Timeless, doesn't matter much in the performance but the base plates effect the efficiency quite a bit: both the gaps and the base plate choices matter more.

I hope I didn't muddy the water too much. There are others here with far more experience with the various Timeless offerings than I have. That's why I would suggest reading this thread from the beginning, to help you narrow down what you might enjoy.

No not at all! Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

I'm really keen on the Bronze one, scalloped top, solid bar. From what I gather it is quite heavy. I like that. Also, the 0.38 gap opposed to the 0.68 and 0.95.. wouldn't that indicate it'd be more on the milder side? I typically like milder razors like the R89 and the AS-D2. So if that is the case, it may be suitable for me.

But I'll have another read through the thread and have another think about it! I'll hope maybe someone can share some about bronze in particular. But at present it seems to be the one that interests me most.

Once again, thanks very much for the help!

Best wishes,

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For me... and as we are reminded here quite often... YMMV... the Bronze 0.38 and the Titanium 0.68OC shave very much the same, though I didn't expect them to provide such similar shaves. I would consider both of them in the mild to medium range. I haven't used the R89 or the AS-D2, but from what I've read, those two would be more mild than either of the Timeless razors...I don't think they are a huge step up but perhaps a half a step up in efficiency.

Edit: I think others will be chiming in soon... to add their perspectives. This group of people here are so helpful.

@BelfastBlade

The Bronze Timeless is a different design from the Stainless and Titanium versions. That being said, the .38 Bronze SB and the .68 SS or Ti SB shave almost identical from what has been reviewed in the past. I previously had a Ti95DC and found it to not be that aggressive a razor at all but have never tried the .68 or the .38 Bronze so I can't give you a personal perspective of them. There are a few threads in the DE forum on both razors and you could make an informed decision from them...

I have both an SS .68OC and my much loved Bronze with both plates. The Bronze .38SB is close to the .68 in efficiency. The Bronze is one of my favorites. I give mine a bit of a polish when I put it away and that seems to work for me. If you want to keep it all shiny then more effort is involved.
20230626_074644.jpg

Potentially the scalloped top cap would produce less friction on the face... so maybe feel a little smoother, especially for people who tend to ride the cap?

I've come to believe that that open comb base plate combined with the scalloped top cap act kind of like a SLOC (self lubricating open comb) razor. While I know it isn't the recommended best practice, I do sometimes go over the same spot twice without re-lathering and the Timeless oc combined with scalloped top cap results in no irritation or other problems when I do so.

With that said, I still think the Timeless oc design is smoother than the sb or scalloped base plates even on the first stroke . When I use the sb I'm much more careful not to do a second stroke without re-lathering and yet I also notice more instances of discomfort with the sb base plate. Sometimes it's just a little tug on a whisker, or maybe an unexpected nick. Or maybe the shave wasn't as close as I was expecting or maybe it was close but I had a little irritation afterwards.

For whatever reason the Timeless oc razors with scalloped top cap are just easier to use for me. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I don't have any new razors on my radar..... but I am wondering about adding the 0.95OC Ti base plate to my Timeless 0.68OC Ti Crown handle razor.... Any thoughts?

I should say... I'm not an everyday shaver, for the most part. I'm getting great shaves with the 0.68OC base plate, so there is that. What would the 0.95OC give me that I'm not getting now? I'd say... 12 hour or so shaves with the Ti... and probably 10 hour shaves or a tad more with the Timeless Bronze 0.38 razor.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm a bit late to this but for me the .95 gives a closer shave while also having a greater chance of causing irritation of one sort or another. I really have to pay attention to what I'm doing with the .95. But if I do my part and focus, it rewards me with a closer shave than the .68, especially in my trouble areas.

That said, it's not like the .68 is a slouch. I can shave at night with it and still appear clean shaven for 18 hours. I know that depends on our own growth rates but I'm only pointing out that just about anyone could shave daily with the .68 and still get great results.

But based on my experience there is no doubt the .95 provides a closer shave while also having a greater chance of irritation. It's kind of up to you what you prefer; a close easy shave that you do every day, or a very close shave that requires concentration and you can wait longer to shave again if you choose.

Last edited:
@BelfastBlade

As others have mentioned, the bronze razors are a different design from the stainless steel and titanium razors, so you can't really compare blade gap between the bronze and SS/Ti. I haven't used the bronze so I can't help in comparing the .38 bronze to the .68 and .95 Ti but there are definitely many threads here that will.

For maintenance, the bronze will require the most work to keep it looking new. I don't have any bronze razors but I'd guess that you would need to break out some polish every now and then to keep it shiny. The SS would require much less effort to keep it looking new and the titanium would require almost no effort. Just scrub it with a spare tooth brush every couple weeks or so.

Good luck with your decision and I'd agree with @Phoenixkh that if the vendor you're purchasing from doesn't have exactly what you want to ask if they can special order that razor with their next bulk purchase.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
(...)
For whatever reason the Timeless oc razors with scalloped top cap are just easier to use for me. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it 🤷‍♂️
Nope, you are not alone. I always tell people to get the OC and the scalloped cap. I also noticed benefits of a scalloped cap for DSCosmetic's Game Changer .84 SB head clone, but there the baseplate might also be slightly different. So I tried the scalloped cap from DSCosmetic on a regular Game Changer. It does make quite a difference!

Funnily, I didn't really notice that effect when using the Yaqi Mellon, a Razorock SLOC copy. But I like that razor as well.

I've been looking at these Timeless recently. I'm quite interested in one but as yet undecided. I'd been looking at Tatara razors also. So I'll likely either go for one of those or a Timeless.

If buying here from UK there's a store Slickboys that stock them. You can get bronze, stainless steel or titanium.. they had matte versions of the stainless and titanium but those are sold out so at present they just have the polished ones now.

Is there any pros or cons with each of these or is it mostly down to personal preference? Bronze is least expensive at £185, then SS at £275 then Titanium at £325. I've no experience with bronze or titanium razors.. although the lower price of the bronze is appealing I'd probably be inclined to opt for stainless but if Titanium is better and only £50 more..

From what I gather, all on that site are the 0.95 mm gap and scalloped top and base plate.. I saw the US site where you could select your own options but I'm guessing for the pre-made ones for Slickboys store they opted for the most common, all rounder options. This would probably have been my choices anyways.. I may have went with the 0.68mm though as I tend to like a less aggressive razor.

There's also a much more inexpensive one made from aluminium. I think it may be different however.

Many thanks in advance. 🙂

Once you know which one you want to go for, there is also the option to purchase from Maggard Razors in US.
They have a good stock on their website of Timeless razors, various baseplates, etc, shipping to UK is quite decent (especially if you’re not in a hurry and go for the economy/ cheapest option), and it’s pretty unlikely you’ll get hit with customs fees.

Last edited:
I haven’t touched the Timeless Slim in some time so, fresh Minora with some suds by Art of Shaving Bourbon and a wonderful 3 pass shave to leave my face & neck free of whiskers without the slightest hint of irritation or weepers. The Slim .5 is not for everyone as some consider it too aggressive and others consider it to be efficient but, not very smooth or easy on the skin with a rare few declaring it to be too mild. What can you say or do to those that can’t get it to work for them? Nothing as it just didn’t pan out for them and the YMMV rule stands tall in this instance. I fortunately, have been lucky enough to benefit from this great razor as it runs through whiskers with ease, efficiency and total comfort. Easy to maneuver and works well in tight spots though, I can’t say with certainty that it will be marvelous under the schnoze zone but, I think it will. Plus, one has a free hand to move the beak if it is required.

I’ve always considered Timeless to be The Gatekeeper in modern or should I say, contemporary artisan made premium alloy razors available today. Is it the most luxurious or does it define the epitomy of luxury in wet shave tools? For some yes and others no. There are a few that would consider it below the likes of Wolfman or the new Tedalus in finish plus a few others such as H&S, Blackland & Carbon. It is what it is and arguing the merits of said razors vs the Timeless stable is fruitless & inconsequential. They all give wonderful shaves sans the Tedalus Velocity One as I’ve never nor intend to shave with one (a man has to know his limitations) and can’t speak of it on its performance and shave value that it brings to the table.

From soup to nuts, I consider the Timeless razors to be the standard in premium offerings. I no longer own their bronze or stainless offerings (except for the Slim .5 which is in stainless steel) but, I own and consider the Ti line the best in their stable and arguably the best of the Ti made razors today as it does everything a man could ask for in shave performance while adding pride of ownership of a product that is made to exacting tolerances of the highest standards. For me it ticks all the boxes and does everything that I could want in a premium razor.

Great shaves to all…

CD8863D7-3CFF-481A-B9CF-459C2834F1C1.jpeg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
This seems to be the DSCosmetic Destroyer handle. It fits nicely! :a54:

I put the 100mm Barberpole on my Slim OC. The Ti Crown is always nice, but I like the size and length of the Barberpole. Emphasis on pole. This reminds me, I always wanted to get some more Timeless handles. But I recently figured out that I must have misplaced my razor handle box. I still haven't found it again. :confused1

The personal results vary so much with razors. Personally, the bronze .38 was brutally efficient and blood letting for me as was the Slim. I still have the .95 and .68 OC’s and I don’t find much difference between them. With a few days growth, they rock when careful. I used the .68 this morning after 22 hours of growth and it was a great shave although certainly not a brainless and meditative shave.

My daily zen happy place belongs, still to the Overlander.

This seems to be the DSCosmetic Destroyer handle. It fits nicely! :a54:

I put the 100mm Barberpole on my Slim OC. The Ti Crown is always nice, but I like the size and length of the Barberpole. Emphasis on pole. This reminds me, I always wanted to get some more Timeless handles. But I recently figured out that I must have misplaced my razor handle box. I still haven't found it again. :confused1

Good eye amigo, good eye. And yes, it looks good and balances very nicely.

Happy shaves to you my friend…..:shaving:

I have a .95 Timeless ss scalloped cap and plate, and a .68 ss open comb. I had a slim ss safety bar and a .68 safety bar but got rid of them. I just used the .95 (with a Gillette Silver Blue blade)after a bit of a hiatus. I must say it was extremely smooth and extremely efficient. Probably about as efficient as my blackbird, Yates EH, Tatara Nodachi, Lambda Ares. A unique and different feel which, to me is very special. Smoooooooth with some blade feel. It is funny how one's appreciation of a razor can vary over time. I had been using and digging my very blade forward razors for quite some time. when I threw the Timeless back into the rotation it just blew me away. Yes, it is big and heavy. That's part of the experience.

Top Bottom