What's new

Timeless .95 ss tour pass-around!!

I took my first spin with the kit last night. The fit n finish of the entire kit is top notch. I will post several pics comparing weight and size in relation to my Ikon OSS that I've had for a few years. Hopefully it will help others.

As stated, I've been solely using my Ikon OSS for the past few years. I have the OC/straight bar combo plate and I also picked up their more aggressive double straight bar plate awhile back which I believe that is the B1 standard head. The original OSS plate is pretty tame using the straight bar. The B1 head is way more aggressive and I have to take greater care when using it but it provides a great shave.

For my first shave with the Timeless, I went with the 68 scalloped bar and smooth cap to be cautious instead of jumping right into the 95. I used a fresh Astra blade as that is usually my go to blade. I paired this combo with the Timeless Pineapple handle that I've had for a couple months now. I enjoy the Pineapple handle as it fits my large hand and the indentations line up well with my fingers. When you pair this handle with the Timeless cap and bar, you end up with a hefty razor which I prefer.

The 68 scalloped bar did an OK job for me. I had 4 days of growth on me in preparation for this. I found the 68 to be pretty tame and really didn't have to exercise any caution using it. This morning I can already feel my chin area growing out. I feel that this combo would be good for someone who had to do a quick shave before heading out to a dinner date or such as you can move pretty quickly with this set up without fear of any penalties.

I'm not a daily shaver or even an every other day shaver. I usually go every 3 days so my next shave will be probably be Friday or even Saturday. For the next shave I intend to try out the 95 scalloped bar.

Onto some comparison pics.

First pic is the handle heights of the Pineapple, Ikon OSS, and the Timeless knurled handle. The knurling on the Timeless handle is very good and grippy. I just found it too short for my liking. Also, the weight of the shorter Timeless handle is basically identical to the slightly taller Ikon handle.

The second pic is trying to show the gaps of the 68, 95, and the B1 heads.

Third pic is the setup in my big hand.

The next few are the weights of the setups. The heaviest being with the pineapple handle. The Ikon handle paired with the Timeless bar and cap is the same weight as the Timeless knurled handle pairing.

Attachments

• 20191217_215801.jpg
    20191217_215801.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20191217_220221.jpg
    20191217_220221.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20191217_220523.jpg
    20191217_220523.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20191217_224232.jpg
    20191217_224232.jpg
    791.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20191217_224209.jpg
    20191217_224209.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20191217_224302.jpg
    20191217_224302.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191217_220726.jpg
    20191217_220726.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 28
Just finished my second shave with this kit. Went with the 95 scallop bar with smooth cap. That was a great shave!

While the 95 is more aggressive than the 68, is was very smooth. I feel that the Ikon B1 head I have been using is even more aggressive where I have to watch almost every stroke. The 95 was almost effortless. I exe8some caution at first just because of the jump up but after a few passes, off I went. I think the overall thickness of the cap/bar aid in the smoothness compared to the B1 which is much thinner when assembled.

I believe I see a matte finished 95 scallop base and smooth cap in the near future. I'm going to try to squeeze in one more shave on Tuesday evening before passing it along.

Very nice. You really cant beat the .95. I would recommend the polished cap as I have both polished and matte. The matte seems to grab just a little like a suction cup. YMMV.

Some really good reviews and takes on each individuals take on the Timeless and how it performs differently for everyone. Just an awesome thread. Well done Gents, well done... :thumbup1:

Some really good reviews and takes on each individuals take on the Timeless and how it performs differently for everyone. Just an awesome thread. Well done Gents, well done... [emoji106]1:
Agreed. I am looking forward to trying it out and have appreciated all the reviews so far.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

You are correct. Thanks to P@tsfan6484 for being so generous in the sharing of this awesome kit.

Once again, this board is full of enablers. Ordered the matte stainless 95 scallop base and scallop cap yesterday from the Scratch n dent.

You are correct. Thanks to P@tsfan6484 for being so generous in the sharing of this awesome kit.

Once again, this board is full of enablers. Ordered the matte stainless 95 scallop base and scallop cap yesterday from the Scratch n dent.

Congrats on your new purchase!! Great way to start the new year!!

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Timeless package had arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying out the .95 tomorrow.

Here are the first 15 to sign up.
1 @GlazedBoker ( complete)
2 @dmshaver ( complete)
3 @CarlosAT ( complete)
4 @cgr86 ( complete)
5 @NJDJ ( complete)
6 @steelcity2 ( complete)
7 @bobmsp ( in hand)
8 @ShavePastor ( on deck)
9 @Steve_in_CT ( in the hole)
10 @CJB3
11 @PlutoViola
12 @Tim Meneely
13 @dezmil
14 @SolidSnake03
Starting the reserve list off is
15 @Cut Throat
16 @jbreakfield
17 @Flintstone65
18 @emwolf
19 @gwsmallwood
20 @Badger in the Sun
21 @benos
Looking forward to @bobmsp reviews!!

It definitely was a smooth shaver. As for the stubble, it could be that I didn't have the angle right. It could be operator error for sure. I need more time with the razor.
I have found that my Timeless Titanium 0.68 SB requires a steeper angle than any other razor I use. Once I adjusted the angle I was completely satisfied and use the razor most of the time that I’m not traveling.

Since I “dropped out” of the pass around, I have been using the matte Ti .95 scalloped exclusively, using different blades, soaps, etc. I have yet to have a bad shave that would not be considered BBS, without even trying. I shave twice a week. I had some alum feedback with only one soap, but it was the first time using it, will try again, probably due to the lather I made, not being used to the characteristics of the soap itself.

sm29 mentioned a steeper angle. I will agree with this as I also use a steeper angle with this razor compared to the Rockwell 6S plate 6 I was previously using...........still very comfortable. There are times it feels like I am not using a blade even though I am using one.

All in all, one cannot go wrong with this design. I do not find myself using any more pressure with the Ti than with the 6S, even though the Ti is noticeably lighter. In other words just letting the razor do its job, not ”forcing” it through.

I just realized that I haven't reported back yet about the Timeless.

As background, I'm very familiar with the Timeless 0.68 as I have had an 0.68 SB for about a year and a half. During this time, it's been my most-used razor by far (150x vs. the next - a Schick E injector - at 42x). More recently, though, I've been using more aggressive razors and have recently become a fan of the AC format. So I thought I should check out the 0.95 Timeless.

My first shave with the 0.95 Scalloped was, frankly, not particularly good. I was surprised since I was using one of my favorite blades - a Polsilver SI. No nicks or weepers, but it felt really harsh. I have been using La Toja cream this week, so I thought that perhaps it was the lather.

On Tuesday, my shave was much better with the same setup. I don't know whether it was the soap or just because it was the 2nd shave on the blade, but it was a smooth and comfortable near-BBS shave.

And today, I compared the 0.95 to my Charcoal Goods Level 3 Copper. The Timeless was on the left side and the CG on the right. With two days' growth, both razors felt fairly smooth and comfortable. After the first pass, I thought that the Timeless might have an advantage since the CG had a blade with 6 shaves on it. But after the second pass, both sides felt comparably smooth and basically BBS in almost all places. I used a new (to me) balm - L'Occitane Cade - and once things had dried, I felt as if I'd had a really, really good shave. Four hours later, the CG feels the tiniest bit smoother and I sense a small area of irritation on my left cheek (Timeless side). My guess is, though, that if I traded sides tomorrow the results might be reversed. So I'd say that the shaves were pretty comparable.

More tomorrow.

Bob

Top Bottom