What's new

Think I may need to change my safety razor up, need some advice from the pros

Hi All,
I currently use a Edwin Jagger DE 89L. I have been using it for a while and yes it is a great razor but the handle itself gets very slick at times. I am Able to shave above the neck line great, but below the neck it becomes tricky. I have been using it for about a year now and just need to do something different.
I use a Gillette silver blue blade , with Taylor of bond shave cream, I make sure to lather up very well and wash face prior to shaving.
My question is , is there a razor I need to upgrade too? Or switch it up? My neck just isn't getting the close shave it needs. Is that more of a blade/razor or user issue? Or all the above?

Overall I just want to switch it up and try something different. Thanks for your help.

I was using sharper blades (GSB, Polsilver, Feather) and had log written off Astra SP as not sharp. I tried them again and am love them on my neck. Same shave, no redness. HTH.

Weber makes bull handles with a checkerboard grip. I used one with my DE89, and it felt like a brand new razor.
Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a good idea. I was wondering in your opinion why It makes such a difference? A handle like that is around $35-$40 on amazon which is fine with me but just trying to consider what If I should try that or a new razor all together.

There are plenty of SS handles that have textured grips that cost less than $15. I bought one from Maggards a few months back for $5.

Personally I think the razor is just too mild. I started with an EJ DE86. I used it maybe twice before moving on to a more aggressive razor.

If you aren't looking for something particular, you can find good deals on Gillette adjustable slims and black beauties on eBay. Change agressiveness in the middle of a shave if you want.
I picked up a 1969 Gillete black beauty, in good condition, for about 25 bucks.

If its the handle causing problems then try get a handle from maggard razors, as for shaving the neck its important to map the direction of hair growth, it might not be the same on both sides, also try gently resting 2 fingers closed together on the side of your neck just above your clavicle depending which side your shaving then raise your head up a little then tilt to the side, the skin won't be stretched too much & it won't be too loose this will allow you to attack the hairs more successfully on each pass without going over the same area too many times, don't overstretch the skin & try pre shave oil just for the neck area. Hope that helps, you might not need a new razor, lol but if you want to buy one & you're bored with your current one I would recommended the parker 26c its a open comb but its smooth & medium aggressive also I think that will ease your neck shaving problems.

I have 4 razors I think especially well pick up strange hairs on the neck: Mühle R41 (my most aggressive razor), Shavecraft #102 slant, Shavecraft X3 and PAA Bakelite Slant.

Before jumping on any of those razors, make sure to read plenty of reviews as they are all having their special "personalities". #102 and X3 are extremely mild, but still able to achieve good shaves for me.

This sounds like two separate problems. With me, I find that stainless steel and the heavier modern brass handles make razors too aggressive. You could buy a vintage razor with a better grip and swap handles for a low price. And you might end up liking the vintage razor with the blades you're currently using. It may or may not be technique.

With me, I find that stainless steel and the heavier modern brass handles make razors too aggressive.

:a47: How is that possible?

Whether I use a Bakelite handle or a stainless Steel handle with a Tech head with the same blade, the stroke/passes are the same with the same results. It only feels different in my hand but it doesn't cut any different.

If the handle is the only issue, you can try a Maggard handle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yep. Order the whole razor (v3 head) and experiment around with the 89 head and handle or vice versa. I have a couple of their razors as well as the Muhle version of your razor and although I use the R89 most of the time the Maggard is much more aggressive and I'll use it when I have time to take out of the day or just wanna switch things up. Honestly I won't say that an aggressive razor shaves any better but just different.

Another options is to wipe your fingers on an alum block before you shave. It will help keep the handle from slipping. You should probably try another razor too, just for fun. It's also nice to have a more aggressive razor option for the times when you skip a day or 2 between shaves. I would recommend looking into an open comb razor.

Agree on trying a smoother blade. The GSB in a DE89 is not too smooth for me. Sharp yes, but smooth "meh".

I would suggest the Perma Sharp as a very sharp and very smooth option in the DE89. Alternatively a PolSilver.

If that fails and you really want to try something milder, maybe find a check Gillette Tech. These can go for a handful of bucks.

If is the ability to grip the handle that bothers you, try this: take a 1/4 " rubber band like the post office uses (size 66) and cut it. I then wrap it around the razor handle the the ends tucked in so it stays in place. Leaving some space between the wraps enhances the grip. Been doing this for months now... works well. I remove when done to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Merkur 34C has a similar shaving head but a much more textured handle. I find the balance of a 34C to be great.

The Weber bulldog handle is also great, but as you mentioned its a bit pricey for just the handle. I actually have one that I got when Weber still sold heads, and I find I use the handle on other razors of mine and it improves their use. That may not happen for you, I think it's more about balance and size that feels right to you. I tend to prefer shorter handles with lots of grip.

As another option Razorock and Stirling soap both have several inexpensive razors (less than $20) with good handles that you might try. If you don't love the head you could just put the handle on your current razor and try it.

Hi All,
I currently use a Edwin Jagger DE 89L. I have been using it for a while and yes it is a great razor but the handle itself gets very slick at times. I am Able to shave above the neck line great, but below the neck it becomes tricky. I have been using it for about a year now and just need to do something different.
I use a Gillette silver blue blade , with Taylor of bond shave cream, I make sure to lather up very well and wash face prior to shaving.
My question is , is there a razor I need to upgrade too? Or switch it up? My neck just isn't getting the close shave it needs. Is that more of a blade/razor or user issue? Or all the above?

Overall I just want to switch it up and try something different. Thanks for your help.
PM me and I'll send ya a couple dorco primes. It's what I use and the shave is fantastic in the 89 head.

Top Bottom