What's new

Think I may need to change my safety razor up, need some advice from the pros

Gents,

Keep in mind we are just talking about shaving. We all have different opinions of "best razor" "best blade" "best soap" and so on. We don't all have to agree but we do have to maintain gentlemanly discourse. Let's do our best to uphold the gentlemanly standards we are known for. Enough of the bickering.

Cheers!
Yes, I agree.

Another options is to wipe your fingers on an alum block before you shave. It will help keep the handle from slipping. You should probably try another razor too, just for fun. It's also nice to have a more aggressive razor option for the times when you skip a day or 2 between shaves. I would recommend looking into an open comb razor.
+1

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

I think it's funny, no asked about the OP's beard. That's going to make the biggest impact on what razor works best. If you have light-medium beard and are a daily shaver, it's likely you won't find a measurably better shaver after buying 100 razors compared to the DE89 head...

I like medium to aggressive razors and very sharp blades, but I have heavy course fast growth and fairly sensitive skin. If I had a light or sparse beard, I'd expect an R41 to chew me up and spit me out. But as I am, it's a nice daily driver for me.

If I had it to do over and didn't want to collect razors, I'd buy 1) the pre war tech and 2) a schone, pearl, or fatip. One is pretty aggressive, the other pretty mild. That'll give you a good differential to judge between. Sell the one you don't like. Shouldn't lose any money on the tech if that's the pass.

If is the ability to grip the handle that bothers you, try this: take a 1/4 " rubber band like the post office uses (size 66) and cut it. I then wrap it around the razor handle the the ends tucked in so it stays in place. Leaving some space between the wraps enhances the grip. Been doing this for months now... works well. I remove when done to dry.

I like this one. :)

You might not even need to cut it - perhaps just winding/twirling it around (the way ladies make simple ponytails) would suffice. I have just tried it on a Futur clone I have and it does help quite a bit, even if it's not the prettiest thing to behold.

Shims are good, too.

Virginia Shaving on Aliexpress sells DE89/R89 style heads that are more aggressive (and for me, more efficient too) and are pretty cheap. They have a larger blade gap and it seems to me they bend the blade more then the Edwin Jagger/Muhle design.

I think it's funny, no asked about the OP's beard. That's going to make the biggest impact on what razor works best. If you have light-medium beard and are a daily shaver, it's likely you won't find a measurably better shaver after buying 100 razors compared to the DE89 head...

I like medium to aggressive razors and very sharp blades, but I have heavy course fast growth and fairly sensitive skin. If I had a light or sparse beard, I'd expect an R41 to chew me up and spit me out. But as I am, it's a nice daily driver for me.

Now that's a pretty good point.

If I had it to do over and didn't want to collect razors, I'd buy 1) the pre war tech and 2) a schone, pearl, or fatip. One is pretty aggressive, the other pretty mild. That'll give you a good differential to judge between. Sell the one you don't like. Shouldn't lose any money on the tech if that's the pass.

Good suggestions, too. I'd add the Parker closed comb and open comb heads to the lot. Not really aggressive (although more so than a EJ DE89 head), but very efficient. The 24C has a very nice looking handle. Maggard sells the Parker open comb head as their V2 open comb head, and I believe they give a discount if you buy a head + handle combo.
RazoRock sells the Parker closed comb head as the Slab and Executive Shaving in the UK as the Braveheart head.

I have found both the FaTip Piccolo and the Testine Gentile to be very efficient razors that didn't really feel aggressive to me.

Having said all the above (my previous post in the thread included), I have pulled the trigger on an ixGrip (came to a few pennies short of £32, though) handle myself. It seems to have knurling like a dog's spiked collar. I have been ogling a couple of Windrose handles, but the ones I really like are in the £60-70 range, which is a bit too much at the moment. :p

Facon razors (eBay seller) has a few nice handles for a reasonable amount, too, but the ones that are likely grippy are pretty similar to what Maggard razors and RazoRock have.

Hi All,
I currently use a Edwin Jagger DE 89L. I have been using it for a while and yes it is a great razor but the handle itself gets very slick at times. I am Able to shave above the neck line great, but below the neck it becomes tricky. I have been using it for about a year now and just need to do something different.
I use a Gillette silver blue blade , with Taylor of bond shave cream, I make sure to lather up very well and wash face prior to shaving.
My question is , is there a razor I need to upgrade too? Or switch it up? My neck just isn't getting the close shave it needs. Is that more of a blade/razor or user issue? Or all the above?

Overall I just want to switch it up and try something different. Thanks for your help.

You should be able to get a good shave with that razor. It's not the razor but tecnique. Try it at different angles as the hair there likes to grow a different direction. Skin stretching also helps. If you ever get into straight razors it's a must. If you want a better grip you could get a different razor. But maggards has some great stainless handles for good prices. I have the heaviest one and it's awesome.

That statement is a complete YMMV thing. I happen to think the EJ DE89 is a fantastic razor. It is what I started with and still keep in my rotation.

Agreed.
EJ89 is my favorite razor. I have pre and post war Techs (also good), a 66 Super Speed, and a Slim. My go to that is 99% guaranteed irritation-free, DFS/BBS close shave is my EJ + Astra SP blade. The others I have just for a bit of variety when I feel like it.

Top Bottom