What's new

Think I may need to change my safety razor up, need some advice from the pros

:a47: How is that possible?

Whether I use a Bakelite handle or a stainless Steel handle with a Tech head with the same blade, the stroke/passes are the same with the same results. It only feels different in my hand but it doesn't cut any different.

The model I'm talking about is the Razorock 37. I swapped a Merkur 33C handle which is smaller. I hadn't used it in a few months, so maybe something changed in between that had nothing to do with the handle. I forget what blade I was using. It just felt less likely to give me razor burn if I wasn't careful.

Then with the 33C head, I tried shaving using a Maggard steel handle after not using it for months and it didn't feels so smooth. It worked before so, yeah, maybe it's just something like the time gap.

Hi All,
I currently use a Edwin Jagger DE 89L. I have been using it for a while and yes it is a great razor but the handle itself gets very slick at times. I am Able to shave above the neck line great, but below the neck it becomes tricky. I have been using it for about a year now and just need to do something different.
I use a Gillette silver blue blade , with Taylor of bond shave cream, I make sure to lather up very well and wash face prior to shaving.
My question is , is there a razor I need to upgrade too? Or switch it up? My neck just isn't getting the close shave it needs. Is that more of a blade/razor or user issue? Or all the above?

Overall I just want to switch it up and try something different. Thanks for your help.
So many better razors out there than that over-hyped rascal the EJ DE 89L . Try any of these new ones from some great sellers: RazoRock German 37 ($20), Parker Variant ($57), Ming Shi 2000s, ($10 shipped from China!) Ikon X3 ($60), Rapira Razor ($10 shipped from Russia, but pretty aggressive), PAA Prismatic ($25), PAA Bakelite Slant ($20; really likes the Astra SP balde). Take your pick. Read some of the review on this site. Any of those will deliver a better shave.

Hi All,
I currently use a Edwin Jagger DE 89L. I have been using it for a while and yes it is a great razor but the handle itself gets very slick at times. I am Able to shave above the neck line great, but below the neck it becomes tricky. I have been using it for about a year now and just need to do something different.
I use a Gillette silver blue blade , with Taylor of bond shave cream, I make sure to lather up very well and wash face prior to shaving.
My question is , is there a razor I need to upgrade too? Or switch it up? My neck just isn't getting the close shave it needs. Is that more of a blade/razor or user issue? Or all the above?

Overall I just want to switch it up and try something different. Thanks for your help.
If you can find the rare but very underrated vintage Gillette DEKonstipator and shave with it, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. See my other thread on this, and if you find one, NEVER let it go!

MB 59; you will not go wrong with a vintage Gillette- a Fat Handle, Pre-War Tech is an excellent starting point in my opinion. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

So many better razors out there than that over-hyped rascal the EJ DE 89L . Try any of these new ones from some great sellers: RazoRock German 37 ($20), Parker Variant ($57), Ming Shi 2000s, ($10 shipped from China!) Ikon X3 ($60), Rapira Razor ($10 shipped from Russia, but pretty aggressive), PAA Prismatic ($25), PAA Bakelite Slant ($20; really likes the Astra SP balde). Take your pick. Read some of the review on this site. Any of those will deliver a better shave.

That statement is a complete YMMV thing. I happen to think the EJ DE89 is a fantastic razor. It is what I started with and still keep in my rotation.

I am a fan of the EJ DE89. I own several other razors, all more expensive, but I use the DE89 more than the others combined. I originally had the lined handle and found that it was a bit slippery. After trying a few different combinations I settled on the Maggard MR11 handle. But after 6+ years the threads on the head of my old DE89 failed, and I bought a new DE89 with a knurled handle from The Modern Man for $22.20 delivered. If you like your DE89 and your only issue is the handle, that's what I would do. The knurled handle has plenty of grip and perfectly matches the finish of the razor.
With regard to your neck, I think it's more to do with technique than the razor or the blade.

That statement is a complete YMMV thing. I happen to think the EJ DE89 is a fantastic razor. It is what I started with and still keep in my rotation.
Nope it's not. There are many better razors. Just look around these boards. If you haven't discovered them yet, then enjoy the journey. The DE89 is so overrated. Many enjoy MacDonalds. Good for them. It doesn't make McDonalds good food. Just popular.

Nope it's not. There are many better razors. Just look around these boards. If you haven't discovered them yet, then enjoy the journey. The DE89 is so overrated. Many enjoy MacDonalds. Good for them. It doesn't make McDonalds good food. Just popular.

I have many razors and I like them all for different reasons. What you are saying is an opinion, you do not speak for the entire population of the shaving world, you definitely don't speak for me! Maybe in your own little mind everything you say is fact, luckily for me I have a brain of my own to help me decide what I think is best. Don't bother to reply, at this point I can honestly care less about your opinions.

I have many razors and I like them all for different reasons. What you are saying is an opinion, you do not speak for the entire population of the shaving world, you definitely don't speak for me! Maybe in your own little mind everything you say is fact, luckily for me I have a brain of my own to help me decide what I think is best. Don't bother to reply, at this point I can honestly care less about your opinions.
I'll reply if I wish that's my choice; whether you read or respond is your choice. Believe me I have no desire to speak for you. Again you misunderstand. Of course I'm expressing an opinion. Most of what's here is an opinion. Including yours. When did I claim to "speak for the entire population of the shaving world"? You just don't like an opinion that challenges yours that's all. I just happen to think your opinion is wrong and your advice flawed. How many razors have you tried? What are you comparing your razors to? You can see numerous tests and reviews of all the razors I mentioned from others and lot's of discussion. There seems to be a consensus that there are better razors out there for this person to try. Why not say something about what you've actually found? If you look you'll see I have tested and reviewed, a number of razors and blades and posted what I've found. Have you? The worst thing for someone looking to make a choice is wishy washy opinions which say little more than "well this is what I like".

Well guys, I do not know what a "better" razor is..... it is basically meaningless.
I put the same gusto and technique into it when I use any of my various razors. From the humble Tech to the Progress and my vintage Gillette adjustables. And I have wet shaved for years ... just to let you know. In the end result I still get a very close BBS with any of them.... so in that sense they are no better than any others.
Now when one says a razor is "better than" another razor, how is that meant? Does that mean more blade exposure often resulting in a quicker shave with less passes? Does it mean that the mildness of a razor is more valued to someone who appreciates mild razors, and like to take many strokes for a close shave without irritation nor nicks and cuts...... Does it have to do with the versatility offered by an adjustable razor? Does it have to do with the All these different factors involved, nullify any absolute judging. With using simple logic, one can only come to the conclusion that a razor is "better" for the individual shaver.... absolutes and views do not make sense with this in mind. It's very simple.... Use whatever gear that works for you and the products you love and get great shaves from...that is the "better" (Ones favorite razor)
And as always, YMMV.... which is another way to describe all of this.
Respectfully
John H.

Well guys, I do not know what a "better" razor is..... it is basically meaningless.
I put the same gusto and technique into it when I use any of my various razors. From the humble Tech to the Progress and my vintage Gillette adjustables. And I have wet shaved for years ... just to let you know. In the end result I still get a very close BBS with any of them.... so in that sense they are no better than any others.
Now when one says a razor is "better than" another razor, how is that meant? Does that mean more blade exposure often resulting in a quicker shave with less passes? Does it mean that the mildness of a razor is more valued to someone who appreciates mild razors, and like to take many strokes for a close shave without irritation nor nicks and cuts...... Does it have to do with the versatility offered by an adjustable razor? Does it have to do with the All these different factors involved, nullify any absolute judging. With using simple logic, one can only come to the conclusion that a razor is "better" for the individual shaver.... absolutes and views do not make sense with this in mind. It's very simple.... Use whatever gear that works for you and the products you love and get great shaves from...that is the "better" (Ones favorite razor)
Respectfully
John H.
For the most part I agree with this post. I, for example, am not a big fan of vintage razors (perhaps because that's what I grew up using). That doesn't make modern razors better than vintage - it's just a reflection of my preferences.

The only sense in which I would say that some razors are objectively better than others is in things that are clearly measurable such as alignment tolerances, plating consistency and overall build quality. Even there, however, if you happen to purchase a razor that often has poor alignment and plating but your particular razor doesn't exhibit those problems, then you would be justified in your opinion that the xxxx razor is the best you've ever used.

I never got along with my EJ89. I wish I had abandoned it sooner. Look into getting a vintage Gillette Slim (or Fat Boy, but the slim is a better value). The adjustability will provide an easy way for you to check out whether your skin/beard/technique gets along better with a more or less aggressive razor.

Also, make sure to really map your beard. Even if you think you already have, do it again. It wasn't until my second go round I realized some of the hairs at the bottom of my neck grow upwards! This made a world of difference in avoiding irritation/nicks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I started off using the Mühle R89, which I believe is the same head as the EJ on a different handle, but found it was just too mild for me, whichever blade I used. It was, however, a great razor on which to re-learn DE shaving.

For the price of a new handle, you could get yourself a completely new razor, and that's personally what I would do. The adjustables will allow you to experiment and find what works best for you in terms of assertiveness, but I can't miss the opportunity to plug my personal favourite - the Fatip Piccolo. It's very compact, so manoeuvrability under the jawline shouldn't be an issue, and you get a nickel-plated brass razor for under $30. What's not to like?!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The DE89 is a fine razor, but its not the best for everyone's face. It didn't work well for me. But that's okay. You could experiment with different handles if you like. Or experiment with different brands. I'm partial to Merkur myself. But I also like vintage Gillettes, especially the Red Tip Superspeed. I think you just have to try different things and figure out what works best for you. For me, that's part of the fun. On the otherhand, if you don't have the time and/or money to be messing around with lots of different razors, than just get yourself an adjustable and be done with it. Good luck.

Hi All,
I currently use a Edwin Jagger DE 89L. I have been using it for a while and yes it is a great razor but the handle itself gets very slick at times. I am Able to shave above the neck line great, but below the neck it becomes tricky. I have been using it for about a year now and just need to do something different...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have two parts/questions here?

You like your EJ but find it slippery/slick at times, and you want something closer for your neck. It sounds like you like your EJ but would like to do something about its perceived weakness, and you also want something more aggressive.

For the first part, you have a lot of suggestions for a new handle, and that is one possibility. There are fewer suggestions for a cheaper solution. You can also simply put some alum on your fingers and you'd be surprised how much that will alleviate grip issues (I do it all the time for certain brushes that used to get slippery when lathering and the slickness goes completely away). If you want a new handle, Maggards and Italian Barber/RazoRock has quite a few nice stainless handles for quite a bit less than some of the other handle only options (Ikon, Weber). Heck, with either (and especially RR) you can get an entire razor for less than $20 (I love my RR OLD Type and the aggressive Mentor is nice, and they come with nice handles, though I like their $14 Barber Pole handle best). Either option would nicely fix your slickness issue with the DE89 and make it more usable if you like it (the new handle would almost make it perform like a new razor, and through Maggards or Italian Barber/RR can be inexpensive, so you may want to do both).

If you want to try a new, more aggressive/efficient razor, for a closer shave (especially in the more difficult areas), I have a few favorites. My RazoRock OLD Type OC is not really any more aggressive (probably a nice middle ground "mild to medium" aggressive razor), but it is quite efficient and comfortable as well. For something truly dialing it up a peg, the Schone is quite aggressive yet very smooth and comfortable (I get just as comfortable a shave with my Schone as I do my EJ or Merkur 38). My Fatip Piccolo is similar to the Schone but not quite a smooth/comfortable (it took a couple shaves to get it right, the Schone was terrific from the start), but after a few shaves it is aggressive/efficient and comfortable and smooth. If you want to stay with a safety bar (no real reason to, but it can be a personal preference), the RazoRock Mentor is quite aggressive and efficient (Italian Barber, the retailer, rates it at 8 out of 10 on the aggressiveness scale), but smooth and comfortable. Mine is well aligned, but do be careful as some can have alignment issues.

Respectfully
John H.
No YMMV is just another way of dodging specifics. It's an odious, meaningless phrase. Of course we all have individual requirements and there are variation in skin, beard, etc. But we don't have to keep remind each other of that. It goes without say.
Do you also believe that all cars are the same because (assuming they don't break down) that they can all get you to the same place? There's no difference between them? Or that all cookware is the same because you can boil and egg in any pan. Meaningful comparisons measure specifics. The requirements vary. A formula one racing car is not a practical means of getting a family of four to the airport, and a limousine is not going to do well on the racetrack.
A razor should be able to exhibit a number of characteristics by which it can be judged like anything else. Yet there are some general characteristics that we all want. If after your years of wet shaving, you can't distinguish between these, then it doesn't matter to you does it? So why bother to even look at boards like this?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Gents,

Keep in mind we are just talking about shaving. We all have different opinions of "best razor" "best blade" "best soap" and so on. We don't all have to agree but we do have to maintain gentlemanly discourse. Let's do our best to uphold the gentlemanly standards we are known for. Enough of the bickering.

Cheers!

Top Bottom