What's new

Thin Blue Smoke Thread II- BBQ 2010

I visited a friend yesterday and he introduced me to a new, Arabic seasoning that is going to become a staple around here.

It is called Zaatar (accent on the first "a") and this version consists of a mix of ground thyme, sumac, sesame seeds and salt.

You can dip a piece of bread in olive oil and then into the Zaatar powder and eat it, use it mixed with olive oil as a base for pizza-like bread topped with olives and onions, or on grilled meat, like the chicken thighs I did tonight. YUM

I added a baked sweet potato and some steamed broccoli and had a nice meal to start the week.

It was outstanding on the chicken! I can hardly wait to try the pizza.

Had a woman introduce me to it at a local Middle-Eastern Market back in Undergrad. She said it was a good way to eat cheap with lots of flavor. For me it was mixed with olive oil on pita, baked and then add a little Feta.

Michael

I got a wild hair today and decided that I would debone some chicken legs and stuff them with a mixture of ground lamb.

I started out mixing the lamb, with spinach, chopped pistachios, onions, and ricotta cheese and seasoned it all with DP, Dizzy Dust.

proxy.php

The deboned legs created a natural pocket that I was able to stuff and I ended up with 14 legs that weighed just shy of 6 ounces each. I coated the outside with Dizzy Dust too.

proxy.php

I roasted some new potatoes and cooked the legs, direct, on a raised grate, at 325-350, with cherry and pecan for smoke.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I served the chicken and potatoes with some baked, butternut squash. PDG, if I do say so myself.

proxy.php

Some nice looking eats Bob! I love the legs stuffed, got the wheels turning now.

You guys are going to get tired of me cooking lamb, but this will be the last one for a while.

I took the leftover stuffing from the chicken legs and stuffed it into a breast of lamb (bone in brisket).

proxy.php

I coated it with Dizzy Dust -- just like the legs.

proxy.php

I cooked it indirect, at between 300-350 with mulberry wood for flavor (a lot like cherry to me).

proxy.php

Here it is sliced.

proxy.php

I served it with baked, acorn squash that I seasoned with butter and DP, Pineapple Head rub and another side of sauteed onions, Brussels sprouts and fennel.

proxy.php

For today, I grilled some chicken, glazed it with a sweet tamarind sauce.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I served it with some white rice and a nice rich mole sauce.

proxy.php

We had a friend over for dinner and a ball game and ended up with enough food for an army. He is from Mexico and brought some great guac and some chicharones en salsa verde (fried pig skin in green sauce) that is one of my favorites!!!

I added some wings with Uncle Henry's, Raspberry Chipotle rub and mies breading. They were great.

proxy.php

I just had to have some pizza so made one with a green sauce and a traditional pepperoni.

The first one was cooked at 650 and came out just right.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The second one was at 750 and got just a touch too done, but still PDG

proxy.php

We had a friend over for dinner and a ball game and ended up with enough food for an army. He is from Mexico and brought some great guac and some chicharones en salsa verde (fried pig skin in green sauce) that is one of my favorites!!!

I added some wings with Uncle Henry's, Raspberry Chipotle rub and mies breading. They were great.

proxy.php

I just had to have some pizza so made one with a green sauce and a traditional pepperoni.

The first one was cooked at 650 and came out just right.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The second one was at 750 and got just a touch too done, but still PDG

proxy.php

Bob,

Are you getting the breading from Rodak's?

Michael

I needed a steak tonight, so I decided to do it up right.

I picked up a couple of big NY strips and seasoned them with salt and cracked pepper.

proxy.php

I did a reverse sear and put them on at 250 with some mesquite. It took 48 minutes to get to between 110-115 in the center and as you can see, they still look raw.

proxy.php

I decided to pan sear these inside and then make a pan sauce. Here they were at the turn.

proxy.php

I served the steak with some caramelized onion, a baked potato and the sauce, which was made by sauteing some shallots, deglazing with red wine, mounting a stick of butter and then adding the steak drippings.

proxy.php

FYI that is all that was left of this mess of onions. Those bad boys were really sweet and good!

proxy.php

proxy.php

I made a couple of pies tonight and they really turned out good. The first one is a little unusual and I took extra pictures.

I started by rubbing a mixture of EVOO, garlic, fresh rosemary, and salt on the crust.

proxy.php

Then I hit it with a layer of fig jam and Gorgonzola cheese.

proxy.php

Finally I topped it with prosciutto.

proxy.php

Here it is, ready to pull.

proxy.php

The second pie was a regular ol' pepperoni with a three cheese mix (sharp white cheddar, aged provolone, and mozzarella).

proxy.php

Top Bottom