What's new

Thin Blue Smoke Thread II- BBQ 2010

Post your BBQ and grilled successes! Got a low and slow question? Post away.

~ Gassers post at your own risk!~

The original thread is HERE

So WHATS COOKIN'?

I know this probably goes in the acquisitions thread, but it fits so well in the thin blue smoke one too.... I got a Large Big Green Egg! First thing I cooked was two 5 LB boston butts, did em for nine hours. I injected them with an apple juice and some other stuff concoction and made a good rub. I will post the recipe soon. Turned out great, best sandwiches I ever laid teeth on! I also did some pizzas the other night, just the market fresh ones from wally world. Those turned out amazing too! I love the egg!!! Thank you to those that aided me with my purchase. I got basically all the accessories to go with it. No pictures of that pork, it disappeared way too quickly!

Congratulations Dustin!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Did you get the pizza stone? I make or buy fresh dough and then cook it on the egg with the pizza stone. The crust comes out fantastic!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This is a lovely way to start the new year.

I seem to be noticing that in some of the pics from 2009 that the briskets shown seem to have the fat cap mostly trimmed off. What are your opinions on this?

I didnt get the bge pizza stone, I got one from bed bath and beyond. It is 15.5", and works perfectly! I need to try my hand at making a pizza from scratch someday though! Food lion is having a sale here in NC on boston butts, 5 pounders for about $4.25. I bought three! Pics will follow along with those!

I didnt get the bge pizza stone, I got one from bed bath and beyond. It is 15.5", and works perfectly! I need to try my hand at making a pizza from scratch someday though! Food lion is having a sale here in NC on boston butts, 5 pounders for about $4.25. I bought three! Pics will follow along with those!

The good ole' Food Lion! I lived in NC for a few years. Man, it is sure hard to get barbecue like I had there here in CA. Glad I make some pretty decent BBQ, if I do say so myself.

I may have to pick up a butt or two, you're making me hungry!

This is a lovely way to start the new year.

I seem to be noticing that in some of the pics from 2009 that the briskets shown seem to have the fat cap mostly trimmed off. What are your opinions on this?

On my baby I place the fat cap down facing the heat. I trim the fatcap to 1/2 inch or so.

A full brisket is tough to find some places - I do see just flats in some of the photos.

My new ProQ Cold Smoke Generator arrived on Saturday and it was too late in the weekend to smoke anything and too nasty to just play with it.

http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html

I bought some salmon and duck breasts tonight and just put the cure on them and got them. I can hardly wait until Saturday.

proxy.php

I have a mix of InstaCure + Brown sugar on both. The duck is seasoned with crushed juniper berries, bay leaves and pepper and the salmon just has a little pepper added.

I can hardly wait!!!

I just got me a 7 pound boston butt. And about 25 jalapeno peppers that are going to be filled with pepperjack cheese, slice of habanero, then wrapped in bacon and smoked for about two hours, then have the heat brought up to crisp the bacon on em. A little splash of some bbq sauce on the outside and voila! Pics of the setup to come tomorrow when I start. I got the book Peace, Love, and BBQ by Mike Mills. He runs 17th street bar and grill right near my hometown in Murphysboro, IL. Im using his apple city bbq sauce recipe. Won world grand champion like four times at the memphis in may cookoffs!

Ok...I've been meaning to post here for a while. This was my Thanksgiving Turkey. I do one every year...it's the only turkey the kids want to eat. I don't have any pictures of it sliced....it didn't last that long!

FWIW....I did this on my standard Weber, with a temp gauge that I stuck in the top of the dome. It cooked for about 9 hours at about 180-195 over mesquite charcoal (real mesquite) with peachwood for added smoke. It was unbelievably good. Enjoy the pics.

PS....I just moved to Texas, so I'm gonna start working on brisket pretty soon. There's a fellow in town who is an award winning brisket cook (he pulled down over $1,700 last year for his brisket at one competition) who said next time he does brisket he'll have me come over and show me the ropes. Gotta love those friendly Texans....

I am pretty impressed with this little rig.

I loaded up the smoker with sawdust. If you look close, you can see the upper left, I started with the oak sawdust that was supplied with the unit. It is very fine sawdust - like a table saw rather than a chainsaw. I then switched to some apple wood sawdust that I bought from Butcher and Packer. It is a good bit more coarse, but seemed to burn fine.

proxy.php

I put the smoke unit inside an aluminum pan, because the XL had a good bit of lump in it and I wanted the unit to be stable and I did not want to risk igniting the lump. The candle used to ignite the sawdust is in the lower right corner.

proxy.php

The outside temp was right at 32 (measured with my thermopen) and the temp inside the cooker was at 44.

Here is the salmon and duck breast after 6 hours of smoke.

proxy.php

There was a constant stream of smoke, but it was not enough to catch with my camera.

proxy.php

Here is a picture of the smoker after 6 hours. You can see that it had a good bit more time left.

proxy.php

I sliced some of the duck breast and gave it a quick cook in a skillet.

proxy.php

I wrapped that around some cheese filled dates and toasted them under the broiler. This was a pretty good start to a nice dinner, with some spatchcocked chicken and mashed taters.

proxy.php

I am going to let the salmon rest until tomorrow and give it a try.

Man....that's quite a rig! What kind of BBQ is that you have there? Looks different from the ones I've seen.

Nice smoking there, BobS. SWMBO and I are on a diet for the next few weeks, which pretty much precludes me smoking most of what I want to right now. I grill a few chicken breasts on the Egg just to feel like I'm still using my toys. :sad:

You're making me hungry with that duck and salmon!!

Top Bottom