What's new

Thin Blue Smoke Thread II- BBQ 2010

by bringing the stack down i'm eliminating a cold spot. The heat is trapped the top and can only escape at the grill surface. before, the area furthest from the heat source would be 20-50F cooler as heat would just rise and bypass that area. - so now i can fit more birds in her and have a much more consistent temp across the board. - last time i did 5 birds at once!

It also seams to help hold a more rich smoke in the upper part, coating the food with a magnificent flavor....

great. .. . now i'm hungry and its not even 6am here....

by bringing the stack down i'm eliminating a cold spot. The heat is trapped the top and can only escape at the grill surface. before, the area furthest from the heat source would be 20-50F cooler as heat would just rise and bypass that area. - so now i can fit more birds in her and have a much more consistent temp across the board. - last time i did 5 birds at once!

It also seams to help hold a more rich smoke in the upper part, coating the food with a magnificent flavor....

great. .. . now i'm hungry and its not even 6am here....

Thanks! That is a great idea.

any of you ever dabble in cold smoking?

I made this earlier this year.. its not pretty - but it works quite well

proxy.php

^on the left is the smoking chamber, on the right is where the smoke is produced - a small ember eats up through the can with air fed by an aquarium air pump... its just slow enough to give me about 10 hours of smoke per load. ... by the time the smoke travels through the duct it had cooled completely and due to the angle of the duct - most of the condensation has dropped out as well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

cold smoked trout - good on counter for months - in fridge even longer.....

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's a neat looking set-up for cold smoking. The only things I've cold smoked are bacon and some cheese.

I just use a regular water smoker and put about 6 briquets of charcoal along with a chunk of hickory or something. I keep an eye on the temp. so it stays between 80-100 degrees.

If you want, you can send me a couple of the smoked trout...for taste-testing purposes. :biggrin1:

thanks and yep it was a decent year for trout fishing. this was also my first year fly fishing and that how i caught these - boy what a blast ... but now i cant wait until Ice fishing gets going

I got home on Friday night and our daughter and SIL and grandson were visiting so had a GREAT weekend. My better half had things for Saturday all planned out, so I did not get in a cook until today.

I fixed some wings and ribs for the Titans game with the Eagles. I added baked beans and Susan added a tarter salad.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I was stuffed as a tick! Everyone seemed to leave happy and the kids got the leftovers to take home.

I am headed back to Calgary tomorrow and will get home on Friday night.

I got home on Friday night and our daughter and SIL and grandson were visiting so had a GREAT weekend. My better half had things for Saturday all planned out, so I did not get in a cook until today.

I fixed some wings and ribs for the Titans game with the Eagles. I added baked beans and Susan added a tarter salad.

I was stuffed as a tick! Everyone seemed to leave happy and the kids got the leftovers to take home.

I am headed back to Calgary tomorrow and will get home on Friday night.
Those Ribs Look Awesome! I just got done with dinner and I'm salivating - :thumbup:

here is the 18 pounds of Picnic roasts that got turned into pulled pork for the UFC fights.. sorry no finished pictures.

My wife makes a pretty mean pulled pork - one of her best meals - I love the stuff!

here is the 18 pounds of Picnic roasts that got turned into pulled pork for the UFC fights.. sorry no finished pictures.

I've been really interested in those BSK or bubba kegs. What's your opinion of the cooker? I've heard the bubba kegs are better than the BGE in every area except heat control. But also heard that the BSK has fixed those issues.

Good to see someone using one.

Finally back to my cooker! 20# of pork shoulders, beef short ribs, baby backs, and will be adding some sausage shortly. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

got a little cool and windy...

proxy.php

Some stuffed hot peppers, smoked sausage, and smoked soprasade.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks Jim!
Tom

Last edited:
I visited a friend yesterday and he introduced me to a new, Arabic seasoning that is going to become a staple around here.

It is called Zaatar (accent on the first "a") and this version consists of a mix of ground thyme, sumac, sesame seeds and salt.

You can dip a piece of bread in olive oil and then into the Zaatar powder and eat it, use it mixed with olive oil as a base for pizza-like bread topped with olives and onions, or on grilled meat, like the chicken thighs I did tonight. YUM

proxy.php

I added a baked sweet potato and some steamed broccoli and had a nice meal to start the week.

proxy.php

It was outstanding on the chicken! I can hardly wait to try the pizza.

I've been really interested in those BSK or bubba kegs. What's your opinion of the cooker? I've heard the bubba kegs are better than the BGE in every area except heat control. But also heard that the BSK has fixed those issues.

Good to see someone using one.

PM sent!!!

It was 45 and raining tonight. I would never have dreamed of going out to cook on a night like this, when I was using a gasser, and now it seems like the most natural thing in the world.

I roasted some new potatoes that had been coated with EVOO, S&P and dill.

proxy.php

I put a coffee rub on some lamb, shoulder steaks.

proxy.php

Then I added a salad and added some sauteed asparagus. Darn good even if the neighbors thought I was nuts. :blink::laugh:

proxy.php

It was 45 and raining tonight. I would never have dreamed of going out to cook on a night like this, when I was using a gasser, and now it seems like the most natural thing in the world.

I roasted some new potatoes that had been coated with EVOO, S&P and dill.

proxy.php

I put a coffee rub on some lamb, shoulder steaks.

proxy.php

Then I added a salad and added some sauteed asparagus. Darn good even if the neighbors thought I was nuts. :blink::laugh:

proxy.php

I'm so very jealous right now..... good work

Top Bottom