What's new

Thin Blue Smoke Thread II- BBQ 2010

About to attempt my first smoked meat recipe. I'm doing the Alton Brown pulled pork, and I'm sure someone in this crowd has probably done that one a few times. Any words of advice and/or suggestions are, as always, appreciated!

I got back from Long Island and needed a quick fix before I head out for a week of traveling.

I decided on a rack of lamb on the Small. I seasoned the rack with Dizzy Dust and cooked it direct, on a raised grate, with some pecan for flavor.

proxy.php

I added a baked potato and some sauteed mushrooms and ended up with a really nice meal.

I realized the other day that because I'd been traveling all summer, it's been about six months since I've BBQ'd. Simply unacceptable! On Monday, I made a new jug of vinegar sauce (NC, of course) and a big jar of rub. Today I was up early and got the fire going. The pork shoulder has been in for a while now. Tonight I have to got to an office Christmas party, so I'll be taking the fixings for pulled pork sandwiches. Get a good sleep tonight, then put a big picnic in for Sunday. Nice to be back at it!

Back to the cooker; 2 butts, spares, skirt steak, and sausage with a cherry wood fire.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Split some cherry between mopping.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tom

Last edited:
I got back from Long Island and needed a quick fix before I head out for a week of traveling.

I decided on a rack of lamb on the Small. I seasoned the rack with Dizzy Dust and cooked it direct, on a raised grate, with some pecan for flavor.

I added a baked potato and some sauteed mushrooms and ended up with a really nice meal.

what temp direct?

We're having a little family gathering tonight, and I decided to fire up the BBQ for it. I have to give thanks to Jim for his excellent rib rub recipe. I tried it for the first time the other day. Just about identical to the rub I use, but the addition of nutmeg gives it a little something special.

Anyway, I made pulled pork with NC vinegar sauce, coleslaw, my secret baked bean recipe (decoded from Ford's Filling Station in CA), English cucumbers thinly sliced in sushi vinegar, and basic cornbread. I was planning to put up a couple of photos, but I have to run off to the airport to pick up my daughter, who's been having trouble with her connections. Hope somebody saves me some!

I was asked a month ago if I could cook up some brisket for our Christmas party for Church. I said sure and then 2 weeks ago when I asked how much I should probably get to smoke my bishop asked me to do enough for 200 people. Luckily I own 2 smokers and was able to talk the local grocery store to order me a case of brisket for me. Well for 48 hours last week I cooked and sliced over 90 pounds of meat. Took all of it to Church Friday morning to let others warm it up because I had to referee a 2day wrestling tournament. Got done too late to go to the party. Sunday morning all everyone could do was tell me how good it was. I asked if any was left and eeryone would tell me they passed on the turkey and ham and just ate my brisket. I think the next time I do this I save some for me. Only got a little taste as I was cutting, wife did not get any. I am in the doghouse with her about this.

I can hardly contain myself. I'm supposed to be getting my new BSK tomorrow & The tracking for the diffuser kit says it's sitting on my porch. MMMmmm.. Tasty

We got back from Dallas yesterday and I was too tired to cook anything last night so we went with our favorite Chinese take-out.

Tonight I needed to cook and it started with shoveling a little snow on the patio and a drift outside the back door.

proxy.php

I am sure I was the only one grilling in the neighborhood and it did not feel strange at all.

proxy.php

Here they are as I was getting ready to pull them off the small. You can see a piece of pecan that I used for flavor.

proxy.php

I added a backed potato and some sauteed asparagus and had a nice meal.

proxy.php

Man, This thread has really inspired me to try some new recipes and take my bbq to a new level. There are some awesome eats that you all have posted here. Looking forward to the 2011 thread.:thumbup1:
-Jake

wow, just saw this thread. Some of you guys have some mighty impressive set ups.

Mine isn't top of the line but it does quite a good job, i'll try to post some pics later.
I started with a decent, run of the mill 4 burner hooded and made a few modifications to make get it how i wanted it.

I use the rotisserie on it fairly often, i love a good piece of pork done on the rotisserie with the smoker box running. Can't beat it!

Top Bottom