You-Drunk-Very-Funny.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Cal
Perma-Sharp #65

Fatip Gentile
Omega 10051
Proraso Green preshave

Lea Shave Stick (unstuck)

Good soap, good shave. Good drama free shave. 2 passes, WTG, XTG and a minor clean-up along my jawline. No surprises, no tugging, no blood, no irritation. A very good shave.

This gave me the space to be able to assess my brush action. Loading I used just the tips, dipping to add water as necessary, three times tonight. Towards the end I turned the brush on it's side and pushed the tips across the surface of the soap in a shovelling motion. It loaded easily, turning into the creamy consistency I was looking for in around a minute.

Next, I wet my face with my left hand and started swirling immediately on my right jawbone, using firm but gentle pressure, barely splaying. I only used painting motions over my mouth and upper lip. I swirled and quarter splayed on the underside of my chin and jaw, with a half to two thirds splay on my neck, even close to fully splayed there at times. I rarely splayed at all above the jawline. When the lather was just about ready, no bubbles, dense and yoghurty, and with a slight sheen, I dipped the tips and painted the extra water in above the jaw, dipped again and painted that in below. I dipped a third time for good measure.

Just like Mike and Al, I can say that this soap is the best of the trial so far. If all hard soaps load and lather this easily then I look forward to welcoming Trumper's Violet to my brood. The scent is mild but nostalgic and joyful. It smells like going for a swim on a Saturday morning.

The post shave is very nice. My skin feels clean, smooth and cool. Not like I've shaved at all. It should last well, even for someone with as large an appetite for soap as me. I don't seem to have made much of a dent in it yet.

I'll see what I can do about that, haha.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just like Mike and Al, I can say that this soap is the best of the trial so far. If all hard soaps load and lather this easily then I look forward to welcoming Trumper's Violet to my brood. The scent is mild but nostalgic and joyful. It smells like going for a swim on a Saturday morning.

On this one, or the Trumper's Violet? How did we get from this to Trumper's Violet anyway? Have I skipped a link between the two somewhere?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Lea!

Blade flipped and in the MMOC where it belongs!

The Brush, nearly dry!

I didnt wet the soap and just dipped the tips of the brush to get some slide and loaded what should have been extremely heavy but wasnt. It was heavy enough though, for 3 passes and 1 cleanup. Slick enough too.

N>S, S>N, ATG, ATG.

No issues but quite a bit of blade feel. Nice and smooth though. Cushion isnt the best but its completely acceptable. I needed two ATG passes because, lacking cushion, I couldnt use my usual amount of pressure. Something I really miss not using my top soaps lately.

Post shave is, again, very good. Slight razor burn on the corners of my chin but its sure a BBS finish this time!

I really like the scent too, when I take time to notice it anyway.

I like this soap, even if I cant shave as aggressively or as quickly as I might like.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Cushion isnt the best but its completely acceptable. I needed two ATG passes because, lacking cushion, I couldnt use my usual amount of pressure.

... and yet there's way too much for me, if I don't keep thinning it down. Even to the point of having to add more water between passes. Obviously, vastly different shaving techniques though. Maybe when your brush starts to drag, dip the tips again, and load a little more?

No shave for me today. At the 24 hour mark, there wasn't enough there to worry about after yesterday's perfection chasing shave. As I'm still using it in stick form, it will be interesting to see if my face loads any faster with 48 hour growth. I'm not going to try mine in a bowl, as with the Palmolive, the only difference between stick and moulded to a bowl, is the ease of loading the brush, which isn't particularly significant to me anyway. Also, I'll be keeping it in stick form for convenience/travel etc.

Maybe when your brush starts to drag, dip the tips again, and load a little more?

Sounds like that might work. I had cushion as good as Proraso and Proraso has very good cushion. I didn't get a whole load of residual slickness with Lea but that's ok, I shave where there's lather most of the time.

I needed two ATG passes because, lacking cushion, I couldnt use my usual amount of pressure.

I find cushion essential for the same reason. I used a lot of pressure over the front edge of my chin last shave and in total comfort. I don't think I could've done it without enough cushion so I expect it's in the soap, it just needs to be found.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Loading the stick into 48 hour stubble, certainly delivered enough lather today, without an extended loading time. I still probably loaded a bit more than I would with Palmolive, but not excessively so.

Another great shave was had. Effortless three pass shave, with zero fuss or drama. A very safe soap. Therefore a potentially boring soap after a while. I'm not there yet though. After the two previous samples, which needed a bit of thought to create the best lather, it's nice to be able to take the brain out, and just let the shave happen.

I might try a different razor for the next shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe when your brush starts to drag, dip the tips again, and load a little more?

Maybe I explained things wrong. I loaded heavy but I didnt get the thick, pasty, dry lather I like to start with. Even loaded heavily it was light and a bit frothy. When I added water it gave me a ton of lather. I washed out more from my brush than I used but I needed to use that much, or even more, to have the kind of lather I like. Loading more would just give me more lather again.

I don't think I could've done it without enough cushion so I expect it's in the soap, it just needs to be found.

I dont like hunting for it, it should just be there. Thats why I like Wickham, CRS and SV so much. It doesnt matter how much you load, just add water until its thinned out enough. The slickness and cushion will be there regardless, even with too much water. All I need to do is work it a bit more.

Loading any of those, if I had loaded as aggressively as I did the Lea I would have had enough lather to fill a gallon pail. I need to overload Lea to get close to a lather I like where with my others I need to load very little. SV needs to be loaded so lightly its ridiculous. I bet I could load it just panting lightly over the puck a half dozen times. Then it just needs to be worked. The more its worked the more lather I get and its not lacking in any area.

Lea reminded me of Arko but smells much nicer. The lathers are very similar and when I was shaving yesterday I thought that Lea would be a better match on my shelf than Arko. I might however, miss the smell of Arko. Theres something about it I cant put my finger on. Because of that I'm very curious about La Toja.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Maybe I explained things wrong. I loaded heavy but I didnt get the thick, pasty, dry lather I like to start with. Even loaded heavily it was light and a bit frothy.

I've certainly had that issue with other soaps, but not this one. I'm loading differently though. Even loading comparatively heavy (for me), I doubt I'm using much more than 0.5g, and it's not frothing or delaying. Pretty much instant rich (too rich) lather if I use enough soap, and it kind of just gets cleaned off the face and lies dormant in the brush if I don't load enough.

We're using the same brush, so I'm guessing it's water differences.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
We're using the same brush, so I'm guessing it's water differences.

The water here is very soft. Its all I've ever used for lathering. maybe on the next trip up north, if we ever get out of this virus, I'll try it with water right out of Lake Superior and see how it works haha.

I didn't have to do anything special to get a great lather, it just popped up.

Pun intended lol.

Top Bottom