What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just shaved. Best shave yet with this soap.

Brush started slightly wetter than normal, though not intentionally. Loaded heavy, not to Wes proportions, but about double what I normally would. Maybe a little more. Face lathered, and got the usual mediocre first pass lather. I tried face lathering longer, and the lather of the face barely improved ... but ... the bristle in the brush got stiff! Eureka! I pulled the knot through my fist, and there was a dollop of the good third pass stuff. I collected that back up with the brush, and started working that into the preliminary lather. It looked quite good!

I reached across for the razor, and that's when I saw it was still in three pieces from having discarded the blade at the last shave. Oops! Forgot about that. I reached down for the little tupperware blade pot that I keep in the bathroom, and it wasn't there! Into the bedroom I went trying to find it. It wasn't in the drawer with soaps and blades, nor was it in the drawer I keep razors and travel stuff in. There was a blade in the Razorine shavette though, so I nicked that blade instead. (I since found the tub - I'd put it somewhere stupid)

I was probably away from the sink for somewhere around 90 seconds, and the sheen had faded of the lather, and when I took the brush to the face, sure enough, it needed a little more moisture. It didn't take much to correct it, and with assembled and loaded razor, I went to work. Brilliant. Third pass performance on the first pass. Second pass was good too, although I did need to add a little more moisture again. By the third pass, I had to pull the knot through my hand again to rescue the lather hiding within. Again, very comfortable, but with sufficient feel and awareness.

Closeness was slightly impaired, as the lather had the dreaded cushion which made the razor float a little. There was plenty of residual slickness to go back and fine tune things though. It's not the best soap for my mild Jagger razor, but would probably work well with my IKon SBS. I'll try that when we get to the Mahogany sample.

Overall, very nice shave indeed. Great comfort, scent, glide, residual slickness, and of course post shave feel. Closeness I have already addressed, and the only other thing lacking on the lather in this shave was flow! I said on my very first shave with this stuff, that it's sticky. That stickiness is causing the best part of the lather to cling within the bristles, and it needs manually fetching from the knot. It can get stuck back in there again too.

Maybe it was lathering till the bristles got stiff, then excavating the good stuff from the knot that made the difference, or maybe it was just leaving it to dwell a while on the face. Either way, I feel a lot better about this soap after this shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That stickiness is causing the best part of the lather to cling within the bristles, and it needs manually fetching from the knot. It can get stuck back in there again too.

I splay the knot when I lather, completely. If you're just using the tip to make a lather I can see that happening, kinda, but knots splay for a reason. Thats why my Maggard, that was a bulb knot originally(left) has gone from this profile.

IMG_2999.jpg

To this profile as its broken in.

IMG_3128.JPG

Use the brush. Well, I suppose you dont really use the razor so why would you use the brush? :001_tongu lol.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is there a dent in the centre of the knot?

I'd be surprised if there isn't a huge dent in his face, the way he mashes blade and brush into it :lol:

I splay the knot when I lather, completely. If you're just using the tip to make a lather I can see that happening, kinda, but knots splay for a reason. Thats why my Maggard, that was a bulb knot originally(left) has gone from this profile.

View attachment 1159534

To this profile as its broken in.

View attachment 1159535

Use the brush. Well, I suppose you dont really use the razor so why would you use the brush? :001_tongu lol.

The reason I like the Maggards 22mm, is that it gives me control of the lather, although if I lean on it, it still goes everywhere I don't need it - moustache, goatee, ear hole...

I will splay it a little, but not to the extent you do. I don't have a large enough face 🤣 That's why I will occasionally palm lather though, to open the brush right up, without bending the bristles backwards, like the bowl would if I used it heavy in that.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Is there a dent in the centre of the knot?

The fibers are bent in the center.

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

I load my brushes hard. Abuse might be a good word. I'll splay it so much that I'm loading at the base of the knot by trying to press the handle into the soap. I'll also splay it half way and load with the tips so I'm loading the entire knot. I dont like loading with only the tips, I use the entire knot. I've been using that brush 28 months.

Natural boar and badger bristles dont bend like that. They might over time I suppose but I could see the hairs breaking before being permanently bent like that if not softened sufficiently from soaking.

I used my badger the same way but its way too big a knot and like Al, I'm lathering my whole head with it lol. Using my Omega boar I'm pretty much forced to only using the tips. It has enough backbone and scrub to scrub the skin right off, or remove 100 year old paint from a door...

I couldnt find a happy medium with my boar or my badger. This little Maggard does it all and does it perfectly, even if I do need to 'abuse' it to load it because I'm impatient.

The reason I like the Maggards 22mm, is that it gives me control of the lather, although if I lean on it, it still goes everywhere I don't need it - moustache, goatee, ear hole...

I can keep the lather out of my ears, nose and eyes but I'm not trimming a beard. I splay it the most on my neck. I like to really work the lather into and around my swirls. Remember, I'm also working the lather into 48 hours of growth, or 100 hours, whichever the case may be.

That Maggard brush has very little scrub and even using it very aggressively, it doesnt bother my skin like a boar brush.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just had another very nice shave with the last of the current Overgrowth serving, and a Blue Diamond Titanium blade. I had to employ palm lathering again to get the best from it, but it's the results that matter, and the results were good.

As Wes has nearly finished his sample too, I'll refrain from serving up any more, and just make sure the loading bowls are cleaned up and ready for the next one. I can always fall back on the Malt 'n' Myrtle should I need a fill in shave while the guys are finishing up.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The fibers are bent in the center.

View attachment 1159981

View attachment 1159980

I load my brushes hard. Abuse might be a good word. I'll splay it so much that I'm loading at the base of the knot by trying to press the handle into the soap. I'll also splay it half way and load with the tips so I'm loading the entire knot. I dont like loading with only the tips, I use the entire knot. I've been using that brush 28 months.

Natural boar and badger bristles dont bend like that. They might over time I suppose but I could see the hairs breaking before being permanently bent like that if not softened sufficiently from soaking.

I used my badger the same way but its way too big a knot and like Al, I'm lathering my whole head with it lol. Using my Omega boar I'm pretty much forced to only using the tips. It has enough backbone and scrub to scrub the skin right off, or remove 100 year old paint from a door...

I couldnt find a happy medium with my boar or my badger. This little Maggard does it all and does it perfectly, even if I do need to 'abuse' it to load it because I'm impatient.

I can keep the lather out of my ears, nose and eyes but I'm not trimming a beard. I splay it the most on my neck. I like to really work the lather into and around my swirls. Remember, I'm also working the lather into 48 hours of growth, or 100 hours, whichever the case may be.

That Maggard brush has very little scrub and even using it very aggressively, it doesnt bother my skin like a boar brush.

Wow! You do abuse it!

You took a perfectly good brush, and turned it into something resembling a terrier's arse :lol:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll be shaving tonight, at some point, I think. I have enough Overgrowth left for a half dozen shaves, likely. If not more. You guys are shaving twice as often as I am.

I am looking forward to the scent of London Oatcake Mahogany though.

Wow! You do abuse it!

You took a perfectly good brush, and turned it into something resembling a terrier's arse :lol:

I dont think I do. Its a tool and I use it to do its job. All my tools are well used and still in action. I was thinking about that the other day using my sponge float to finish some parging that gave me a heart attack 5 years ago lol. I've been using the same trowels and that same sponge float for 40 years. Well used, but not abused or they never would have lasted.

When it comes to shaving brushes, the brush needs to suit how I use it with the most important factor being how it affects my skin. If that leads to premature wear, which it may in the case of that little Maggard, sobeit. For $10 I'll buy another. :001_tongu

Parging for 40 years. Damn, I'm one of those 'old guys' now lol.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'll be shaving tonight, at some point, I think. I have enough Overgrowth left for a half dozen shaves, likely. If not more. You guys are shaving twice as often as I am.

I'm still convinced Wes eats his, and I made MANY test lathers trying to figure it out.

Do you want Wes and I to use something else for a while, while you finish that off?

I am looking forward to the scent of London Oatcake Mahogany though.

Me too :thumbsup:

When it comes to shaving brushes, the brush needs to suit how I use it with the most important factor being how it affects my skin. If that leads to premature wear, which it may in the case of that little Maggard, sobeit. For $10 I'll buy another. :001_tongu

Yup. I'm the same with the Jagger. When it's worn out and needs replacing, it's nothing to begrudge, it's because it's done a couple of thousand great shaves

:hand: No Al.

Mike is simply complying with BOSC Maxim #3:
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

I still find the thought of Mike rubbing a bemused terrier on his face, HIGHLY amusing :clown:

Perma-Sharp #63

Fatip Gentile
Omega 10051
Proraso Green preshave

London Oatcake Overgrowth

2 passes, WTG/XTG and a clean-up

As Wes has nearly finished his sample too, I'll refrain from serving up any more, and just make sure the loading bowls are cleaned up and ready for the next one.

Good decision.

It was nice while it lasted.

As I was loading it became clear to me that I could have 2 more mediocre shaves or one great one. I opted for the latter and had a brush chock full of lather. More soap meant the same cushion and better slickness with it. The first pass was easy as pie, no tugging and very little overshaving or overlapping.

I splay it the most on my neck.

Me too, mostly on the first pass. I half splayed on my neck for the second pass as well and a huge white cloud appeared, the lather just as sumptuous as the first time round but slicker still. I managed to get a weeper on my lower lip, right side, then did a farewell clean-up along my jawline. Post shave my skin is a touch dry with a very slight raw feeling. It could be the blade but I'm happier blaming the soap.

You guys are shaving twice as often as I am.

I don't think I am. Every 48 hours. Three shaves and done. Tonights was my best since the start of the trial, dodgy post shave included, but that's not economical enough for me.

I'm still convinced Wes eats his

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Do you want Wes and I to use something else for a while, while you finish that off?

All the same to me. I know this soap as well as I ever will I think.

I still find the thought of Mike rubbing a bemused terrier on his face, HIGHLY amusing :clown:

They make funny sounds. I dont think they like it and I know they dont like being smooshed into the tubs.

I just finished shaving. Two passes, one clean up.

Bullet Tip. PTFE for its 3rd outing, flipped.

I loaded heavy but had too much water in the brush. I promptly filled the empty Stirling tub with light froth, lathered that on my face as well as I could, cleaned up the globs that got flung on the wall, mirror and myself, squeezed the knot out and loaded as much again. That gave me a thick pasty lather but I didnt dip the tips, I just shaved S>N and had no issues but it was plugging up the razor a bit. Before the next pass I wet my face really well and started lathering quickly before the water ran off. That gave just the right amount of needed water and I had a nice shave but I still felt a bit of rawness on my neck. Sitting here now maybe 20 minutes later feeling around, my skin feels nice. Smooth, cool, supple and soft but with just a slight hint of rawness. My shave isnt as close as I thought it would be either. Not quite BBS ATG over my swirls.

Its a good soap but it isnt a great soap for me. The scent almost had me sold but, no cigar.

I was also watching the splay in the knot when I was working the lather into my neck. I push the handle into my skin and the tips of the knot curl and lift away from my skin. I'm really lathering with the base of the knot, top of the handle, over my neck. On my cheeks I'm using small, fast, tight circles with the knot maybe splayed for 1/2 its loft.

Once I'm finished lathering, I paint back and forth to even the lather out. This soap makes a spectacularly white and perfect looking lather but I am shaving in the light from two 12w (1050 Lumen) LED bulbs in a bathroom painted Arctic White with the bulbs directly behind me and above my head.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
All the same to me. I know this soap as well as I ever will I think.

In that case, let's move on :thumbup1:

I was only going to be holding you guys to helping me review/try these four...

IMG_20200821_155429_edit.jpg

... with the others thrown in to try at your leisure. But as we seem to be ploughing through them quickly (or at least Wes is), how about we try this one next?

IMG_20200926_041351.jpg

I was also watching the splay in the knot when I was working the lather into my neck. I push the handle into my skin and the tips of the knot curl and lift away from my skin. I'm really lathering with the base of the knot, top of the handle, over my neck. On my cheeks I'm using small, fast, tight circles with the knot maybe splayed for 1/2 its loft.

That's interesting. I think I use the tips of my Omega mostly, encouraged by the immense backbone but I might splay more than I think. I'll be having a closer look at my brush action next shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That's interesting. I think I use the tips of my Omega mostly, encouraged by the immense backbone but I might splay more than I think. I'll be having a closer look at my brush action next shave.

Wes, I can't remember if I mentioned this, but a note on using face applied shaving sticks.

Squeeze or vigorously shake most of the excess water out of the brush, especially as you're using a boar, and start with painting strokes. If you use a wet brush, you'll just "wash" the soap off, and be left with what looks like dishwater. If you don't start with painting strokes to collect some soap from your face first, you'll scrub your skin raw with the unlubricated brush.

It can be tricky to get the hang of, but it's great for travelling/visiting/holidays etc. It might not suit you, but it's well works trying it for a couple of shaves, before moulding/grating the rest into a dish. Worth trying one without a brush too, just using wet fingetips to lather.

Top Bottom