What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread X - A decade of BBQ

If you are comfortable with it a hammer and bodywork dolly can even up the lid quite a bit. On some of the Bbq sites I have seen it covered.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I took advantage of last week's turkey sales and the still relatively new pellet cooker to do this:

20181127_150517.jpg

I brined it for about 14 hours with the Alton Brown orange juice brine and then smoked it with oak & apple pellets. I would've liked to brine it a little longer, but schedules just wouldn't permit. I think we'll survive.

A late post from Thanksgiving. Top to bottom: ham, beef short rib lollipops, and a turkey breast. Cooked over mesquite. All came out excellent!

Thanksgiving2018.jpg

Pro's - it's not longer clean and unused.
Food was great and moist even with some temperature swings

Con's - The lid leaks a bit of smoke.
The wife still complains about the smoke. I did not expect that to change though. :)

Need to find something to seal it with and buy a temperature monitoring probe.

Woodstove shops will have self-stick high-heat gasket by the foot. In the big picture, offset cookers are not airtight so I would not worry about any leaking smoke. I find draping a wool/wool-blend blanket over the cooking chamber helps speed up getting to temp and stablizing on wet/windy days.

Good looking cooker, good luck with it!

Tom

I took advantage of last week's turkey sales and the still relatively new pellet cooker to do this:

View attachment 930911

I brined it for about 14 hours with the Alton Brown orange juice brine and then smoked it with oak & apple pellets. I would've liked to brine it a little longer, but schedules just wouldn't permit. I think we'll survive.

A late post from Thanksgiving. Top to bottom: ham, beef short rib lollipops, and a turkey breast. Cooked over mesquite. All came out excellent!

View attachment 931060

Nummmm!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You don't find mesquite to strong for poultry?

I've usually been fine with mesquite. The skin might get a a bit acrid, but that's more an issue of fire management. Mesquite needs to burn clean, or anything gets crappy. In any case, the skin on smoked poultry often isn't all that great in the first place unless you can dedicate the fire (i.e., a very hot one).

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
A quickie

7304277C-A2DC-49D9-8261-4D80EC529D40.jpeg

014D1B43-4D0D-450C-A170-E95FA112AD83.jpeg

There was more food but the quickie was the photos!! Didn’t have my phone on me until dinner time!!

There was a whole mess of chicken, loaded ribs, and 3 New York Strips!
Then asparagus and mashed potatoes!
I did almost 100 medium shrimp on the barbie.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I envy y’all!!
I wish I was doing the same.
I am stuck at work for 16 hours.
Glad I fired up the pit last night.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Good bark and smoke ring. Came out tender, but not real juicy inside. Flats don't have a lot of fat so they are typically not juicy.

I've been trying out the pink butcher paper lately and it works really well on whole briskets. I may switch back to foil when doing flats to see if I can get them mo' juicier on the inside.

IMG_1231.JPG

note to self: Stop looking at this thread two hours before dinner. Man, these photos are a great temptation.

Smoked our holiday turkey. Didn't have a strong smoke flavor despite the color. Olive oil injection worked fantastic as always. Bit hard to capture the color correctly. The whole bird photo is pretty accurate.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom