What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread X - A decade of BBQ

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a packer brisket in the freezer...and some ribs. And a bunch of Post Oak firewood.

What to do...what to do.

strop

Now half as wise
My one and only New Year's Resolution was that 2018 would be the year I try my hand at smoking some ribs! I may be asking lots of dumb questions when I get started! I hope all you gentlemen have patience with the new guy!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My one and only New Year's Resolution was that 2018 would be the year I try my hand at smoking some ribs! I may be asking lots of dumb questions when I get started! I hope all you gentlemen have patience with the new guy!
Mine is to do more smoking this year. When it comes to questions, ask away- we have some pros in this little nook of B&B.

777A4EFD-2FAB-417B-B87E-316896E8543D.jpeg
5AF6DFD4-7E51-4716-9BED-2F348A94830E.jpeg
Kamado Joe’s maiden voyage. Pork butt over hickory. This is three hours in. The KJ seems amazing. Temperature has been holding a solid 230 degrees all morning. Ambient temperature here is 55.
So far I’m impressed.....
5AF6DFD4-7E51-4716-9BED-2F348A94830E.jpeg

8AA20910-2986-4C93-89E2-C2021FE8370B.jpeg

.....and 14 hours later, here we are. Weather got creepy cold and somewhat stalled the process. This was a 6 lb. cut; should have been done in 9-10 hours. Cook was at 220-230 degrees until the last hour when I cranked it to a tad over 250. Pulled off the grill at 192 degrees internal temperature.
Nevertheless...mission accomplished. Good eats!!

D32DAFC6-137E-4AE8-B3CA-ABA62C6A5A70.jpeg
62077449-FDD9-48F5-AEDA-86F719D62985.jpeg
162FBC73-ACA6-42BF-8E97-693A3DE8787F.jpeg
I am loving the KJ. Next on the agenda...ribs. My procedure takes a couple-three days.
First-split some seasoned cherry wood. This is work. Had to use my 3 1/2 lb. Council Tool Felling Ax. This cherrywood just smirked at my
Husqvarna/Hults Bruk Swedish Forestry Ax...more like laughed at it really.
Second-tomorrow we season the meat with a special secret rub.
Never was very good at keeping secrets-
1/2 cup each...
Brown sugar, coarse grind black pepper, paprika
1/4 cup each...
Chili powder, kosher salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
Massage into the meat with a firm yet tender hand.
Wrap them back up and refrigerate for a day.
.....more to follow

Last edited:
I have never been much of a cook, but I decided that 2018 was going to be the year that I decide to learn how to grill. Any tips for someone whose only experienced with cooking is how to eat it??

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
View attachment 852814 View attachment 852816 View attachment 852817 I am loving the KJ. Next on the agenda...ribs. My procedure takes a couple-three days.
First-split some seasoned cherry wood. This is work. Had to use my 3 1/2 lb. Council Tool Felling Ax. This cherrywood just smirked at my
Husqvarna/Hults Bruk Swedish Forestry Ax...more like laughed at it really.
Second-tomorrow we season the meat with a special secret rub.
Never was very good at keeping secrets-
1/2 cup each...
Brown sugar, coarse grind black pepper, paprika
1/4 cup each...
Chili powder, kosher salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
Massage into the meat with a firm yet tender hand.
Wrap them back up and refrigerate for a day.
.....more to follow

I'll gladly trade you some un-split, well seasoned post oak for some cherry.

Looks like you are well on the way to a great smoke...even though it was a bit of work. I use an old hatchet and a little five pound sledge hammer to split mine. Here's three logs, about the size of yours, that I split a few days ago.

IMG_0002.JPG

I don't put near the effort into it that you did though...this is how I do it. Don't know if it would work for you.

I have never been much of a cook, but I decided that 2018 was going to be the year that I decide to learn how to grill. Any tips for someone whose only experienced with cooking is how to eat it??
Here is a good read on grilling.

Have you picked out a grill yet? Smoking is a lot different than grilling. With smoking you use a much lower temperature and cook for a longer period of time.

@ackvil
I use an approx. 50-50 mix of lump charcoal and wood. Those split pieces I’ll chop to about 8” long. Load the firebox up and let her go.
That is the technique I used with my WSM and Akorn kamado. Worked great with the WSM (although that was a very fuel hungry rig) and the Akorn was just too difficult to keep at a proper temperature.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I used to use Doc4's recommendation of the karate chop method to split logs, but this is faster.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Since it warmed up today from 8 degrees to upper 30s, I thought K-bobs were in order. Rib Eye steak, bell pepper, onion, and some squash.

IMG_0004.JPG

Even though it got above freezing my little pond had a thin layer of ice on it...nothing like our northern brothers but still chilly. I wouldn't try walking on the ice though.

IMG_0007 (2).JPG

IMG_0009 (2).JPG

I think we are cooking...over some lump charcoal and a bit of hickory from the trees in the yard.

IMG_0015.JPG

A little snack...ribeye, baked 'tater, and grilled veggies.

IMG_0021 (2).JPG

Top Bottom